What we learned today

Oklahoma State's offense is freakin' LEGIT.

We still have a good defense, and we still have one of the best secondaries in the nation. Just because a good offense moved the ball on us doesn't mean we suck. OSU has been running this offense for a long time, with a lot of good coaches. The fact that they do this pretty much every week should calm people.

They just added a big linebacker. The loss of Compton cannot be understated. He wasn't great last year, but he was a big recruit and he has a year of coaching up, plus he got to watch Dillard show him how it's done. Losing Compton and Fisher in camp really, really sucked, no matter how well David has played.

If Compton starts to show some of that promise we recruited him for, and he gets his head in the game (which will come with more game time), I think our run D will be fine.

Compton was on the field for at least a couple of those big run plays by OSU

We still have a good defense, and we still have one of the best secondaries in the nation. Just because a good offense moved the ball on us doesn't mean we suck. OSU has been running this offense for a long time, with a lot of good coaches. The fact that they do this pretty much every week should calm people.

Skers usually hold the opponent to somewhere between 50-60% of their average output. It's kinda shocking when they only hold them to about 85-90% of the avg.

Martinez like to look for Reed on the deep routes, as stated above.

Niles came out with something to prove today. Feel damn good for the kid, as I've bagged on him as much as anyone. Awesome game Niles!

Prince looked lost today, perplexing. Thought he'd blanket Blackmon. Also, Okie Lite seems to have a quota of having one d-bag WR on their team at a time. From Dez to Devon... Yucking it up on the sidelines after that huge catch not cool. But then karma caught up with them in the end.

Rickey tackles like my sister. And I ain't got a sister.

Middle of our defense concerns me. By middle, I mean our entire D-line, who got less pressure on the immobile Weeden than we all would've liked, our linebackers, and Rickey. They gotta step it up and start shutting down the run like they've FLASHED during games and did last year if they are to improve. I remember seeing a heck of a lot of our spread out D getting trapped trying to run outside and catch up to a RB... What is that? The age old adage is to stay outside a guy and force him back in.

I totally agree. I thought Kendall Hunter and Justin Blackmon looked like as good of running back and wide receiver NU has faced in a long time. Blackmon especially, these guys WILL be playing in the NFL after they're done with OSU. I think Blackmon could play in the NFL NOW. He made Prince Amukamara look like a mere mortal out there today.

They just added a big linebacker. The loss of Compton cannot be understated. He wasn't great last year, but he was a big recruit and he has a year of coaching up, plus he got to watch Dillard show him how it's done. Losing Compton and Fisher in camp really, really sucked, no matter how well David has played.

If Compton starts to show some of that promise we recruited him for, and he gets his head in the game (which will come with more game time), I think our run D will be fine.

Compton was on the field for at least a couple of those big run plays by OSU

Yes, which is why I wrote the underlined. For Compton this is his Idaho. While everyone else is seven games into the season, he's two games into the season. Let him get back up to game speed and he'll be fine, that's my guess.

Okay, here we go.

1. Taylor is as composed as a young man that we may see in a while. Made mostly good decisions, with the few WTF moments that come with a guy trying to force the issue.

2. Do a lot of you realize how difficult it is to defend the underthrown pass? The reciever is usually always looking back at the QB and a DB is taught to read the eyes and then hands of a receiver so he is mostly always at a disadvantage. This Prince isn't a lock down corner crap is utter BS. Take away the flea flicker, where Chuchtown Husker actually said the smart play (taking the PI), and he has a modest 70 yards and a garbage time TD.

3. Hagg was in a bad matchup(credit OSU coaches) on the TD catch other than that he played well, sans a few missied tackles(very few) that he usually makes. Hagg week in and week out is one of the most consistant players we have.

4. Our OLine still can't run block a quick athletic DLine. for the second week in a row a quick agile front four destroyed our run game for the most part. Luckily for NU Mizzou might be the last one they see, and the jury is really still out on them.

As it was stated a win is a win, and this is a HELL of a lot better than meltdown mode.

Martinez did look great. There were still more than a regular seeming number of dropped balls, but maybe I'm just hyper-sensitive after last week. But the line play on both sides is a little distressing, especially on D. We've been ready to swallow the run D bending but not breaking this year, but they got broken pretty bad this week. Credit OSU -- They have some great skills guys. I don't think we'll see that much offensive talent agent this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the last time we see more than 21 hung on the blackshirts this season (barring a barrage of turnovers or something)...

Oklahoma State receivers were good, and did a number on our secondary - as good as the coverage was.

I think the illusion of an invincible defense has been largely shattered. We're still very good on D of course, but up to this point I had figured we would just shut down anybody. Apparently not! It was a shocking barnburner today. I was reall very surprised. We also saw what it looked like when the O is mostly on its game. A lot of potential, or maybe it was the quality of the D we faced. Regardless, we were able to overcome mistakes with some big plays.

Taylor Martinez will eventually be very good. He played with poise and patience today and had a great game. I still saw some freshman mistakes, but it will get better.

Pelini's defense learned the limitations of playing man 2 man in a dime D with a 215 lb LB who could play SS. Pelini made some adjustments in the 2nd half he did play 2 LB's more, but the adjustments should have come sooner. He could mix in some zone to stop the under thrown lob pass.

Pelini enjoys playing on the road. Good Win!!

Texas sucks

Holding them to 14 points in the 2nd 1/2 with 7 of them in what was almost garbage time is good, whatever the D did it was a good adjustment.

We learned that martinez can throw, this will cause some issues in the future as teams need to plan for the the pass. I also like what our recivers were able to do after the catch.

Sorry I was confused, posting this for anyone else who was also confused in the OP.

pon·der·ous/ˈpändərəs/Adjective

1. Slow and clumsy because of great weight: "her footsteps were ponderous".

2. Dull, laborious, or excessively solemn. More »

Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Going back to read now that I know what it is.

Sorry I was confused, posting this for anyone else who was also confused in the OP.

pon·der·ous/ˈpändərəs/Adjective

1. Slow and clumsy because of great weight: "her footsteps were ponderous".

2. Dull, laborious, or excessively solemn. More »

Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Going back to read now that I know what it is.

Google "Casey Kasem ponderous" if you're not sure what the OP is referring to.