Chatelain column

Hercules

You gotta figure this board is a different audience than the NE populace as a whole. Old ladies and casual fans eat this stuff up. I guess they want to know whether TG's wife wears a scarf or not.

Maybe... but the lasting image I get from this article is Dirk Chatelain in a trench coat hiding in the shadows of trees around the stadium with his notepad, following Turner Gill around for about an hour after the game.

Maybe from your guys' point of view it was a "bad" article, but from a journalistic sense it was a good one. It was very descriptive and had you feel like you were actually there. It had the suspense and drama that any story needs. Maybe this wasnt an article at all but a story about turner gill coming back to Nebraska. You kinda knew what happened every night, during and after the game. So from a story sense, it was written well. It had suspense, drama, and very descriptive. It may have been "creepy" but if youre trying to tell a story about someone shouldnt it be as detailed as possible? People could actualy envision what was going on.

You gotta figure this board is a different audience than the NE populace as a whole. Old ladies and casual fans eat this stuff up. I guess they want to know whether TG's wife wears a scarf or not.

Maybe... but the lasting image I get from this article is Dirk Chatelain in a trench coat hiding in the shadows of trees around the stadium with his notepad, following Turner Gill around for about an hour after the game.

Ha ha! This conjures up a good image. And it's probably true. But isn't that the way all good reporters are?

Even though he would never say it, this had to be hard for Turner. Potentially, this was his last time in Memorial Stadium, unless he visits for personally reasons. The final chapter on this part of his life and it was a huge part of his life. We love you Turner and know you will turn KU around. I might even have to be a KU fan just for you. Hopefully we meet in a Bowl game or have a home and away with you some day down the road (Huskers win of course).

I just don't get it. Where do people get off saying we know you're turn the KU program around? Around from what? The BCS Bowl and win they had just a couple of years ago? They had their best decade under Manino with four bowl appearances in the 2000's as Mangino coached them from 2002-09. Their previous best decade resulted in a mere two bowl games in a decade. Mangino was the first head coach to have a winning record since a coach from the late 50's to mid-60's. Mangino already turned the KU program around. If Gill turns it back around, it would appear they'd go back to their losing ways.

Ha ha! This conjures up a good image. And it's probably true. But isn't that the way all good reporters are?

I'd be cool with the image if they were following around Gene Chizik trying to discover the money trail between Auburn and Cam Newton... But Dirk's sitting out there talking into his tape recorder saying, "9:22 pm, Turner Gill places napkin on lap. 9:23 pm, Gill takes bite out of ham and cheese sandwich. Mayonaisse drips on to the napkin..."

I'll give the writer some credit. He probably had in his mind when the game was scheduled that he wanted to take the "Turner back to Nebraska" angle and the emotions behind it. I'm sure (at least hoping) that he had pre-interview(s) with Gill about his upcoming trip, watched his mannerisms while he was there. And more than likely (assuming he had Gill's permission) wanted to talk with Turner after the game win or loss.

While he was talking with Turner, all the "dramatic" things happened and he felt that might be a better column. I enjoyed it, I could picture the scene he set, and I read from the first to last word. The author did his job.

I'm not a writer, so I'm slow to be critical. My cousin is a sportwriter for a paper in western/central Nebraska, and he told me it is not uncommon (with permission) to follow a subject on to the team bus (you have to fit the subject's schedule). This would explain the "up close" view of the post game meal. Granted, he deals more with UNK and high school coaches.

Bottom line..Chat was probably having an organized interview, but felt the story happening around the interview was better.

Maybe from your guys' point of view it was a "bad" article, but from a journalistic sense it was a good one. It was very descriptive and had you feel like you were actually there. It had the suspense and drama that any story needs. Maybe this wasnt an article at all but a story about turner gill coming back to Nebraska. You kinda knew what happened every night, during and after the game. So from a story sense, it was written well. It had suspense, drama, and very descriptive. It may have been "creepy" but if youre trying to tell a story about someone shouldnt it be as detailed as possible? People could actualy envision what was going on.

I cannot wait for the movie.

• Fire 4