What we learned today

walksalone

What I learned:

1. Turner Gill looks really strange in blue.

2. If Alex Henery is receiving a lot of TV time and a bunch of accolades from the announcers...we're not playing real well (although Henery is a stud).

3. Will the real Niles Paul please stand up?

4. I can actually fall asleep during a Husker football game.

5. If anyone has attended every single game during the Kansas/Nebraska streak–they should get to go out for free pizza with Joe Paterno.

Coached not to lose, could see it on the first offensive drive, 4th and 1 around the 40 (can't remember which 40) and they send out Henery. Huge disappointment for me, sure we had just got stuffed on the 3rd and 1, but you're saying that you don't trust the offense to pick up that yard on a second chance? That decision set the mood for the game, we were looking to win and it's a good thing the defense showed up tonight.

:facepalm:

If the offense wanted some more glamor, the opportunities were there. The offensive line did not dictate the tempo, the skill players fumbled, and the quarterback looks hobbled. Helu got STUFFED on that run and I thought it was the right call to punt. If the offense wants to stay on the field, pick up a f***ing yard! If not, then get the hell off.

Someone has all ready mentioned this, but guess what happens when you coach not to lose and succeed? You WIN!!! Yay!!!

The 'coach not to lose' slogan is getting tired, and seems to be a convenient way of placing blame when the team doesn't win stylistically. It wasn't pretty, and definitely not worth the $40 I shelled out to witness it, but they are 1 game from clinching a spot in the CCG. That's good enough for me tonight.

Coaching not to lose means doing enough to win and that's it. Sure, that sounds great to a lot of people because you're right, we win when we succeed and you can't argue with that. However, in the long run, it doesn't bode well because it shows that we lack the killer instinct that elite teams possess. They go for the kill and never let up. Wisconsin put up 83 points today. I never see this team doing that. We get a lead and coast. We rarely step on the throat and put the game away when we have the chance.

It's all fine and dandy now because it hasn't cost us a game..... yet. I think we are still one or two steps away from being an elite team in CFB. We lack consistency and you never know which team will show up (KSU/Washington or SDSU/Texas/ISU). We've looked lackadaisical in several games this year and we absolutely play up/down to our competition. Until this team learns to play at the same level week in and week out, we will fail to win a MNC.

Killer instinct is not what separates NU from the elite teams. Talent and experience is what separates them. What, You think the difference between this team and a NC is Pelini sending the punt team out on 4th and 1? I have a lot of hope in this program over the coming years. The offense has a freshman quarterback, a returning running back (along with a couple incoming guys), a returning speedster at TE, Kinnie, and a lot of depth on the OLine. The defense appears to be at the beginnings of a pipeline of talent. They'll get their shot in the next couple years. They're simply not there yet. Instead of feeling sh**ty about lackluster wins the past couple weeks, just accept the fact that they're merely a very good, young team, and not a powerhouse quite yet.

IMO, the offense still looks as though they don't know what to do when they're not breaking off 1 play TD runs. That will change as they mature together. Until then, I'm fairly satisfied with getting a fortunate victory last week and a lackluster W today.

• Fire 1

Coached not to lose, could see it on the first offensive drive, 4th and 1 around the 40 (can't remember which 40) and they send out Henery. Huge disappointment for me, sure we had just got stuffed on the 3rd and 1, but you're saying that you don't trust the offense to pick up that yard on a second chance? That decision set the mood for the game, we were looking to win and it's a good thing the defense showed up tonight.

If the offense wanted some more glamor, the opportunities were there. The offensive line did not dictate the tempo, the skill players fumbled, and the quarterback looks hobbled. Helu got STUFFED on that run and I thought it was the right call to punt. If the offense wants to stay on the field, pick up a f***ing yard! If not, then get the hell off.

Someone has all ready mentioned this, but guess what happens when you coach not to lose and succeed? You WIN!!! Yay!!!

The 'coach not to lose' slogan is getting tired, and seems to be a convenient way of placing blame when the team doesn't win stylistically. It wasn't pretty, and definitely not worth the $40 I shelled out to witness it, but they are 1 game from clinching a spot in the CCG. That's good enough for me tonight.

Coaching not to lose means doing enough to win and that's it. Sure, that sounds great to a lot of people because you're right, we win when we succeed and you can't argue with that. However, in the long run, it doesn't bode well because it shows that we lack the killer instinct that elite teams possess. They go for the kill and never let up. Wisconsin put up 83 points today. I never see this team doing that. We get a lead and coast. We rarely step on the throat and put the game away when we have the chance.

It's all fine and dandy now because it hasn't cost us a game..... yet. I think we are still one or two steps away from being an elite team in CFB. We lack consistency and you never know which team will show up (KSU/Washington or SDSU/Texas/ISU). We've looked lackadaisical in several games this year and we absolutely play up/down to our competition. Until this team learns to play at the same level week in and week out, we will fail to win a MNC.

Killer instinct is not what separates NU from the elite teams. Talent and experience is what separates them. What, You think the difference between this team and a NC is Pelini sending the punt team out on 4th and 1? I have a lot of hope in this program over the coming years. The offense has a freshman quarterback, a returning running back (along with a couple incoming guys), a returning speedster at TE, Kinnie, and a lot of depth on the OLine. The defense appears to be at the beginnings of a pipeline of talent. They'll get their shot in the next couple years. They're simply not there yet. Instead of feeling sh**ty about lackluster wins the past couple weeks, just accept the fact that they're merely a very good, young team, and not a powerhouse quite yet.

IMO, the offense still looks as though they don't know what to do when they're not breaking off 1 play TD runs. That will change as they mature together. Until then, I'm fairly satisfied with getting a fortunate victory last week and a lackluster W today.

More so than talent and experience, what really separates this team from other elite teams is consistency. Plain and simple. We need to show up with the same intensity each and every week, regardless of the opponent. We have all the talent in the world, yet that talent seems to pick and choose when it wants to come to play. I agree that we are lacking in experience, but against inferior and less talented opponents (SDSU, KU) our superior talent should dominate, regardless of experience.

More so than talent and experience, what really separates this team from other elite teams is consistency. Plain and simple. We need to show up with the same intensity each and every week, regardless of the opponent. We have all the talent in the world, yet that talent seems to pick and choose when it wants to come to play. I agree that we are lacking in experience, but against inferior and less talented opponents (SDSU, KU) our superior talent should dominate, regardless of experience.

I agree that they are inconsistent. But what is the status quo? I happen to think that they overacheived in their games against KState and UW, along with 1 quarter against Mizzou. I think it's naive to assume to expect that type of performance week in and week out. And those teams themselves are marked with inconsistency as well. On offense, they simply have a good OLine along with several homerun threats in the backfield. Even Oregon, who seems to be the benchmark for explosive offense this year, is struggling today against a lackluster Cal squad.

I just got back from the Oregon - Cal game.

I had thought Cal would have to put together a near flawless game if they wanted to stay with Oregon.

But Cal was inconsistent and sloppy, had some killer penalties and turnovers and suffered by having an inexperienced second string quarterback in only his second start, wildly overthrowing wide open receivers.

And they still almost beat the seemingly invincible Oregon Ducks, the number one team in the nation. 15 - 13. The Oregon offense scored one touchdown.

It was hard to tell if Oregon was playing not to lose, but they struck fear into the hearts of absolutely no one today and if it had been Nebraska on the field, Nebraska beats Oregon.

This was not a week for style points. Unless you're Wisconsin. And I'm putting money down that Michigan takes Wisconsin out next week.

It's a funny game.

I just got back from the Oregon - Cal game.

I had thought Cal would have to put together a near flawless game if they wanted to stay with Oregon.

But Cal was inconsistent and sloppy, had some killer penalties and turnovers and suffered by having an inexperienced second string quarterback in only his second start, wildly overthrowing wide open receivers.

And they still almost beat the seemingly invincible Oregon Ducks, the number one team in the nation. 15 - 13. The Oregon offense scored one touchdown.

It was hard to tell if Oregon was playing not to lose, but they struck fear into the hearts of absolutely no one today and if it had been Nebraska on the field, Nebraska beats Oregon.

This was not a week for style points. Unless you're Wisconsin. And I'm putting money down that Michigan takes Wisconsin out next week.

It's a funny game.

I so wanted to go to that game... I live about a mile from the stadium, but didn't feel like sitting through a blowout. Now I'm kicking myself.

That sounds on the money to me. We're getting there......just not there yet.

What we learned today, let's see. :boxosoap Hmmmmmmmmmmm, WE ARE 9-1, quit over analyzing everything and just freaking enjoy it!!! Good lord people. I love what Matt Davidson had to say about this on 1110 before the game. People need to relax and be happy that we are were we are. Are chances of winning the Big 12 on the way out is very GOOD!!! We are back in the Top Ten, and we are even being talked about when it comes to the MNC (slim chance though).

Oregon barely won today, Iowa lost again, TCU barely escapes with a win, and Utah gets beat a second week in a row. Parody people, nothing is a given anymore, but yet the Huskers are still 9-1. I don't care how we win or how ugly it is, a win is a win and that is all that matters. Maybe we need to relive 07 (better yet, 04 through 07) again so some on here will be more thankful!!!

Just wait, there will soon be the A&M is going to kill us thread. Like Mizzu and and Okie lite were supposed to.

P.S. WOW, Wisconsin is scary.

NU has the best record they've had in a decade.

The team is talented enough to hold a glorified practice for the more important stuff in a few weeks

They're also smart enough to ignore this kind of BS

thank you. We'll find anything to bitch about apparently. We beat another conference, BCS opponent. Shut the fulk up, enjoy the win, and move onto the next game.

edit: I mean no sarcasm. DTrain2020 or whatever is out of line, and is more likely from one of the boards he posted.

I agree we are inconsistent.

I agree we coach not to lose.

The killer instinct and coaching not to lose are separate in my mind.

Although I would've liked to see them go for it on 4th and 1 it was early in the game. KI don't think the staff knew that our D would hold them to 87 yards. Don't give an inferior team early momentum. May change everything.

Who do you put the "coaching not to lose" on? Has to be Bo yes?

I know Wats is to blame for rising health care premiums, the 7 day war, and global warming but this isn't on him is it?