The reason this team will not live up to expectations.

epocSoN

This team won't live up to expectations because they average nearly 4 fumbles a game, don't play well at home, and can't seem to cut down on the penalties.

I really want to believe that this is a 1 or 2 loss team, but when you fumble 4 times a game, you're going to drop some games that you shouldn't. While there is obviously time to correct these issues, we've been pretty fortunate in recovering a majority of the balls we put on the turf. Hopefully we buck these trends, if not, I think we're looking at a 3 or 4 loss team, which for me, is not living up to expectations.

This team won't live up to expectations because they average nearly 4 fumbles a game, don't play well at home, and can't seem to cut down on the penalties.

I really want to believe that this is a 1 or 2 loss team, but when you fumble 4 times a game, you're going to drop some games that you shouldn't. While there is obviously time to correct these issues, we've been pretty fortunate in recovering a majority of the balls we put on the turf. Hopefully we buck these trends, if not, I think we're looking at a 3 or 4 loss team, which for me, is not living up to expectations.

On that note, I can't wait till Martinez learns to run lower and tuck the ball better. We've all seen what results when that happens (Crouch anyone?)

very possible, althugh i hope not.

Mainly because our fans are unrealistic in their expectations. Because of the 90's some feel entitled, Callahan destroyed that and we swallow anything that brings back that 90's feeling without really looking at the situation/players/stats. We are able to tune out all negatives or views that show things are not not quite as positive as they look.

We want nothing more to return to the elite of college football, and the slightest glimmer we swallow it hook line and sinker.

We are impaitent, and rabid. We have endured a lot of pain over the last ten years, some of it even hurting more in the last few years because we get so close.

I am disappointed in how the game went, but I was prepared for it after the SDakota game. I am not on a death watch, pretty much over the loss, and am not truly expecting a win at Okie State. I never truly expect wins, as every thing depends on 18-22 year old kids, and grown men who are still involved with their child hood game. Not knocking coaches by any means.

I am happy wiht the season so far, not the loss, but feel we have a chance to win out, as we have to play the games. If we do, that will be fantastic, if we do not, I will not be calling for the firing of the coaches, nor will be bad mouthing kids for dropping a ball on a pass route or fumbling it at the 5 yard line. I will look for the effort I think is required, the dedication, the loyalty, the love of the program, the sportsmanship of the players and the fans. If those things are there, and we do not win, we were not good enough.

I am sure the team will meet my expectations this year. There have only been a few that they did not and I will not lay the blame on the players for that.

Play the games like Nebraska, respect your competition and their fans. Adhere to our motos.

Win or lose I will be happy with Nebraska.

• Fire 3

Mainly because our fans are unrealistic in their expectations. Because of the 90's some feel entitled, Callahan destroyed that and we swallow anything that brings back that 90's feeling without really looking at the situation/players/stats. We are able to tune out all negatives or views that show things are not not quite as positive as they look.

We want nothing more to return to the elite of college football, and the slightest glimmer we swallow it hook line and sinker.

We are impaitent, and rabid. We have endured a lot of pain over the last ten years, some of it even hurting more in the last few years because we get so close.

I am disappointed in how the game went, but I was prepared for it after the SDakota game. I am not on a death watch, pretty much over the loss, and am not truly expecting a win at Okie State. I never truly expect wins, as every thing depends on 18-22 year old kids, and grown men who are still involved with their child hood game. Not knocking coaches by any means.

I am happy wiht the season so far, not the loss, but feel we have a chance to win out, as we have to play the games. If we do, that will be fantastic, if we do not, I will not be calling for the firing of the coaches, nor will be bad mouthing kids for dropping a ball on a pass route or fumbling it at the 5 yard line. I will look for the effort I think is required, the dedication, the loyalty, the love of the program, the sportsmanship of the players and the fans. If those things are there, and we do not win, we were not good enough.

I am sure the team will meet my expectations this year. There have only been a few that they did not and I will not lay the blame on the players for that.

Play the games like Nebraska, respect your competition and their fans. Adhere to our motos.

Great Post! This sums up my feelings quite well. :throwdabones1::bigredn:

We have no leader. Taylor is a great talent, but not a great leader (if at all).

When we find a leader, we will exceed expectations for the first time in a long time.

So would you have created this thread had Nebraska won? Would a better leader at QB help our receivers catch the ball?

:yeah I swear I have been doing so much of this > :facepalm: lately while reading HB, that I may have a permanent hand print on my forehead!

:LOLtartar know how ya feel. Is it possible for us to lose a game, and just we as fans except that the team just didn't play well? I mean come on just cause we lost a game doesn't mean that the team is a bunch of selfish crybabies or not unified or whatever our diagnoses is. Haha it makes me laugh. Oh well, this is a message board.

Even without Suh, the Huskers are LOADED, especially on defense. Offensively, there's no tangible reason we can't run up and down the field like an Oregon or Boise State. As the coaches have stated ad nauseum, it all comes down to execution.

Maybe we should examine what 'execution' actually is.

To me, execution is that all-important flash of time from the snap of the ball to the whistle, when every single player is making rapid-fire decisions.

The problem with the boys in red seems to be that more often than not, they were either making the wrong decision, or letting it be made for them. This is on the coaches - if the players don't really know what they're doing, they weren't prepared enough. If Watson didn't know ut was going to clog the LOS to hammer Martinez, he's really not as smart as I thought/hoped he was. After the FIRST play, it was obvious to the entire Red Out Around the World (that helped, didn't it?) that the horns simply weren't going to let Martinez run down the field.

To Watson's credit, he did stretch the field with the vert routes - not much he can do, though, when our receivers traded in their appendages for various cooking vessels. If you can't run, you pass. If they don't catch the ball when you pass, you're screwed. And we were. Repeatedly.

I hate texas.

We have no leader. Taylor is a great talent, but not a great leader (if at all).

When we find a leader, we will exceed expectations for the first time in a long time.

This loss had everything to do with the leaders at the top. The coaches. When Texas only completed 4 passes for the day, the coaches knew they weren't and couldn't throw on the NU secondary. 2 of the 4 passes were little swing routes in front of David, who was beat rather easily. So, only 2 other passes were completed in a 60 minute contest.

So why when it is 58 minutes deep are we playing 4 down lineman and 2 small backers to stop the run? That is all coaching. As this game went on, it was clear that Texas was going to try to beat NU on the ground. Good ole smash mouth football, lets see if we can matchup with our 5 Oline and TE and get for or 5 yards on the 4 D lineman and 2 smaller backers of NU. It worked enough to run for 209 yards. The coaches can say we had 28 missed tackles but when you have a 250 lbs back running over a 200 DB, what do you expect?

The staff didn't react and put 7 and 8 defenders in the box and make Gabbert throw on the NU secondary.

If a leader stepped up they wouldn't be in a position to see and make the defensive adjustments needed to stop Texas.

NU has quite leaders but the coaching staff needs to step up and take a little more blame for this. I am an amateur in respects to knowing the X's and O's of football but a lot of things jumped out at me when I looked at this game on replay. 6 in the box on D was by far the largest gaffe by the staff for the first 58 minutes. When they went heavy on the line to stop the run the game was already over.

Great Post! This sums up my feelings quite well. :throwdabones1::bigredn:

I second that. Nice post skersfan

Expectations change throughout the season. Before the season began, I thought Lee would be the starting QB. I expected to have an offense ranked in the 50's and a very strong D. When I learned that Martinez would be the QB, my expectations changed. Even Frazier dropped a game against lowly Iowa State as a freshman. While a Texas victory would have been nice, it really hasn't changed our goals. We still can win the Big 12 and play in a BCS game. So far in the Pelini era, the team gets better throughout the season. We took our lump with the Texas loss, but I think we rebound nicely. I'm more worried about Mizzou at this point than I am about A&M and Okie State.

On that note, I can't wait till Martinez learns to run lower and tuck the ball better. We've all seen what results when that happens (Crouch anyone?)

Agreed.

But what were the expectations? Some expected a loss to tu, and maybe 2 or 3 more throughout the year. Some thought we had a realistic shot at the mnc.

I thought that we could possibly lose (some but not all) games to UW, KSU, tu, OSU, Mizzou, A&M, and CU, depending on how we played.

If we get our stuff together, stop the dropsies, quit putting the ball on ground, re-learn how to tackle, and stop the stupid penalties, I think we can win out and get to a BCS game, possibly have an outside shot at the mnc if things fall the right way.

Look, no QB or any player is going to look happy when they get yanked. A leader doesnt have to stand there and fake clap for another guy, some guys need to sit down and think things out, play it over in their head.

This is like getting mad at a person for not reacting the way you want them to react when a family member passes away. We all deal with things our own way, just because it might not be YOUR way it doesnt mean its the wrong way.

I have coached football for 10 years now have had kids deal with things all different ways, there is no one perfect way.

I think that people assume that if a kid gets yanked and then doesnt stand there smiling that they are mad at the coach or the team, not usually, usually they are mad at themselves.