Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

My guess is who ever is offered the Florida job will take it instantly. Could be the best job in the country. Talent abounds, weather is fantastic, great conference, strong fan base, great facilities, and according to Urban a University that wants to win and backs the coach without question.

The variable at Miami would be the ease of the conference with the talent that could be recruited so easily. I think Shannon was changing the attitude of the program, was quite strict. Bo might fit there. Does not appear to have the vocal fan base that we have here.

Getting a team to the BCS NC would be far easier in Miami I think. Florida/Nebraska a lot harder for numerous reasons. Depends on what his goals are.

I think they are to lead Nebraska back to the National championship scene.

Regardless, I think it's just silly to let a newspaper article citing anonymous sources ruffle your feathers so much.

Damn right, we are all frayed from the CCG still, I reckon' :)

I do think there are some things to be concerned about ... but it's the kind of the thing that if it'll pass, it'll pass. If it won't, there was nothing to do about it anyways.

For what it's worth on the 'insider rumors' here, Knapp, *all* point to Bo staying.

That's great about the rumors, but I'll take TO's word over rumors, any day. I have a very fact-based job in R/L, which is why I put zero stock in rumors. Ever.

My take on Bo - love lots about what he's done here, but I doubt he'll be here the rest of his coaching career. Or maybe he retires like Urban Meyer to spend time with his family. Regardless, all my eggs aren't in Bo's basket. We'll have to replace him some day, and if that day is tomorrow or ten years from now, what will be will be. And like you said, there was nothing to do about it anyways.

Also, how much could this potentially hurt recruiting? Especially all the verbals we have so far? These kids are on the net reading message boards, news papers, and sports pages. If the rumors havent't been addressed and put to bed by the Coach, would these potential recruits go somewhere else due to these rumors? Kind of makes you think if they are rumors, why doesn't Bo say so?

Miami will have hired a coach long before recruits sign, so this will all be put to rest way before we lose anyone.

I think it just opens us up to "So, just how long you think your coach will stay there if he's already looking around?" - regardless of the end result of this particular coaching search.

I noted earlier I think this serves, intentionally or not, a notice to any school around the country that Bo could potentially be had. Whereas I don't think anyone even bothers to inquire about say, Bill Belichick, or Frank Beamer - but maybe I am naive there, too. But anyway, the flip side of that is that it serves the same notice to recruits, which just adds another battle we will have to win them over on. It can be debatable how big of an effect this is.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Many think this talk about Bo leaving or talking to Miami is all speculation or just crazy talk but look at the big picture. With Bo not addressing this to the media (shooting down the rumors), schools who are interested in our recruits can use this against us. Recruiting is a dog eat dog world out there, the residual effects of this could be very bad for recruiting.

I'm not inexperienced with contract negotiations. You may like to pretend that they are held publicly, but they aren't, and pretending doesn't make it so.

But we're not talking about Bo's agent, or ADs of other schools, or their apparatchiks, are we? We're talking about right here in Lincoln, people close to the program. Let's not pretend we're someone we're not.

And here is a problem - you are thinking one-sided as if people only have connections to one certain group of folks and all their info is obtained only through them.

I know of folks connected to Lincoln who are UNL boosters that obtained ALL of their info about Bo and his hiring going back to October of the year he was hired, all through LSU sources and Bo's agent.

People do have connections to the world outside of Lincoln, Nebraska. The pipeline of information doesn't begin and end there.

I think it's perfectly obvious that you care if you're believed or not, and get a certain level of pleasure in being the guy with the knowledge. If not, why would you have ever insinuated that you had inside knowledge, and that you should be believed?

Again, it's not unreasonable to ask why you should be believed implicitly. Nothing you're saying deflects from that.

If I need to act arrogant, I will - but I have at least somewhat of a track record of being right much more often than I'm wrong, do I not?

Now, you are stating nothing more than your opinion. I am stating more than that. Which holds more weight in this situation, you and the opinion you are holding steadfastly to, or the information that is out there?

If you want to, in your own arrogant way, believe your opinion holds more weight than anything, by all means do so. But all I am saying, do not act like it is simply impossible for anyone to know what Bo has expressed to others. As I said, that is just silly.

There's nothing to get worked up over here. It's just the news trying to drive traffic to their paper/show/website.

Eh, would not say that.

Definitely do not think Bo will go, but interest is there.

Bo told you he's interested?

And here we go .. :facepalm:

But just to respond in a correct way - I don't think Bo is the only person around who knows his level of interest, especially when he talks to others about the situation. As crazy as it is, people do talk, and people do tell others. Crazy, eh?

Yep, here we go. Again.

And to expound on that - you're insinuating that Bo has expressed interest in this job to others, and that you, somehow know about it. That's a lot of belief to be expected out of people from an anonymous source. Crazy, eh?

A firm denial would do a lot to make this go away. He didn't do that. He said he doesn't respond to rumors but this story comes from a source and that can be taken as a rumor but he should deny it if this isn't true. He wants to listen to offer that is fine, just say what you are doing.

His ability to deal with the media needs a lot of work.

no it wouldn't. Today's coaches are fickle. How many times have we seen coaches saying they are not leaving only to leave? I would like to think that Bo wouldn't leave a storied program like Nebraska for a newcomer like Florida. You never know until the announcement.

According to Athlon Sports Football Preview Top Coaching Jobs:

1. Texas

2. USC

3. Florida

Any idea when this list was made? I have a VERY hard time believing the USC gig is better than Florida with their NCAA penalties in place. USC was pretty much irrelevant from the time OJ graduated until they hired Carroll, and you have to wonder strongly whether they'll devolve back to irrelevance now that Carroll is gone.

1. Texas

2. USC

3. Florida

Any idea when this list was made? I have a VERY hard time believing the USC gig is better than Florida with their NCAA penalties in place. USC was pretty much irrelevant from the time OJ graduated until they hired Carroll, and you have to wonder strongly whether they'll devolve back to irrelevance now that Carroll is gone.

Especially when LA gets an NFL team in there again

USC practically named their recruiting class for a few years. It was really just ridiculous. Kind of like what Texas has done lately. They'd have camps, they'd pick 21 kids to offer and 20 will commit. May not still be the case, but Cal is still prime area for recruiting and that's the type of program that can't be down forever. Then again, you wonder why UCLA isn't better. The penalties are not a big deal - they'll be gone and done with in a few years. Two really, once the bowl ban is done, as the cut scholarships can be managed, to an extent. And any coach will get some slack while that's still in place.

I'm not inexperienced with contract negotiations. You may like to pretend that they are held publicly, but they aren't, and pretending doesn't make it so.

But we're not talking about Bo's agent, or ADs of other schools, or their apparatchiks, are we? We're talking about right here in Lincoln, people close to the program. Let's not pretend we're someone we're not.

And here is a problem - you are thinking one-sided as if people only have connections to one certain group of folks and all their info is obtained only through them.

I know of folks connected to Lincoln who are UNL boosters that obtained ALL of their info about Bo and his hiring going back to October of the year he was hired, all through LSU sources and Bo's agent.

People do have connections to the world outside of Lincoln, Nebraska. The pipeline of information doesn't begin and end there.

I think you forget that as Mods, we know where you're posting from.

I think it's perfectly obvious that you care if you're believed or not, and get a certain level of pleasure in being the guy with the knowledge. If not, why would you have ever insinuated that you had inside knowledge, and that you should be believed?

Again, it's not unreasonable to ask why you should be believed implicitly. Nothing you're saying deflects from that.

If I need to act arrogant, I will - but I have at least somewhat of a track record of being right much more often than I'm wrong, do I not?

Now, you are stating nothing more than your opinion. I am stating more than that. Which holds more weight in this situation, you and the opinion you are holding steadfastly to, or the information that is out there?

If you want to, in your own arrogant way, believe your opinion holds more weight than anything, by all means do so. But all I am saying, do not act like it is simply impossible for anyone to know what Bo has expressed to others. As I said, that is just silly.

The difference between what you're saying and what I'm saying is that I'm owning up to the fact that this is just my opinion. I haven't claimed that some inside source is divulging anything to me, whereas that's the entire basis for your argument. Everyone in this thread is different from you, Willie, in that we're all discussing this based on the info we've gleaned from some news source. You're the only one whose starting point is, "I know more than you." That alone puts your posts under a greater microscope than others'.

Feel free to act as arrogant as you like. Bottom line is, unless you tie that arrogance to some foundation, it's baseless. You either won't or can't divulge who you are or what your source is, and without that source, your arrogance is just... arrogance. And rather childish.

I will continue to believe the facts in front of my face, rather than unfounded rumors. And I have zero problem with that.

1. Texas

2. USC

3. Florida

It was in the Athlon Sports Big XII Preview, so I would say around May 2010. USC Sanctions were beginning of June.

I dismiss this as an arrogant Miami program that remains stuck in the early 2000's when actually meant something too someone.

I really don't see Bo taking this job, it's a step down from his current position.

Miami is going too find out in this process the worth of their program and then turn around and wish they hadn't fired shannon.

Actually, the Miami job is pretty good. Miami made a huge mistake by hiring Shannon in the first place. It was not a mistake to fire him. Their biggest misake was firing Coker who was a better recruiter and coach. Coker left the cupboard stocked with talent. According to Rivals, here's the talent Coker left Shannon: 2002-#8, 2003-#5, 2004-#4, and 2005-#7. He left him with recruiting classes all ranked in the top 10. How did Shannon fair with this talent? He never finished in the top 20 in four years, and he never played for a conference championship. Coker's worst year at Miami was nearly equal to Shannon's best year at Miami. Unfortunately, Shannon didn't leave the cupboard nearly as full as Coker left him. Most of his recruiting classes were ranked 15-20.