Steinkuhler suspended from Holiday Bowl

Husker sophomore defensive tackle Baker Steinkuhler will not play in the Holiday Bowl because of a suspension. “I have met with Baker Steinkuhler and discussed the situation with him," Husker coach Bo Pelini said in a statement. "He is a tremendous young man who made a mistake in judgment. Baker will not participate in the Holiday Bowl against Washington. In terms of our football program, all other discipline for Baker will be handled internally.”

Steinkuhler started all 13 games for the Huskers this year, accumulating 46 tackles, four tackles for losses and 3 1/2 sacks.

On the bright side for the Huskers, Terrence Moore has also been playing well at defensive tackle. It was Moore, in fact, who tipped the ball on the inteception by Courtney Osborne in the Big 12 Championship.

LINK

I"m sorry to hear Baker had a laps in judgement, but without knowing what he did I'll just say that I hope this is a one time issue.

Yep. Like many have said here at HuskerBoard, when we were 20 we made some poor decisions, too. Part of growing up. Here's hoping it's not too serious, and that it's a one-time issue.

Bring on Terrance Moore and Thad Randle. Won't miss a beat.

Woah, this is out of left field.

I have not paid attention to the DTs lately, but it seems Moore/Randle have had a lot of playing time in later games. I hardly ever see Crick come off the field so I'm guessing they both go in place Tesin.

I wonder what Baker did for this to suddenly come out now, and so publicly.

I believe Centennial Mall was where Niles Paul got caught wizzing on fence.

Yep. When I was at UNL it was called "The Drunk Lot" since everyone parked at Anderson Hall and than went to O street. I do remember an article by the Daily Nebraskan about people complaining cause the place would smell of unire because so many people who "take a leak" in the bushes or what not.

Woah, this is out of left field.

I have not paid attention to the DTs lately, but it seems Moore/Randle have had a lot of playing time in later games. I hardly ever see Crick come off the field so I'm guessing they both go in place Tesin.

I wonder what Baker did for this to suddenly come out now, and so publicly.

That's truly a shame. I'm more disappointed for this young man than the team. NU is deep enough that it shouldn't be a major issue, but for him to miss an opportunity to play in a bowl, no matter how minor, is a great experience.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_2c9dfbdf-f443-5e68-b477-4563b440260f.html

Lincoln Police Officer Katie Flood said an officer spotted a 1993 Ford Explorer heading north on Centennial Mall near O Street at 1:45 a.m. Tuesday. Its headlights were not on, and the driver of the Explorer failed to signal when the SUV turned right onto P Street, Flood said.

The officer stopped the SUV and said the driver, Steinkuhler, 21, had watery, bloodshot eyes and the smell of alcohol on him. He was taken to Cornhusker Place detox center, where his blood alcohol content was measured at .115 percent, according to police reports. The legal limit is .08 percent.

Steinkuhler was cited for first-offense driving under the influence, operating a motor vehicle at night without headlights and failing to signal. He is set to appear in Lancaster County Court Jan. 4.

Well, if you would've checked out the OP's link, you'd know what happened.

Nebraska defensive tackle Baker Steinkuhler will not play for the Huskers in the Holiday Bowl after receiving a DUI citation earlier this week.

Steinkuhler was cited and released by Lincoln police early Tuesday morning on suspicion of driving under the influence.

Lincoln Police Officer Katie Flood said an officer spotted a 1993 Ford Explorer heading north on Centennial Mall near O Street at 1:45 a.m. Tuesday. Its headlights were not on, and the driver of the Explorer failed to signal when the SUV turned right onto P Street, Flood said.

The officer stopped the SUV and said the driver, Steinkuhler, 21, had watery, bloodshot eyes and the smell of alcohol on him. He was taken to Cornhusker Place detox center, where his blood alcohol content was measured at .115 percent, according to police reports. The legal limit is .08 percent.

Steinkuhler was cited for first-offense driving under the influence, operating a motor vehicle at night without headlights and failing to signal. He is set to appear in Lancaster County Court Jan. 4.

For pete's sake, what the heck was he thinking? This crap angers me to no end.

Couldn't agree more.

Seriously, for Christ's sake, there is a FREE TAXI NUMBER YOU CAN CALL IN LINCOLN and they will get you home for FREE if you have been drinking. Again, I say FREE.

DUI's are completely inexcusable imho. I apologize to any of our members who may have gotten one, but this crap is ridiculous.