Blane Gabbert

I think he has the potential to be a high draft pick because of his size, arm strength, and mobility... however his mechanics are terrible. His progression and pre snap reads need work. Also he has terrible footwork after his initial read and gets what many call happy feet. There were double digits where he began to scramble at times he should have stood in the pocket and delivered the ball (although there was great coverage) he bailed out way to early and way to often. He has alot of work to do in taking his drops if he wants to succeed at this and the next level.

His throwing mechanics are fine, I think. Not sure if you meant that specifically or overall mechanics. His footwork on his drops could use a little cleanup, but I think that's a result of putting him in a shotgun/spread offense when he really ought to be in a more pro-style offense.

His biggest problem (as you pointed out) is happy feet. He made the O-line look a LOT worse than they really were. NU certainly got pressure at times, but even when they didn't, he ran into it unnecessarily. This has been a problem for 2 years, now.

I think he has the potential to be a high draft pick because of his size, arm strength, and mobility... however his mechanics are terrible. His progression and pre snap reads need work. Also he has terrible footwork after his initial read and gets what many call happy feet. There were double digits where he began to scramble at times he should have stood in the pocket and delivered the ball (although there was great coverage) he bailed out way to early and way to often. He has alot of work to do in taking his drops if he wants to succeed at this and the next level.

His throwing mechanics are fine, I think. Not sure if you meant that specifically or overall mechanics. His footwork on his drops could use a little cleanup, but I think that's a result of putting him in a shotgun/spread offense when he really ought to be in a more pro-style offense.

His biggest problem (as you pointed out) is happy feet. He made the O-line look a LOT worse than they really were. NU certainly got pressure at times, but even when they didn't, he ran into it unnecessarily. This has been a problem for 2 years, now.

Yeah, his mechanics aren't the problem. I'm not sure he has any glaring faults, the blackshirts are just an absolutely graveyard for quarterbacks.

yeah i wasn't referring to his throwing mechanics... should have been more clear... his footwork mechanics and pocket presence are what i see as his glaring weaknesses

I don't think it's much of an argument whether Gabbert is a good QB or not. He's outstanding. But I have to say that as much as you can probably blame the O-line not protecting him yesterday, he did a lot of dancing, sometimes before the pressure had actually reached him. He's developing a reputation for collapsing under pressure and getting rattled, which is going to be a shame when he finds four NFL-caliber linemen swarming around him. He burned a ton of timeouts, made some careless throws (and a few excellent ones).

You'd like to think he'd benefit from another year in college, but I'm not sure he's going to get as good of coaching at Mizzou as he might with a pro-style team.

you can see what good coaching has done for Martinez, he is settling in the pocket more and more, to throw first and run second, Gabbert feels pressure before it is real.

Agreed on his mechanics, but there isn't anything in his game that can't be polished up for the pros pretty easily. I'll be surprised if he isn't playing on Sundays.

I was thinking about how good his leadership must be. To me, this is the best performing team Mizzou has had for a long time even thought they don't have as much talent as they had in the past couple of years. I think that really speaks to his leadership to get the most out of the guys around him. I will never like Gabbert but he has earned my respect.