Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

I can see the reasons this would interest him, but moreso the Florida job.

Talent at every corner from the top to the bottom of the state. Florida would be a better personality fit for him. Meyers ran a pretty tight ship, or at least until this year.

I would be more concerned if he interviewed for the Florida job. But both would be easier to get to a National Championship(due to ease of recruiting). Miami in the ACC, with his defenses and the talent he could bring on board would be a cake walk compared to the SEC or Big Ten.

But I think it is all talk. I think he is here until the Ohio State job is open, when that happens my guess is that he is gone.

This is what I was thinking. I doubt he'd leave for Miami, but Florida is a completely different animal. From what rumblings I've heard, Florida is very interested in Bob Stoops. Normally, I'd say Stoops stays put. However, even he's got to be thinking about the eventual implosion of the Big 12. I'm just waiting to see what kind of mess Pud creates up there in Pitt. He's the absolute last AD I'd want choosing the next coach.

If I'm Bo and I'm given the choice between Miami, Florida and staying at Nebraska, I'm giving Florida a looooong look. That's a heck of a school with a heck of an Athletic program, in the most powerful conference in the country. Miami is a distant third in that equation, and Nebraska is neck-and-neck with FLA.

The biggest question there is, would Florida be interested in Bo? Hard to say.

Yep, here we go. Again.

And to expound on that - you're insinuating that Bo has expressed interest in this job to others, and that you, somehow know about it. That's a lot of belief to be expected out of people from an anonymous source. Crazy, eh?

You, somehow believe that no one talks and no one outside of a direct source would know.

Our AD and admin will know

Coaches will know

Agent will know

Folks who work alongside agent will know

Other schools AD and admin will know

Other schools coaches will know

Friends of all of the above will know

But yet, there is no way it could possibly work it's way out for anyone to find out. :rolleyes:

I don't even see why you are so defensive as of late, especially over this. I even said Bo will not go, but he has listened. And why would he not? It is not like he is paid handsomely here - so if another school offered him and his family a great sense of job security and a slew of cash, why would he not listen?

Our AD and Bo's agent would know, but it's not a given that anyone else on your list would know. Further, it's not a given that anyone on your list would disclose such to their friends, and in fact, it's as likely that they wouldn't, since contracts and accompanying negotiations would necessarily be kept as private as possible until they're announced. Contract negotiations are never held publicly.

Other school's coaches and ADs would be very late on the list to know. Friends would be the last, and least likely, to know.

What you expect us to believe, without any kind of proof (and again, I understand your position if you really are an Admin at Nebraska), is that Bo really is expressing interest in a job that would be a step down from his current position, merely three years after taking this job, with no prior coaching experience either at Miami or in the conference.

What I don't understand is why you get upset when you're questioned on this stuff. You know you've never explained why we should take your word for anything, so why the surprise? I've given very plausible explanations on why this is bunk, but you've given nothing other than supposition for why this is (possibly) true. It's not too much to ask, is it, that you verify something, anything you've said?

So you think Bo, who has an extreme loyalty to his coaches, would keep them blind on what happens?

You think if a coach expressed interest in another school, that the other AD and administration would not know?

And you think that would not trickle down to the coaches?

You also think that folks who worked alongside Bo's agent would not be aware of conversations being had about a firms client and it would be extremely confidential?

You must think information is like the CIA classified info around these parts. :lol:

How is Miami a step down? Bo hates traveling to recruit and being away from his family - he could recruit directly around Miami and pull in consistently great classes. He could get a raise. He could have actual complete control over football decisions.

It's a matter of opinion whether it would be a step-down job wise. I mean, it was not that long ago that Butch Davis and Larry Coker had what looked like a dynasty down there.

Personally, I really do not care that much who believes me. However, it is aggravating when folks act like there is no way anyone can know certain things. To me, you had a set opinion before I even said anything, and you were not moving from it.

If you don't want to believe it regardless, that is perfectly fine. But to act like no one could be aware of what Bo is thinking is pure nonsense, and you know it.

This thread is starting to get absurd, Bo isn't going anywhere. Seriously, you think Bo would get up and take is family (which loves Lincoln, NE) and leave a program that is not only on the way up in college football ranks again, but has the kind of tradition and a great fan base and program that is full of good people (unlike Miami, its fair to say)...a program that is now in the BIG TEN, right up Bo's alley being an Ohio guy. Bo and Tom not commenting / denying the rumor as well. Not happening. I'd bet my life on it.

I can see the reasons this would interest him, but moreso the Florida job.

Talent at every corner from the top to the bottom of the state. Florida would be a better personality fit for him. Meyers ran a pretty tight ship, or at least until this year.

I would be more concerned if he interviewed for the Florida job. But both would be easier to get to a National Championship(due to ease of recruiting). Miami in the ACC, with his defenses and the talent he could bring on board would be a cake walk compared to the SEC or Big Ten.

But I think it is all talk. I think he is here until the Ohio State job is open, when that happens my guess is that he is gone.

This is what I was thinking. I doubt he'd leave for Miami, but Florida is a completely different animal. From what rumblings I've heard, Florida is very interested in Bob Stoops. Normally, I'd say Stoops stays put. However, even he's got to be thinking about the eventual implosion of the Big 12. I'm just waiting to see what kind of mess Pud creates up there in Pitt. He's the absolute last AD I'd want choosing the next coach.

If I'm Bo and I'm given the choice between Miami, Florida and staying at Nebraska, I'm giving Florida a looooong look. That's a heck of a school with a heck of an Athletic program, in the most powerful conference in the country. Miami is a distant third in that equation, and Nebraska is neck-and-neck with FLA.

The biggest question there is, would Florida be interested in Bo? Hard to say.

I don't think so. Especially since Meyer will be part of the coaching search. I bet they choose Dan Mullen (Miss St Coach). He has been with Urban a long time.

I dismiss this as an arrogant Miami program that remains stuck in the early 2000's when actually meant something too someone.

I really don't see Bo taking this job, it's a step down from his current position.

Miami is going too find out in this process the worth of their program and then turn around and wish they hadn't fired shannon.

Also, how much could this potentially hurt recruiting? Especially all the verbals we have so far? These kids are on the net reading message boards, news papers, and sports pages. If the rumors havent't been addressed and put to bed by the Coach, would these potential recruits go somewhere else due to these rumors? Kind of makes you think if they are rumors, why doesn't Bo say so?

Miami will have hired a coach long before recruits sign, so this will all be put to rest way before we lose anyone.

I think it just opens us up to "So, just how long you think your coach will stay there if he's already looking around?" - regardless of the end result of this particular coaching search.

I noted earlier I think this serves, intentionally or not, a notice to any school around the country that Bo could potentially be had. Whereas I don't think anyone even bothers to inquire about say, Bill Belichick, or Frank Beamer - but maybe I am naive there, too. But anyway, the flip side of that is that it serves the same notice to recruits, which just adds another battle we will have to win them over on. It can be debatable how big of an effect this is.

So you think Bo, who has an extreme loyalty to his coaches, would keep them blind on what happens?

You think if a coach expressed interest in another school, that the other AD and administration would not know?

And you think that would not trickle down to the coaches?

You also think that folks who worked alongside Bo's agent would not be aware of conversations being had about a firms client and it would be extremely confidential?

You must think information is like the CIA classified info around these parts. :lol:

I'm not inexperienced with contract negotiations. You may like to pretend that they are held publicly, but they aren't, and pretending doesn't make it so.

But we're not talking about Bo's agent, or ADs of other schools, or their apparatchiks, are we? We're talking about right here in Lincoln, people close to the program. Let's not pretend we're someone we're not.

Personally, I really do not care that much who believes me. However, it is aggravating when folks act like there is no way anyone can know certain things. To me, you had a set opinion before I even said anything, and you were not moving from it.

If you don't want to believe it regardless, that is perfectly fine. But to act like no one could be aware of what Bo is thinking is pure nonsense, and you know it.

I think it's perfectly obvious that you care if you're believed or not, and get a certain level of pleasure in being the guy with the knowledge. If not, why would you have ever insinuated that you had inside knowledge, and that you should be believed?

Again, it's not unreasonable to ask why you should be believed implicitly. Nothing you're saying deflects from that.

Also, how much could this potentially hurt recruiting? Especially all the verbals we have so far? These kids are on the net reading message boards, news papers, and sports pages. If the rumors havent't been addressed and put to bed by the Coach, would these potential recruits go somewhere else due to these rumors? Kind of makes you think if they are rumors, why doesn't Bo say so?

Miami will have hired a coach long before recruits sign, so this will all be put to rest way before we lose anyone.

I think it just opens us up to "So, just how long you think your coach will stay there if he's already looking around?" - regardless of the end result of this particular coaching search.

I noted earlier I think this serves, intentionally or not, a notice to any school around the country that Bo could potentially be had. Whereas I don't think anyone even bothers to inquire about say, Bill Belichick, or Frank Beamer - but maybe I am naive there, too. But anyway, the flip side of that is that it serves the same notice to recruits, which just adds another battle we will have to win them over on. It can be debatable how big of an effect this is.

Maybe it serves as notice. Maybe it's just a way for Bo to get a contract extension. Maybe it's just a newspaper trying to sell news. We have ample evidence of coaches using rumors like this to extend or enrich their contracts (Bob Stoops at OU, Urban Meyer at FLA, Frank Beamer at VA Tech) and none of them seem to hurt recruiting by doing this. We also have ample evidence of coaches who bounce from job to job like pinballs (Rick Neuheisel, Brian Kelly, Houston Nutt) and it doesn't seem to have terribly adversely affected their recruiting abilities.

Regardless, I think it's just silly to let a newspaper article citing anonymous sources ruffle your feathers so much. Imagine if Sooner Fan got this worked up every time Bob Stoops' name was mentioned as a candidate at another school. They'd have ripped out every shred of their hair by now if they did.

How does it rank among other top division 1 schools?

According to Athlon Sports Football Preview Top Coaching Jobs:

1. Texas

2. USC

3. Florida

4. Bama

5. tOhio State

6. OU

7. Florida State

8. Georgia

9. LSU

10. Michigan

Notables:

13. Miami

15. Oregon

17. Nebraska

18. Texas A&M

20. Auburn

27. Okie State

29. Pitt

30. Iowa

31. Colorado

37. Mizzou

42. Boise State

44. Texas Tech

54. Kansas

60. TCU

67. Kansas State

70. Iowa State

120. (Last) Eastern Michigan

Regardless, I think it's just silly to let a newspaper article citing anonymous sources ruffle your feathers so much.

Damn right, we are all frayed from the CCG still, I reckon' :)

I do think there are some things to be concerned about ... but it's the kind of the thing that if it'll pass, it'll pass. If it won't, there was nothing to do about it anyways.

For what it's worth on the 'insider rumors' here, Knapp, *all* point to Bo staying.