Perlman unhappy with Bo's sideline behavior

HuskerNMO

Read he's going to be getting a visit from TO too if he hasn't already.

I hope Bo takes this seriously because what we saw last night was unprofessional and embarrassing. There's no excuse for it. He needs to spend a little time thinking about his public perception and what can be done to repair the damage.

Frankly if I were Pelini, I'd suck it up and take my first press conference opportunity to publicly apologize for his outburst. Even though he has every right to be psychotically furious, he needs to get Machiavellian and look at the big picture. Right now he needs to lie to everyone, to himself if necessary, to convince them that he sees the error of his ways. Then he needs to take that Big XII trophy. After that there won't be anything left to say.

• Fire 1

Pelini is a tremendous coach, obviously. But if we polled the entire country with "Which coach is most likely to strike an opposing player, a la Woody Hayes, or an official?", is there any doubt that Pelini would win the poll in a landslide? I'm not suggesting that Bo would or wouldn't actually throw a punch, as I don't know, but the perception is certainly that he's damned close more than once a game -- there have to be fathers looking at this guy and telling their sons, "no way you're playing for him".

Pellini is a tremendous coach, obviously. But if we polled the entire country with "Which coach is most likely to strike an opposing player, a la Woody Hayes, or an official?", is there any doubt that Pellini would win the poll in a landslide? I'm not suggesting that Bo would or wouldn't actually throw a punch, as I don't know, but the perception is certainly that he's damned close more than once a game -- there have to be fathers looking at this guy and telling their sons, "no way you're playing for him".

Unfortunately, I think that may be the case. I hope this is all the stress of leaving the Big XII, and knowing that we are getting jobbed. I expect the first year in the Big 10 Bo will look much more composed. If not, I think it will be only a matter of time before he gets in trouble. I don't think it would ever be physical, but isn't that what all spouses say before they get hit?

all i know is i explicitly trust perlman and osborne. these are two of the most intelligent, cunning men in division one sports. nothing, NOTHING, they do is off the cuff, if you will. we may not know the reason, but everything from their past "performances" indicates they are infinitely smarter than any poster on this board. so im gonna side with giving the perlman a pass here.

I trust and respect TO tremendously, but Perlman? You do remember the Pederson/Callahan fiasco, correct? Harvey has done some good, and some bad. I don't think that he needed to make a public announcement.

This is bigger than the football program. Like it or not, Bo is not only the face of the football team, but the face of the entire university to the country. Our football program and its fanbase defines the state, and good or bad sets opinion of the entire school.

Also, It seems Perlman got the ship righted, if you will. You cant place the blame on him for it all, but then turn around and give all the credit to Osborne for Bo's hire and the like. The biggest golden nugget is the F A C T that Perlmans connections, prior positions, and respect from those arenas led to the Big 10 not only entertaining the idea of joining their conference, but ultimately accepting the entire University, not just the athletic departments fancy football program, on a very accelerated timetable. Perlman gets little credit for this, and it baffles me.

Someone at some point was going to have to say something, as the University is bigger than the football program. Guess what, that's Harveys job. This has happened before with Bo, and it was kept behind closed doors. I dont even want to imagine the media fallout if we acted like nothing was going on and took the Bo Pelini approach to press conferences with this whole ordeal, continually sweeping it under the rug.

both Tom O and Pearlman should come out and say it was over the top but also should say they completely understand that NU is being hosed by the Big 12.

:yeah

I agree with this as best way to address the whole deal. It is a good compromise and ultimately puts the issue squarely back on the horrid officiating to be addressed. Here's what you do. Harvey, TO, and Bo all agree that Bo went over the top and should not have berated the officials in the manner in which he did. He can still have passion and not disrespect the officials or bring negativity to the university. I think Bo can agree to address this in the media, whatever, that he recognizes he went too far, he is sorry about it, etc. From here on keep Bo and the team out of it. But now Harvey and TO must have Bo's back for this to work and must put pressure on the NCAA to look into the biased officiating issues being perpetuated against NU. This puts the focus back on the other issue at hand that the media needs to deal with. Because if this is not done correctly, the media is only going to pick up that Bo was at fault, reflect poorly on NU, and ultimately sour Bo that they don't have his back. If I were Bo I would agree to make amends on this knowing they have his back.

This is how the headlines should read:

Pelini apologizes for sideline behavior; Perlman, Osborne call for review of Saturday's officiating

So, now you read the story and are like, "Cool, glad to see Bo apologize. But hey, so what are they going to now do with this awful officiating! Finally, NCAA needs to look at this!" And now the Big 12 is the target of scrutiny, not Bo...because he already apologized...but will the Big 12?

• Fire 2
I trust and respect TO tremendously, but Perlman? You do remember the Pederson/Callahan fiasco, correct? Harvey has done some good, and some bad. I don't think that he needed to make a public announcement.

Gona go out on a limb and say Perlman doesn't spend all day every day thinking about football. This is probably the last thing he wants to be dealing with.

I hope this entire A&M debacle cools down, Bo learns his lesson and has a different sideline demeanor (maybe even apologizes) and we can get on with the business of one last CU beat down.

As a head coach in my day, i was always yelling and things during a game as well but i was not on TV either...i think the stress is really getting to him...we are not getting fair treatment and that is difficult to deal with. he was much more calm in the beginning of the year....i think he will be ok..it is a process he has to go through to change his behavior....it isnt something he had to worry about as a D. cord. since the cameras werent on him. but i am concerned about he recruits....