Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

Saying what he said is a way to say no this time without saying no. He can say the same thing the next time if it's a yes or a no. If his name pops up for three coaching positions and he flat out denies them all, then on a fourth he says, "I don't address rumor and innuendo" then we can take it to be he's looking into it. He won't be the coach at Nebraska until he retires. Saying it this way make sit easier down the road.

• Fire 2

Fair enough.

But it does not appear to be the kind of thing that Bo is incapable of squashing right away by just taking his name out of the running. This is pretty different from answering injury questions about a player, IMO, and just the damaging effects of having this over the airwaves should be apparent. Think about how any competing school will spin this to Tevin Mitchell or Charles Jackson. I'm not sure how I feel about the 'no comment' policy. That's usually something to say when there is something but you don't want to really elaborate about it. And when it is potentially damaging to let speculation continue or stories to keep going around, you squash it, like Bo squashed the Taylor rumors. He can easily say "No, I'm committed to Nebraska this year and I'm not going to be in the running for this job." But given the chance, he went the no comment route.

This may just be completely off base, but it seems that this reporting is continuing to happen because they are letting it happen. We'll see what happens in the next few days though. I could be wrong. Regardless of that, I am worried about the effects.

You mean the way Nick Saban did when he said "I'm not going to be the coach at Alabama"?

Saying what he said is a way to say no this time without saying no. He can say the same thing the next time if it's a yes or a no. If his name pops up for three coaching positions and he flat out denies them all, then on a fourth he says, "I don't address rumor and innuendo" then we can take it to be he's looking into it. He won't be the coach at Nebraska until he retires. Saying it this way make sit easier down the road.

Very good point, sir.

Yep, here we go. Again.

And to expound on that - you're insinuating that Bo has expressed interest in this job to others, and that you, somehow know about it. That's a lot of belief to be expected out of people from an anonymous source. Crazy, eh?

You, somehow believe that no one talks and no one outside of a direct source would know.

Our AD and admin will know

Coaches will know

Agent will know

Folks who work alongside agent will know

Other schools AD and admin will know

Other schools coaches will know

Friends of all of the above will know

But yet, there is no way it could possibly work it's way out for anyone to find out. :rolleyes:

I don't even see why you are so defensive as of late, especially over this. I even said Bo will not go, but he has listened. And why would he not? It is not like he is paid handsomely here - so if another school offered him and his family a great sense of job security and a slew of cash, why would he not listen?

You know Bo has said it himself, that he doesn't stay anywhere more than three years. He did say it jokingly in reference to his career, but is he the type of guy that just can't sit still? Maybe every school is a stepping stone to him. I would like to think that he finally found a place to leave his legancy, but I'm realistic too. If he doesn't want to be here, I don't want him here. That said, I don't think he is leaving unless it is to go to the next level.

There's nothing to get worked up over here. It's just the news trying to drive traffic to their paper/show/website.

Eh, would not say that.

Definitely do not think Bo will go, but interest is there.

Bo told you he's interested?

And here we go .. :facepalm:

But just to respond in a correct way - I don't think Bo is the only person around who knows his level of interest, especially when he talks to others about the situation. As crazy as it is, people do talk, and people do tell others. Crazy, eh?

Yep, here we go. Again.

And to expound on that - you're insinuating that Bo has expressed interest in this job to others, and that you, somehow know about it. That's a lot of belief to be expected out of people from an anonymous source. Crazy, eh?

A firm denial would do a lot to make this go away. He didn't do that. He said he doesn't respond to rumors but this story comes from a source and that can be taken as a rumor but he should deny it if this isn't true. He wants to listen to offer that is fine, just say what you are doing.

His ability to deal with the media needs a lot of work.

There are a lot of other good reasons for Bo to play it this way, but I don't think any coincide with best interests for the team/school/fans. I guess this is a more forgivable scenario. But if this is some crackpot rumor that comes out of left field, is Bo viewed as the kind of guy that would react, "What the hell? They're saying I'm in the running for what?", then sit back and say "Wait a minute - I can play this safe, in case I ever do want to get out of here"?

As far as Nick Saban goes, that's sort of what I am talking about. If you put it out there definitively like that, you can't go back on it without looking really bad to just about everyone. I don't know what happened to make Saban change his mind, but I think Bo would care about looking that bad. It's pretty bad.

I'm not sure how anyone outside of Bo himself would know his true intentions, to be fair, but stuff does get around that can give hints. Just looking at the stuff that's really put out there in the media I guess it's narrowed down to: 1) Bo doesn't care, 2) Bo wants this to happen, 3) Bo didn't realize this was going to happen. As far as Bo wanting it to happen - taking a swipe at the University, leveraging for a better contract, genuine serious interest, or just thinking for the future to let other schools know he can be had instead of appearing tied down here for life - I guess it's all in the open.

I can see the reasons this would interest him, but moreso the Florida job.

Talent at every corner from the top to the bottom of the state. Florida would be a better personality fit for him. Meyers ran a pretty tight ship, or at least until this year.

I would be more concerned if he interviewed for the Florida job. But both would be easier to get to a National Championship(due to ease of recruiting). Miami in the ACC, with his defenses and the talent he could bring on board would be a cake walk compared to the SEC or Big Ten.

But I think it is all talk. I think he is here until the Ohio State job is open, when that happens my guess is that he is gone.

Yep, here we go. Again.

You, somehow believe that no one talks and no one outside of a direct source would know.

Our AD and admin will know

Coaches will know

Agent will know

Folks who work alongside agent will know

Other schools AD and admin will know

Other schools coaches will know

Friends of all of the above will know

But yet, there is no way it could possibly work it's way out for anyone to find out. :rolleyes:

I don't even see why you are so defensive as of late, especially over this. I even said Bo will not go, but he has listened. And why would he not? It is not like he is paid handsomely here - so if another school offered him and his family a great sense of job security and a slew of cash, why would he not listen?

Our AD and Bo's agent would know, but it's not a given that anyone else on your list would know. Further, it's not a given that anyone on your list would disclose such to their friends, and in fact, it's as likely that they wouldn't, since contracts and accompanying negotiations would necessarily be kept as private as possible until they're announced. Contract negotiations are never held publicly.

Other school's coaches and ADs would be very late on the list to know. Friends would be the last, and least likely, to know.

What you expect us to believe, without any kind of proof (and again, I understand your position if you really are an Admin at Nebraska), is that Bo really is expressing interest in a job that would be a step down from his current position, merely three years after taking this job, with no prior coaching experience either at Miami or in the conference.

What I don't understand is why you get upset when you're questioned on this stuff. You know you've never explained why we should take your word for anything, so why the surprise? I've given very plausible explanations on why this is bunk, but you've given nothing other than supposition for why this is (possibly) true. It's not too much to ask, is it, that you verify something, anything you've said?

A firm denial would do a lot to make this go away. He didn't do that. He said he doesn't respond to rumors but this story comes from a source and that can be taken as a rumor but he should deny it if this isn't true. He wants to listen to offer that is fine, just say what you are doing.

His ability to deal with the media needs a lot of work.

A firm denial would squash this, you're right. But as MinnwiscowaSker pointed out, saying the same thing every time throws off the scent when/if Bo finally does leave.

You're not correct when you say "this story comes from a source." No source has ever been identified, and knowing that news sources frequently throw out names during coaching searches, it's not surprising at all that a coach who's earned 10 wins each of the last three seasons would be mentioned. It helps sell newspapers, and it doesn't have to be true.

I'll agree with you that his ability to deal with the media needs work, but that's Bo. Likely he will never change.

I feel that Bo needs to put these rumors to bed instead of saying, "I'm not going to comment about this". Bo is not dumb and he has been here long enough to realize how much the stae of Nebraska follows their football program. If it's not true, why not come out and say it?

Also, how much could this potentially hurt recruiting? Especially all the verbals we have so far? These kids are on the net reading message boards, news papers, and sports pages. If the rumors havent't been addressed and put to bed by the Coach, would these potential recruits go somewhere else due to these rumors? Kind of makes you think if they are rumors, why doesn't Bo say so?

Also, how much could this potentially hurt recruiting? Especially all the verbals we have so far? These kids are on the net reading message boards, news papers, and sports pages. If the rumors havent't been addressed and put to bed by the Coach, would these potential recruits go somewhere else due to these rumors? Kind of makes you think if they are rumors, why doesn't Bo say so?

Miami will have hired a coach long before recruits sign, so this will all be put to rest way before we lose anyone.

I can see the reasons this would interest him, but moreso the Florida job.

Talent at every corner from the top to the bottom of the state. Florida would be a better personality fit for him. Meyers ran a pretty tight ship, or at least until this year.

I would be more concerned if he interviewed for the Florida job. But both would be easier to get to a National Championship(due to ease of recruiting). Miami in the ACC, with his defenses and the talent he could bring on board would be a cake walk compared to the SEC or Big Ten.

But I think it is all talk. I think he is here until the Ohio State job is open, when that happens my guess is that he is gone.

This is what I was thinking. I doubt he'd leave for Miami, but Florida is a completely different animal. From what rumblings I've heard, Florida is very interested in Bob Stoops. Normally, I'd say Stoops stays put. However, even he's got to be thinking about the eventual implosion of the Big 12. I'm just waiting to see what kind of mess Pud creates up there in Pitt. He's the absolute last AD I'd want choosing the next coach.