What are the Cyclones Strengths?

Nebula

I have not watched ISU play this year at all, but I get the sense that this team is playing with a quiet confidence of sorts. So, and perhaps Cy the Cyclone could shed some light here, just what is ISU about? What do they do well on offense? Where can the Cyclone defense hurt you, and where are they potentially vulnerable? How have their special teams units fared?

And for those Husker fans who have seen ISU play or just have a decent grasp on the makeup of the team, do you see any matchups that jump out at you as ones we can exploit?

The Cyclones are heavily outmatched....agian and as long as only put the ball on the turf 7 times we win. Last year would have been a rout if it werent for the multiple fumbles on the goal line. The only thing the Clowns have going for them is that it is at home, except NU plays better on the road so I say that theory of thought is negated. Austen Arnaud is not a good thrower with avg mobility. He could hurt us with QB runs as we have seen from Gabbert/Gilbert but it wont be enough to keep this game respectable. There running back while good is running behind a line that isn't.

In the end ISU and KSU are pretty close to being the same team. The end result will likely be the same. Look for the stands to be empty at half as the fans go drown their delusional thoughts of a win in booze.

I was going to spend the $90x2=$180 to watch this game in the stadium but I feel no need pay Jamie Pollard's inflated prices to see what is surely to be a massacre. I will watch it on tv in the parking lot while i get ripped and try not to get punched or spit on by ISwho fans when they come out at half.

The Clones' strengths? Not much. They are top 50 in the nation in only three major categories: Net Punting (43rd), Punt Returns (35th) and Turnover Margin (9th). The only one of these that should even come close to concerning us is turnover margin, based on last year, but there's no way this happens in back-to-back years.

The Cyclones' national ranks:

Rushing Offense - 52

Passing Offense - 104

Total Offense - 98

Scoring Offense - 79

Rushing Defense - 99

Pass Efficiency Defense - 79

Total Defense - 102

Scoring Defense - 88

Net Punting - 43

Punt Returns - 35

Kickoff Returns - 67

Turnover Margin - 9

Pass Defense - 89

Passing Efficiency - 107

Sacks - 111

Tackles For Loss - 110

Sacks Allowed - 77

For comparison, here's where Nebraska ranks nationally:

Rushing Offense - 6

Passing Offense - 102

Total Offense - 17

Scoring Offense - 12

Rushing Defense - 75

Pass Efficiency Defense - 1

Total Defense - 19

Scoring Defense - 16

Net Punting - 40

Punt Returns - 14

Kickoff Returns - 13

Turnover Margin - 38

Pass Defense - 3

Passing Efficiency - 25

Sacks - 41

Tackles For Loss - 115

Sacks Allowed - 39

The Cyclones' conference ranks:

Rushing Offense - 6

Passing Offense - 12

Total Offense - 12

Scoring Offense - 9

Rushing Defense - 10

Pass Efficiency Defense - 9

Total Defense - 10

Scoring Defense - 10

Net Punting - 8

Punt Returns - 3

Kickoff Returns - 8

Turnover Margin - 1

Pass Defense - 8

Passing Efficiency - 12

Sacks - 11

Tackles For Loss - 10

Sacks Allowed - 8

Nebraska's conference ranks:

Rushing Offense - 1

Passing Offense - 11

Total Offense - 5

Scoring Offense - 2

Rushing Defense - 9

Pass Efficiency Defense - 1

Total Defense - 2

Scoring Defense - 2

Net Punting - 7

Punt Returns - 1

Kickoff Returns - 2

Turnover Margin - 6

Pass Defense - 2

Passing Efficiency - 3

Sacks - 5

Tackles For Loss - 12

Sacks Allowed - 4

I highlighted in RED the only two categories in which ISU leads Nebraska.

Our Dline has to be ready, and we have to make tackles, especially against the run. From what I've seen of ISU's offense (vs Texas and KSU), their success is predicated on how well their Oline blocks. I know that's the case with any offense, but ISU really gashed Texas and KSU (in the 2nd half) for several 10-20 yard plays (run and pass) that extended drives and got them to the endzone.

As far as our offense is concerned, we gotta handle the rock with care. ISU's success stems from its ability to force turnovers, especially fumbles. Every Husker fan knows this and keeps saying it, but for good reason. Our guys must be ready for some big hits b/c there are a few ISU defenders who can really lay the smackdown from what I've seen, and they've been the primary catalysts.