What are the Cyclones Strengths?

Nebula

Didn't you hear? They beat Texas and we didn't. :sarcasm

What part of that is sarcasm? You do realize that statement is true, right?

I do realize that....

I tried playing off the "Pollsters" type of thought and indicated that because they beat a team that beat us, that they then are by process of simple deduction, better then us. This is of course typical ISU thinking right now...

if we show a little bit of a pulse, it should be a blowout.

This is the mindset that scares me. I mean if our boys show up with this mindset like they did vs Texas, we're in for a very disturbing game IMO.

But they didn't show much of a pulse against Texas now did they?

Hey Dude, that's exactly what I'm saying. Our guys got a big head 'cause they thought they could just show up with a little pulse, and the win would be theirs for the taking. That's not the right mindset, and it obviously backfired in a big way. That is exactly what we cannot afford to do.

if we show a little bit of a pulse, it should be a blowout.

This is the mindset that scares me. I mean if our boys show up with this mindset like they did vs Texas, we're in for a very disturbing game IMO.

But they didn't show much of a pulse against Texas now did they?

Hey Dude, that's exactly what I'm saying. Our guys got a big head 'cause they thought they could just show up with a little pulse, and the win would be theirs for the taking. That's not the right mindset, and it obviously backfired in a big way. That is exactly what we cannot afford to do.

It's a good thing I'm not coaching them then lulz. Just a dude on a message board telling it like I see it.

On paper, Nebraska should win this one and win it handily. Granted, that's what should have happened last year, but I'm feeling pretty good about this year. We haven't had many turnovers the last two games (including zero at home this last weekend), we have played really well on the road, and almost everybody (with the exception of Martinez) is healthy.

If they still want to use Martinez a lot in the ground game this week, they should do more vertical running up the middle as opposed to sideline to sideline stuff. Running straight ahead will probably be easier than trying to juke people near the sidelines.

Cyclone strengths huh? Well...let me give you a lesson

QB - Not a strength. If Arnaud falls behind he constantly tries to force the issue and fails miserably.

RB - I would say this is an ISU strength. Robinson is a good one and Woody is a brusier in short yardage situations

WR - I would also say this is a strength, especially at TE where we have one of the best ones in the country if Arnaud can actually get him the ball

O-Line - This was a weakness earlier in the year but they have begun to come around. Maybe not a strength, but no longer a weakness either

Kicker - I'm pretty neutral on this one. Mahoney has his good days...and his bad ones.

Punter - This is a big strength. We got a lot of practice at this against Iowa, Utah and Oklahoma

D-Line - Not a strength. Heart does not make up for the lack of size and ability.

LB - This is a strength. The LB's are surprising me every game with their physical play. Klein and Knott are going to be good ones

DB - Sometimes a strength, sometimes a weakness. The DB's like to gamble. Great when it pays off. Horrible when it doesn't. Lately it's paid off a lot more

Coaching - Another strength. Rhodes does a great job getting the most out of what he has. He gets his guys ready to play and isn't afraid to throw a wrench in the works with trick plays like fake punts, onside kicks at unexpected times...crap like that.

Intangibles include playing at home against Nebraska for the last time, the fact that we've already had the crap kicked out of us by teams in the top 10 so aren't really afraid of playing another one. The fact that it would be great to become bowl eligible against the Huskers and the fact that the Cyclones are still in the mix for a North championship this late in the season.

A real big weakness though is lack of depth at LB and D-Line. One guy goes down this weekend and the whole thing could go terribly wrong.

Oh..and all of us still hate Auburn and Gene Chizdick. Don't know how that figures into a Cyclone strength but thought I would mention it.

I think ISU has a good chance to make a game of it. Forcing turnovers and playing physical is key. Plus Martinez may or may not play the whole game you never know and he might fumble if he does. I'm expecting a win but see isu slowing the pace and chewing clock to keep it close going in to the half.

I think ISU has a few things going for them in this game. We aren't sure how well T-Magic is so if he is limited it could hurt us. ARob is one of the better running backs in the Big 12 and could take advantage of our mediocre run defense. Also we are in prime position for a let down after the Mizzou win and ISU does have a good turnover margin which isn't something to overlook after last year.

The Cyclones are heavily outmatched....agian and as long as only put the ball on the turf 7 times we win. Last year would have been a rout if it werent for the multiple fumbles on the goal line. The only thing the Clowns have going for them is that it is at home, except NU plays better on the road so I say that theory of thought is negated. Austen Arnaud is not a good thrower with avg mobility. He could hurt us with QB runs as we have seen from Gabbert/Gilbert but it wont be enough to keep this game respectable. There running back while good is running behind a line that isn't.

In the end ISU and KSU are pretty close to being the same team. The end result will likely be the same. Look for the stands to be empty at half as the fans go drown their delusional thoughts of a win in booze.

I was going to spend the $90x2=$180 to watch this game in the stadium but I feel no need pay Jamie Pollard's inflated prices to see what is surely to be a massacre. I will watch it on tv in the parking lot while i get ripped and try not to get punched or spit on by ISwho fans when they come out at half.

Makes sense to me. Relax in style outside where you can calmly down 30 or so beers while watching NU steamroll the helpless Clones. Not a bad scenario.

Unrelated thought: overconfidence was not a problem against Texas, it was playing tight, in fear of screwing up (predictably becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy).

:yeah

I didn't see an overconfident Nebraska team playing that day. I witnessed a very conservative put the training wheels on played game. And a lot of butter...butterflies and butterfingers.