Why do we continue to run Dime D?

I love the Pelinis' but I think they got schooled a little bit yesterday.

Are they stubborn with their D, i now they are confident, but we didnt seem to get any pressure on the QB or adapt to the runs up the middle.

I realize we only gave up 20 and they had great feild position, i just get frustrated when teams are able to run it right at us.

We have four guys up front being blocked by at least five guys. Our lone LB is out in coverage there is no one left to put pressure on the QB unles we stunt. This is why we need to start learning to play outside of the dime and peso.

Carl has said all along that it's not about how many yards you give up its how many points. Yes this defence bends a lot more than they did in the past, but look at the second half. The Pelini's made adjustments like they always do and texas only scored 3 points in the whole second half. If it wasn't for the one turnover and a blown assignment after that this game could have gone into overtime at 13-13 or been 13-10.

I felt like we played most of the game pretending our front four was dominant like it was last year. Obviously that's far from the case, they are very average and if you didn't believe it before yesterday, Texas and their normally worthless running game proved it. It was pretty obvious after the first quarter that our front four wasn't getting the job done... we needed to make quick adjustments and force Gilbert to beat us passing for the rest of the game. Instead we let them gash us all the way to the final drive. We should've been doing whatever was necessary to force him to pass and pressuring him to make the dangerous throws. Definitely not one of the better days for the Pelinis.

Its getting obvious to me at least that our D is getting run over and our lack of size is hurting us. I understand the peso puts our strengh of speed in the secondary on the field, but we dont run it with two linebacker anyway, why? Its always gomez coming up into the box and Thenarse and PJ at safety.

Does carl not trust Whaley or Martin? Is Comptons injury that big of an issue that forces us to use only one LB throughout the game? What am I missing, we play a great man to man coverage anyway so why not help out with an extra LB in the run support.

Compton healthy or not, id like to see Lavonte get some help from martin/whaley, Gomez just isnt big enough to consistantly help David.

Did Compton play yesterday? I don't remember seeing him on the field.

Its getting obvious to me at least that our D is getting run over and our lack of size is hurting us. I understand the peso puts our strengh of speed in the secondary on the field, but we dont run it with two linebacker anyway, why? Its always gomez coming up into the box and Thenarse and PJ at safety.

Does carl not trust Whaley or Martin? Is Comptons injury that big of an issue that forces us to use only one LB throughout the game? What am I missing, we play a great man to man coverage anyway so why not help out with an extra LB in the run support.

Compton healthy or not, id like to see Lavonte get some help from martin/whaley, Gomez just isnt big enough to consistantly help David.

He played really late in the 4th qtr. I believe he came in after the failed onside kick to try and help in the obvious running situation.

IMO, if he was available to play he shoulda been in there earlier when our run D was getting gashed.

If Compton was available to play they should've changed things up and went with Smith and Gomes at Safety and taken Thenarse out. Thenarse has been decent for us this year, he just couldn't get it started yesterday and seemed to be going for a big play over how he'd been playing all year. The emotion of the game got to him too much. PJ Smith is a baller though, outside of Hagg, Dennard, and Amukamarah he probably played the best out of anyone on defense (think he was our leading tackler, saw he had 9 tackles at one point anyways).

He played really late in the 4th qtr. I believe he came in after the failed onside kick to try and help in the obvious running situation.

IMO, if he was available to play he shoulda been in there earlier when our run D was getting gashed.

He was in before that actually. I thought towards the end of the third but it may have been the fourth already.

IMO it's time to go back to base-D more. We stopped the run well last season out of dime but we had some different personnel.

Put PJ in at safety for Thenarse and Compton in at LB. Thenarse still hasn't grown-up, still would rather imagine he's a hitter than wrap-up. Gomes struggled too, I like him but he's not a LB-substitute. We need somebody who knows the scheme and has some lead in their butt in their plugging holes.

I know we struggled with the run some in base too but that was before Compton was back. I say give him a shot. Granted against a team like OSU we'll have to play a fair amount of dime but you know damn well they'll try to run more than usual and gouge us with Hunter.

I think people are starting to realize and I've seen it said before that our personnel has changed from last year that our D-Line is not the same, Crick and Baker are not the same run stoppers that Suh and Crick were, Crick isn't able to make the plays this year b/c he's getting more attention, and our LB run stopping isn't as good, I think Lavonte is a great LB, All-Big 12 caliber if he was used more like a Von Miller from A&M, but the way Phillip was able to stop the run last and control that middle was missed Saturday, and most of us would take Matt O'Hanlon's ability to tackle over Rickey Thenarse. I think the coaches could look into their personnel and find a better way to use our guys.

I think people are starting to realize and I've seen it said before that our personnel has changed from last year that our D-Line is not the same, Crick and Baker are not the same run stoppers that Suh and Crick were, Crick isn't able to make the plays this year b/c he's getting more attention, and our LB run stopping isn't as good, I think Lavonte is a great LB, All-Big 12 caliber if he was used more like a Von Miller from A&M, but the way Phillip was able to stop the run last and control that middle was missed Saturday, and most of us would take Matt O'Hanlon's ability to tackle over Rickey Thenarse. I think the coaches could look into their personnel and find a better way to use our guys.

I think this is right on. when a team is playing in the manner texas was we just need to get some more big bodies out there. maybe even just one more. I will say however that I think David is actually pretty good at block shedding.

This

The dime was great to us last season in terms of run-stopping but we had a running-roadblock in Suh, a serious gap-filler that could still cover in Dillard, and safeties that were tackling like LB's in Asante and O'Hanlon. Stein isn't Suh(who is?). David is a speedy playmaker but he lacks system-experience and if you're going to stay in dime you need a guy that can fight blockers and plug holes. Thenarse was ridiculous Saturday and Gomes struggled some. He tackles well for a cb but average for a safety.

We need more physical presence in the front-7. Of course we'll still use dime but IMO we need to go back to base more of the time. Put in PJ for Thenarse and bring Compton in at Mike.