Cotton should have kicked harder

SECHusker

My only thought is I wish he would have landed a clean blow on the homo grabbing him like that. At least the 3rd and 44 would have been a little funnier if he would have gotten a head shot..When the fix is in you might as well get your shots in cause your gonna get called one way or another.

Pelini really laid into him after that penalty. While any penalty is never good, especially tonight I think it's fair to say he probably had no idea just exactly what happened under that pile to cause such a reaction. :blink:

It's just like when he got pissed at Legate against ISU. He was mad about the penalty. He didn't realize our players were being physically assaulted after the play was over.

Honestly I was pissed at Cotton. That all changed once I saw the video of course. I had no idea.

So was I. I figured someone was grabbing at his leg/ankle because he limped afterward. All I know is if that's me that happened to, those kicks wouldn't have been the end of it.

It's just like when he got pissed at Legate against ISU. He was mad about the penalty. He didn't realize our players were being physically assaulted after the play was over.

Honestly I was pissed at Cotton. That all changed once I saw the video of course. I had no idea.

I was never pissed at cotton. The first thing that went through my mind was "empty that pileup ref it's obvious we have the ball!"

It's so painful that the Jerod-Eddie was even allowed to stay on the back of the pile for this long. How inept can the officials be? If there is even a question as to who has the ball (in my opinion, there wasn't in this case), the refs first priority should be to clear out anyone who clearly doesn't have the ball. And yet Jerod-Eddie was nowhere near the ball, laying on Cotton's legs, and a ref right behind him simply stands there like an idiot.

Jerod-Eddie should be suspended for a game, but the officials involved should be disciplined for (among other things) not making a reasonable effort to immediately clear out all players not directly involved in the fight for the ball (which included only two Aggies, if you even conclude that the recovery wasn't obvious).

And here's another thing. This is straight from the NCAA rulebook:

Team A fumbles or the ball is loose after a backward pass. Several

players dive on the ball, creating a “pile.’’ RULING: The covering

official(s) shall stop the clock and the 40-second clock shall start.

Upon positive knowledge of who recovered, the referee will point

in the direction governed by possession and start the game clock (a)

immediately if Team A has recovered short of the line to gain (no first

down), or (B) on the snap if Team B has recovered.

The play was over at 2:46, which means the refs should have stopped the clock until the recovery was official and possession signaled. They did not. If you claim the recovery was already deemed obvious by the officials (and thus the clock not stopped by rule) then Jerod-Eddie, Williams and Porter all should have been flagged:

A1 is tackled on third down behind the neutral zone by B1. After

the ball is dead, B2 piles on A1. RULING: Team B personal foul.

Penalty—15 yards from the succeeding spot. First and 10 for Team

A (Rule 9-1-2-g).

None of these three players was involved in the tackle/attempted recovery, but all jumped on the pile after the play.

Either way, the officials did a whole lot wrong on this play alone. Hard to believe, I know.

• Fire 1