LB Mason Monheim

HuskerNMO

He makes excellent reads, but he doesn't seem to lay the wood very often. Almost all of his tackles are arm tackles wrapping up the feet. I want someone who will lower his shoulder and deliver a hit. Granted, this is probably his sophomore year.

I want someone who when they grab a guy to tackle him the guy doesn't get away and gets tackled. I don't care if he lays the wood or not. I want every tackler on our team to give up 0 yards after contact. Screw the big hits, tackle like you're supposed to.

He makes excellent reads, but he doesn't seem to lay the wood very often. Almost all of his tackles are arm tackles wrapping up the feet. I want someone who will lower his shoulder and deliver a hit. Granted, this is probably his sophomore year.

I want someone who when they grab a guy to tackle him the guy doesn't get away and gets tackled. I don't care if he lays the wood or not. I want every tackler on our team to give up 0 yards after contact. Screw the big hits, tackle like you're supposed to.

The thing is, nearly everytime he makes a tackle the guy falls forward for an extra yard or two. And arm tackles are not how you are supposed to tackle. It might work in high school, but a college runningback breaks through those wimpy tackles.

The thing is, nearly everytime he makes a tackle the guy falls forward for an extra yard or two. And arm tackles are not how you are supposed to tackle. It might work in high school, but a college runningback breaks through those wimpy tackles.

But as you noted, this film is probably from his sophomore year.

+1. I'm in this guy's camp. Give me a good sure tackler over a thrilling Rickey "Failed Hit Stick" Thenarse any day (for those of you who go back that far... remember Madden 2005 when they first introduced it? I think it was the year after it became so easy to bounce off... IIRC the first year was really easy to use it. Of course, I played as Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and the Ravens in 2005. WAYYYYY off topic).

Anyway, we have another Rickey on the team already. Eric Martin on special teams... like Rickey 2.0. I have high hopes for the kid as he changes to defensive end, though.

• 6 months later...

Latest from Husker Journal:

JUNE 7, 2011. ALL TEAMS MESSAGE BOARDS

MASON MONHEIM, LB, 6-1, 215, ORRVILLE, OHIO

Monheim has offers from Illinois and most MAC schools.

Likes Illinois And Facilities

“I took a visit to Illinois and I liked it.” Monheim said. “Everything was really nice, for one everything was in one area. The meeting rooms are right by the field, the practice field is in one central location. The weight room was super nice it’s big and all new.”

“The head Coach Ron Zook has some history with Orrville; I think it was his first coaching job at Orrville. Ron is straight forward with you he’s such a cool guy.” Monheim said

Zook Being Honest With Monheim

“Coach Zook said you want to go some where’s you fit. If Illinois is not the place he doesn’t want me there, it’s not going to work out the best. He just said take your time but make sure you are making the right decision when you do.” Monheim said

Monheim was referred to Ron Zook by former Orrville Coach Moe Pipton. Pipton spoke highly of Monheim and Coach Zook decided to offer him a scholarship.

Academics Playing A Part

“Illinois seems pretty big on academics. The staff member with academics met with me, basically all the Big 10 schools really, really have good academics. You’re going to get a great education there.” Monheim said

Summer Camps

“I heard from the Big 10 the bigger schools; they want me to go to their camps. I’ve taken visits to some of the places. The camps I’m going to are Michigan State and probably Ohio State. Michigan State seemed super interested I thought they might offer earlier. I went up there a week before the spring game-saw everything.” Monheim said

Michigan State coaches told Monheim before they came to the school they will let him know either look at other schools or come to our camp. MSU coaches did invite him to camp. Monheim said he’s hopeful for an offer this summer from MSU

OSU Fan Growing Up

“Ohio State said the biggest thing is coming to camp. See me running and everything see how I work out. My parents went to Ohio State and I grew up a Buckeye fan. I’ve been to a bunch of their games; rich tradition and everything just unbelievable.” Mohheim said

“Nebraska came to my school last month. I haven’t heard a lot from them. Max Pirman, I bet you know who that is (NU Signee). Earlier in the fall me and him went to the Nebraska and Kansas game. It reminded me of Orrville it’s all about football, everybody just loved it.” Monheim said

• 6 months later...