Perlman unhappy with Bo's sideline behavior

HuskerNMO

Perlman should have declined comment and handled the matter internally with Bo. A little ridiculous that the Chancellor is essentially throwing him under the bus in the press.

Disagree, if he declines comment he might as well of said I agree with what Bo said. Harvey needed to say, we are Nebraska, we do not condone that type of behavior and will correct it. His job is to protect the image of the University, even if it means knocking Pelini down a notch or two.

Bo was on tilt last night, but I think that it could have been handled better by Perlman. Who knows, maybe his comments were taken out of context. I don't think Pelini's actions should be condoned, but his reactions to what was happening were slightly calmer than those of my tablemates. Bo is going to have to learn how to control himself better for sure, I am just not a proponent of publicly attempting to save face by calling out one of your employees.

Good points :thumbs

Many on here seem to like compairing Bo to Bob Devaney.

The constant sideline shots weren't nearly as prevalent (or in focus) back in the day.

But the big difference besides Bob's quick wit was Bob could get over it within a few seconds.

Bo holds on like a pitbull and lets it affect the rest of the game.

It would've been fun to see Pearlman go down to the sideline a poke/spit on Bo at the time.

I would call it preventive action.

It also addresses the many fans that feel it was a terrible display for the University. My guess those numbers are quite large. I would guess it is in response to boosters and emails rolling into the UNL office.

Pearlman is a very smart man. He did it for a reason, not knee jerk I am sure.

all i know is i explicitly trust perlman and osborne. these are two of the most intelligent, cunning men in division one sports. nothing, NOTHING, they do is off the cuff, if you will. we may not know the reason, but everything from their past "performances" indicates they are infinitely smarter than any poster on this board. so im gonna side with giving the perlman a pass here.

Jtrain,

You have to understand that we are not normal fans. We are a very small part of the fan base. The fan base is made up mostly of people ranging from 35 to 90 years old, is my guess. It is not win at any cost for most of the fan base, love of the University and what it brings to the community and the state of Nebraska. It is not MNC or CC's, it is representing the people and the state in an above board way. My guess is this is going to get a lot more attention, could end up with Bo not being allowed on the field for a game.

This was a major embarassement for the program, Bo and the University of Nebraska. What we saw last night was not the Nebraska way of handling things.

This may be the one thing that will get him under control. He is a great coach, has truly changed the thought process for the team, but he needs to lead by actions and unfortunately he is not. He would never allow his players to act like he did last night and as he has in the past.

I agree we got hosed, but his actions should be above what we saw. They have to be.

Exactly, and they donate alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jtrain,

You have to understand that we are not normal fans. We are a very small part of the fan base. The fan base is made up mostly of people ranging from 35 to 90 years old, is my guess. It is not win at any cost for most of the fan base, love of the University and what it brings to the community and the state of Nebraska. It is not MNC or CC's, it is representing the people and the state in an above board way. My guess is this is going to get a lot more attention, could end up with Bo not being allowed on the field for a game.

This was a major embarassement for the program, Bo and the University of Nebraska. What we saw last night was not the Nebraska way of handling things.

This may be the one thing that will get him under control. He is a great coach, has truly changed the thought process for the team, but he needs to lead by actions and unfortunately he is not. He would never allow his players to act like he did last night and as he has in the past.

I agree we got hosed, but his actions should be above what we saw. They have to be.

Winning at any cost? Can you remind me when I or anyone else here said such a thing? You act like dropping a bunch of F-bombs or poking a player in the chest equates to raping children.

I would love for some of you to be a fly on the field during mid-nineties practices. Do you think it was just TO sitting on a golden throne golf clapping? Some of the defensive coaches and line coaches would make last night's Bo look like Little Bo Peep.

Jtrain,

Exactly, and they donate alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$

The chief donors were the ones behind the decision to hire Bo with his fire and passion over the calmer, TO-like Gill.

Jtrain,

Winning at any cost? Can you remind me when I or anyone else here said such a thing? You act like dropping a bunch of F-bombs or poking a player in the chest equates to raping children.

I would love for some of you to be a fly on the field during mid-nineties practices. Do you think it was just TO sitting on a golden throne golf clapping? Some of the defensive coaches and line coaches would make last night's Bo look like Little Bo Peep.

im not completely disagreeing with you jtrain, but the big difference there is that they kept it at practice. osborne let his staff do their jobs, and some did it very colorfully...however, on gameday, osborne was the big dick on the sidelines and he kept his sh#t together. he also got in refs ears, but there is a distinct difference between the way tom did it and bo does.

Oh god. What is wrong with people? Someone in another thread reminded us how it wasn't long ago we got to watch Callahan calmly pace the sidelines while we were down 30-10 to some completely average team. Now we have some really questionable things going on with officials and it cost us a big game. And Bo passionately wants to win these big games and isn't going hold back his emotion too much.

The fact that this is bothersome to Perlman while the refs situation apparently is not... well, that should be bothersome to us.

ffs people, no one is asking for a coach that does nothing. we're asking for a passionate coach that can refrain from melting down on the sideline.

stop bringing Callahan into this conversation, he is completely irrelevant to the current situation.

My guess is that one of the big boosters called Chancellor Pearlman.

No matter how we twist it or turn it. Bo is the face of the program.

The face we saw last night is not good, no matter how bad things were.

We want Pearlman to handle things behind closed doors, the same should be felt about Bo.

I will be surprised if we do not hear from the Big 12 and the NCAA over it.

Fire and passion are great and I have loved Bo's, but I have always been concerned over his inability to control his temper.

As we all can see, Bo's actions on the sidelines have caused a divide in the Husker Nation. Hopefully this problem with the Pelini's behavour can be resolved before it causes any more problems. We all love Bo's passion, his work ethic, and what he has done to return the Huskers to a winning program. We also know that the refs have been hosing us this season. Teams reflect their head coaches personalities and the Huskers look very undisciplined even barring the questionable calls. Bo needs to learn a little discipline himself or I'm afraid his stint here will not be as long as many of us are hoping. I'm not being critical, I'm being realistic. Another outburst like that and we could very well end up with another loser like we last had as coach.

• Fire 1

From an outsiders point of view, I also thought you got screwed by the officials a few times. I did think many of the calls were justified, though. And once Bo started harassing the officials as bad as he did it was obvious that every questionable call was going to go against Nebraska. I personally like when coaches get a little fired up and stand up for their team when they think something is wrong. That roughing the passer call was especially bad. At the same time I thought Bo went over that line Saturday and made himself look pretty bad. Actually, I thought his worst moment was tearing into Martinez on the sidelines and physically striking him. Even if it was nothing, any physical contact at all has turned into such a big issue lately I'm surprised he would do it during a game. It was even stranger giving the timing of Martinez just coming out of the locker room after being injured. What was that tirade about anyway?

As for the chancellor, that sounds like something best handled behind closed doors.

Welcome to the board Wolverine,

The fact that we have a bystander making the same comments that some of us have is the problem. He acknowledges we got hosed but his main comments are about our coach and the display he made last night. His words are what we should be concerned about. The face that Nebraska has today is not what this University has worked for for over 100 years.

I truly hope Bo gets under control, he has made this program a winner again, brought back our pride,but I must honesly say if he embarasses he University again, I will be one of the first to ask for his removal.