Our D-Line

beanman

Can someone explain to me if it is the scheme we run that lends itself to not getting that much pressure on the QB? I love the way our D has played in the past couple of years, but one thing that I miss is seeing us put big hits on the QBs and get in their face. I went to the game Saturday(every time I come back to Lincoln we lose) and I must say I am not impressed with our Defensive Ends at all. When is the last time we had a defensive line that really got after the QB? Seems like 1999 - 2000 was the last years we saw solid play from our defensive ends. Is it the players or the defense we run?

It's partially the scheme - they're willing to rely on the secondary to cover everything, so we rarely blitz (which we used to do all the time when Charlie McBride was coach). When it comes to stopping the run, all we want our defensive line to do is cover gaps and force things back inside. The linebackers need to make the stop at the line of scrimmage.

In the Texas game, I think you probably would've seen a little more aggressive pass rushing, but Texas got us off balance right away showing that Gilbert would run the ball. We had to adjust and play to contain him, rather than pinning our ears back and getting after him. Credit Texas on that one, and discredit us for thinking that UT would just come in running the same vanilla offense they ran against UCLA and OU with 2 weeks to prepare for us.

It's partially the scheme - they're willing to rely on the secondary to cover everything, so we rarely blitz (which we used to do all the time when Charlie McBride was coach). When it comes to stopping the run, all we want our defensive line to do is cover gaps and force things back inside. The linebackers need to make the stop at the line of scrimmage.

In the Texas game, I think you probably would've seen a little more aggressive pass rushing, but Texas got us off balance right away showing that Gilbert would run the ball. We had to adjust and play to contain him, rather than pinning our ears back and getting after him. Credit Texas on that one, and discredit us for thinking that UT would just come in running the same vanilla offense they ran against UCLA and OU with 2 weeks to prepare for us.

Maybe it is the scheme, but I just don't think you would have seen Pierre Allen on the field ever between the years of 1992 and 2000. I just don't see the same ability there. I haven't made up my mind yet on Merideth since he's still young.

You mean not every team in the NCAA runs a vanilla offense every week? We are way behind the curve then...

Nice topic. I have been harping on this for awhile. It is not like we have played the toughest schedule and we just do not get sacks. Speed off the edge is a huge problem...we don't have it. I was looking for Allen to have a big year...shot at impressing the NFL draft board...I barely notice he is out there. Some huge sacks on Gilbert and that is a different game Saturday...he gets jittery, he fumbles, crowd gets loud, field position is lost, they then throw long to try to convert long yards on the next down and we INT. We threw McCoy around like a rag doll last year...man what a difference no Suh makes! We rely on our CB's to not give up the big play but will allow steady plays up the middle in the run and pass game. OSU has a QB who will take those 8-12 yard passes with David in coverage. Not going to be pretty if he has all day to throw it. We better get it together with the QB pressure or next 2 weeks are not going to be good.

Agreed. I think in that in the "peso" the line has been tasked exactly as described above - plug the gaps and funnel the plays to the linebackers. At the same time, it would be nice to see our tackles shedding their blocks and hitting our opponent's backs behind the line. As far as defensive end play, it looks like they get blocked to the inside a lot and lose outside containment, leaving it open to plays coming around the end - may be a scheme thing, but its discomforting to see.

You have to wonder about some of our players, Matt Millen was heaping praise on. His track record at the Lions was horrible, as their GM. So I don't put much stock in his appraisal, seeing as his biggest praise was on Paul. Who may have had his worst game this season. I'm sure Paul will bounce back OK.

Millen was really high on our defense backs, but that's an easy call. Considering they had their backs up against it most of the game, and held up pretty good. Texas was able to run just about any play, with the field position they enjoyed. Fix the dropped passes and its a different game, different ending.

GBR!!!

Can someone explain to me if it is the scheme we run that lends itself to not getting that much pressure on the QB? I love the way our D has played in the past couple of years, but one thing that I miss is seeing us put big hits on the QBs and get in their face. I went to the game Saturday(every time I come back to Lincoln we lose) and I must say I am not impressed with our Defensive Ends at all. When is the last time we had a defensive line that really got after the QB? Seems like 1999 - 2000 was the last years we saw solid play from our defensive ends. Is it the players or the defense we run?

Did you fall asleep and miss last year? SUH made everyone near him better.

T_O_B

:bonesflag:

Did you fall asleep and miss last year? SUH made everyone near him better.

T_O_B

:bonesflag:

Thank you T_O_Bull! I'm surprised it took this long to spell that out.

At the same time, I think the primary focus here is on the play of the defensive end. I think it's interesting how much more PT our starters get than their immediate backups. So far this season, we've rarely seen Ankrah or Williams come in for Cam or Pierre, and we've hardly seen Moore or Randle in for Baker or Crick. Honestly I thought we'd be seeing a lot more from these guys, since coming into the season we all thought our depth at the Dline was gonna make us such a force in the B12. Kinda makes you wonder if our starting Dlinemen are getting tired at key points in the game.