The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

And yet he wouldn't give me a fist-bump at Wal-Mart the day before he signed his contract. eyeswear2allthatsholy

I would say cut the guy some slack. HE gets attention everywhere he goes and I think very few of us (me among them) truly understand what it would be like to have a ton of people constantly trying to interact with you for no regular reason (AKA interupting your life continually)and almost every interaction you have with someone is a huge part of how they think of you. Maybe he was preoccupied, late for something, not paying attention, etc. I am not saying you have no right to not want a fist bump, but if this is the worst thing he does as a public figure...

I would just say that most people think being famous is cool, and for a while and in some cases it probably is, but it also must be somewhat tiresome and a bit of a pain in the butt...

For every one Suh or Tebow there are literally 100 that don't handle it nearly a tenth as well.

And yet he wouldn't give me a fist-bump at Wal-Mart the day before he signed his contract. eyeswear2allthatsholy

Elaborate...

See below...

I would say cut the guy some slack. HE gets attention everywhere he goes and I think very few of us (me among them) truly understand what it would be like to have a ton of people constantly trying to interact with you for no regular reason (AKA interupting your life continually)and almost every interaction you have with someone is a huge part of how they think of you. Maybe he was preoccupied, late for something, not paying attention, etc. I am not saying you have no right to not want a fist bump, but if this is the worst thing he does as a public figure...

I would just say that most people think being famous is cool, and for a while and in some cases it probably is, but it also must be somewhat tiresome and a bit of a pain in the butt...

For every one Suh or Tebow there are literally 100 that don't handle it nearly a tenth as well.

Sorry. I figured everyone had read THIS THREAD already and knew I was joking. Here's my post about "meeting" Suh:

I can confirm that he's still in Lincoln. In fact, if you hurry over to the North 27th St Wal-Mart, you might just see him. I was walking out just now and damned near ran into him. I put my fist out for a bump and said, "Hey, man."

I did not get a bump.

I got a look that said, "Hey. I've had about 1,000 people try to give me a fist bump today alone. I'm done with the bumping of fists. Nothing personal."

I didn't take it personal. I think he's got plenty on his mind.

One note - I'm a big guy, but Suh is built on a completely different scale than me. I don't feel small very often, but I did just now.

I can confirm that he's still in Lincoln. In fact, if you hurry over to the North 27th St Wal-Mart, you might just see him. I was walking out just now and damned near ran into him. I put my fist out for a bump and said, "Hey, man."

I did not get a bump.

I got a look that said, "Hey. I've had about 1,000 people try to give me a fist bump today alone. I'm done with the bumping of fists. Nothing personal."

I didn't take it personal. I think he's got plenty on his mind.

Dude, I would've been mortified. I mean, I guess it's justifiable from his perspective, but for a fan... that's like a once in a lifetime thing.

Eh. I wasn't that bothered by it. Frankly, I was just stunned that he was walking into Wal-Mart. Guy's gotta shop, sure, but he probably got mobbed in there. I was on my way out so I didn't stick around to see how his shopping went, but I'm sure he had a wake of people behind him.

In other news, I met Dominique Kelley at the coffee shop the other day. Nice girl. Seems recovered from surgery and ready to go.

The currently famous Detroit Lions football rookie, Ndamukong Suh, stopped by the Detroit Medical Center (DMC) for a tour of the center.

DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan (RIM) and DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan (CHM) hosted the 6 foot 4 inch linebacker as he toured the two facilities with periodic stops for some much appreciated patient interaction. Matt, a patient in the Center for Spinal Cord Injury Recovery® (CSCIR) program, talked to Suh about how he dove into a shallow lake, broke his neck and is now enrolled in rehabilitation through RIM. "When I got here, all I could do is shrug my shoulders," he said. "I've been working out here for four years…and now I have almost full movement in my right hand and can drive my [wheel]chair."

The look on Suh's face told a story in itself – empathy poured from his eyes as Matt went on. To date, Matt has progressed and is very happy with his physical therapy regimen. His morale was brighter after a short conversation with Suh.

Suh's visit brought a smile to the face of patients and visitors as he roamed the halls, but none bigger than his own when the topic of future visits was brought up.

"I'm definitely looking forward to a lot of fun [times] and helping and allowing people to be a little more cheerful as they get back to 100 percent."

This may be his first year in the National Football League, but it isn't his first time encountering children in need of a spirit-lifting. His goal is to make as many visits as possible, bringing much joy to the faces of children and patients of all ages.

More pictures of Ndamukong Suh and his visit can be found here on DMC Flickr page.

LINK

Sports Illustrated will announce its choice for Sportsman of the Year on Nov. 29. Here's one of the nominations for that honor by an SI writer.

Yes, he is a great football player: he was the most dominant player in college football last year and has been this year's most dominant and dazzling NFL rookie. Yes, he is on his way to becoming one of the game's great defensive linemen -- maybe even one of the game's alltime greats.

But that's not why Ndamukong Suh is my Sportsman of the Year. Suh is my Sportsman because, as the city of Detroit is finding out, he is much more than a great football player. Suh is my Sportsman because of everything he has already given back in his bright, young career.

At Nebraska's spring game in Lincoln last April the sun shined brightly on Memorial Stadium as the crowd of 77,393 rose to their feet and cheered when Suh's massive, smiling mug appeared on the stadium big screen. The beloved former Cornhusker then made a stunning announcement: he was pledging to donate $2.6 million to the university, the largest charitable contribution ever from a former athlete. It was a staggering amount, given that Suh hadn't yet signed with the team that picked him second in the 2010 draft, the Detroit Lions. It was also unprecedented: no athlete had ever given back so much to his alma mater before singing a professional sports contract. "I didn't feel like I had to, but I definitely wanted to give back to the university that gave me so much," Suh said.

Suh --- who led all defensive tackles in sacks and at the NFL season's midpoint was on pace to equal Jevon Kearse's record for sacks by a rookie lineman --- is a terror on the field and a gentle giant off it. A Detroit Free Press columnist recently recalled the time he was at his son's football practice and Suh, friends with one of the other dads, happened to show up. Suh told the kids he'd be there for their playoff game, and a few weeks later there he was, with hot dogs and hot chocolate for the 10 year olds.

The kids in Detroit have a role model now. And now, because of the Ndamukong Suh Scholarship at the University of Nebraska, out of state students like the ones from Suh's old high school, Grant High in Portland, have a real chance at an education at the UNL College of Engineering. Now, because of Suh's $2 million donation to Nebraska's strength and conditioning program, the university's athletes can train in state of the art facilities --- already, thanks to Suh's gift, there's a massive new polar tank in the football locker room and every football player has an iPad mounted into his locker.

The son of an engineer from Cameroon and an elementary school teacher from Jamaica, Suh could have gone pro last year but returned for his senior year to complete his engineering degree. He signed a fat $68 million contract with the Lions in August but showed where his heart is with his unprecedented charitable act. Ndamukong Suh may just be 23, but already he is a model of what every pro athlete should be.

LINK

Eh. I wasn't that bothered by it. Frankly, I was just stunned that he was walking into Wal-Mart. Guy's gotta shop, sure, but he probably got mobbed in there. I was on my way out so I didn't stick around to see how his shopping went, but I'm sure he had a wake of people behind him.

All the players seem to shop there. I go there every couple days to buy groceries. I talked to Suh and Dillard there. Seen Crick, Sirles, Qvale, Cody Glenn, and Cody Green there too. There were several players there the day the NCAA video game came out lol.

Have any of y'all made it out to a Lions game yet? I'm marrying a boy from Detroit who comes from a HUGE Lions family - oh wow do those fans love Suh! Any time he so much as breathes deeply, the stadium erupts with "SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH"

He's electric to watch.

He definitely is, but they got that from us. ;p