Courtney Osborne's hit on Gabbert has been sent to Big 12 for review?

Nexus

Apparently Osborne won't be penalized, if I'm reading this correctly. It's Tuesday. Nebraska was informed last Monday that the conference was considering suspending Martin last week, and we were given time to prep a response. Apparently that hasn't happened this week:

JournalStar Link

** Pelini said he doesn't anticipate Courtney Osborne being suspended by the Big 12 for his hit on Blaine Gabbert Saturday.

"I assume we would've heard something if there was an issue," Pelini said.

** Nearly the first 10 minutes of the presser was devoted to discussion about officials trying to determine what constitutes legal/safe hits. Credit Pelini for his patience in discussing the issue.

"I was sick of it three weeks ago," he said.

Someone made a good point on this whole Osborne issue. If they were to suspend Osborne the hit would get played over and over again. It would bring

attention to the BS call that was called. The Big 12 doesn't want to show 3000 clips on Sportscenter on how they are trying to screw over NU.

That is the most egregious non-fumble call I have ever seen in terms of a reviewed play not being called for a fumble. I haven't heard of any explanation being offered on this egregious call either.

Apparently Osborne won't be penalized, if I'm reading this correctly. It's Tuesday. Nebraska was informed last Monday that the conference was considering suspending Martin last week, and we were given time to prep a response. Apparently that hasn't happened this week:

JournalStar Link

** Pelini said he doesn't anticipate Courtney Osborne being suspended by the Big 12 for his hit on Blaine Gabbert Saturday.

** Nearly the first 10 minutes of the presser was devoted to discussion about officials trying to determine what constitutes legal/safe hits. Credit Pelini for his patience in discussing the issue.

Someone made a good point on this whole Osborne issue. If they were to suspend Osborne the hit would get played over and over again. It would bring

attention to the BS call that was called. The Big 12 doesn't want to show 3000 clips on Sportscenter on how they are trying to screw over NU.

That is the most egregious non-fumble call I have ever seen in terms of a reviewed play not being called for a fumble. I haven't heard of any explanation being offered on this egregious call either.

There was a thread a while back that said the ruling was Gabberts forward progress was stopped, so I'm guessing anytime a player falls backwards while fumbeling than their forward progress is stopped and thre is no fumble.

JournalStar Link

There was a thread a while back that said the ruling was Gabberts forward progress was stopped, so I'm guessing anytime a player falls backwards while fumbeling than their forward progress is stopped and thre is no fumble.

In the Big XII, in games involving Nebraska, excluding Nebraska players.

If they review that play then they will see that the play was a FUMBLE . I hope we win the big 12 title this year I really wanna see the face on dan beebes ass win bo takes the big12 trophie from his ass and kicks him down the steps of the stage, Or we can have suh come out of no where and he can do what he did to the browns qb. Man that would be a scary thouht :thumbs

Rosenthal interviewed the head of Big XII officiating for an article in today's JournalStar. Click the headline for the full article.

Big 12 head of officials weighs in on flagrant plays rule

To flag or not to flag?

That's today's popular question in college football among officials, especially, but also players, coaches and administrators in regard to helmet-to-helmet contact.

Some would lump the media in that group, too.

Nebraska, for better or worse, has recently been at the forefront of the white-hot topic. Eric Martin's suspension for his hit on Oklahoma State's Andrew Hudson -- the first administered by the Big 12 Conference under last year's new rule that allows review and punishment for possible flagrant plays -- started the fervor. Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe referenced Martin's hit with the crown of his helmet above Hudson's shoulders as reason for the punishment.

Then some players, fans and media wondered -- some jokingly, many quite seriously -- whether Courtney Osborne's sack of Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert, in which the players' helmets collided, might warrant punishment after the Big 12 had seemingly set a precedent.

It did not.

Why?

"If every time we had helmet-to-helmet contact and ... had a suspension, there wouldn't be anybody playing football," said Walt Anderson, coordinator of Big 12 football officials. "I can honestly say that most helmet-to-helmet contacts are not considered flagrant acts."

Anderson wasn't commenting specifically on Osborne's tackle -- he can't address any specific calls or no-calls by officials, per Big 12 policy -- but rather pointing out that the college helmet-to-helmet contact rule can be very subjective, and that there's "chronic tension" between setting rules that allow for player safety and allowing football to be football.

"It's not an exact science," Anderson said. "Football is a contact sport. At times, it's a very violent contact sport."