Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

Haha, it's just shorthand for "I agree", as opposed to "I have repped your post positively". At least for me. I'm not that crazy either way about the reps system. I figure as long as I get the point across, it doesn't matter too much. I'll also rep+1 when I agree but don't feel like making a post. I don't think I usually do both though, more of an either or. I don't even know, not too consistent about it.

In any case, Fowler has been repped now to fix this :) By both of us, I see!

Agree about the Rep system. It's OK. But I could easily live without it.

No rumor. Just confirmed on Sportscenter that Pelini is the prime target for Miami and Nebraska gave him permission to pursue job.

Then it should be on espn.com

link please.

Channel 31 SD, Check your local listing for HD channel.

Just so we're all on the same page, Fowler notes that:

relax people sportcenter is just quoteing the Miami Hearld, the same article that started this. Bob stoops comes up for every job...including the newly opened Florida position. Get used to it. When you have a good coach everyones going to come after him. Nothing to see here.

So SportsCenter's story isn't "confirmation," it's just a rehash of the Miami Herald story. Without seeing it, I'd guess they prefaced the piece with the phrase, "The Miami Herald is reporting..."

I'm skeptical of the rumor. Bo gets to be a part of the conference he grew up in and so dearly loves, starting next year, and I believe that Dr. Tom will give Bo anything he wants in the way of support and the freedom to make key decisions where he needs to, to find success. Of course it's got to be one helluva compliment to be getting such rumors and attention from the Canes camp.

Seriously? Have you seen the forclosure rates in Florida. I think for 5 million a year the "cost of living" thing doesn't really matter much to Bo. I have heard that the Miami salary would not be all that high though. Mandel mentioned it as a possible road block to getting a guy like Leach. Doesn't mean it's true or not.

2. Even if Miami doubled his salary, it would be the same when you factor in cost of living.

Do you know him personally? Year round Bacci wouldn't be a very rough life.

3. He's a midwestern guy. Born and bred. He would not be comfortable at all somewhere like Miami. It's a freakshow down there.

Where have you been the last 4-5 years? I don't have numbers to back this one up because I'm too lazy...but I'd bet in the last couple of years Nebraska has had more off-field issues than Miami. If there was one thing Shannon did a hell of a job of, it was graduating men. It's certainly not a glaring problem like at Florida.

4. The "Thug" factor. Coaching at Miami is more trouble than it's worth. Too many idiot players and too much trouble for them to get into in Miami.

I think you are understating the fact that there are 400 division 1 prospects within 250 miles. It's a goldmine down there.

And it might be a tad easier to recruit there.

If that's not Bo, then he should go there...because he lives far more in the spotlight at Nebraska than he would there.

Other than that, it's a job for a guy who wants to be in the spotlight. That's not Bo.

Sorry, there are a lot of reasons NOT to go Miami...but your 2 cents didn't include many of them.

No rumor. Just confirmed on Sportscenter that Pelini is the prime target for Miami and Nebraska gave him permission to pursue job.

link please.

Just so we're all on the same page, Fowler notes that:

relax people sportcenter is just quoteing the Miami Hearld, the same article that started this. Bob stoops comes up for every job...including the newly opened Florida position. Get used to it. When you have a good coach everyones going to come after him. Nothing to see here.

So SportsCenter's story isn't "confirmation," it's just a rehash of the Miami Herald story. Without seeing it, I'd guess they prefaced the piece with the phrase, "The Miami Herald is reporting..."

I dont think they would report it if they didn't have some sort of confirmation. Basically it just said Miami has its eyes set on Nebraska coach Bo Pelini and Nebraska has given Pelini to pursue the job. Didn't say anything about the Miami Herald.

link please.

735 for me

so far i have just seen it scroll accross the bottom. It says:

Miami(FL) plans to speak to Nebraska coach Bo Pelini about head coach position, Miami Hearld reports. Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, Connecticut coach Randy Edsall, and Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville have been contacted by Miami (FL).

Atleast it doesnt say has been contacted like the rest of the coaches; meaning they know for sure. So they are just getting it from the MH article, no other sources that i have seen yet.

link please.

735 for me

so far i have just seen it scroll accross the bottom. It says:

Miami(FL) plans to speak to Nebraska coach Bo Pelini about head coach position, Miami Hearld reports. Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, Connecticut coach Randy Edsall, and Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville have been contacted by Miami (FL).

Atleast it doesnt say has been contacted like the rest of the coaches; meaning they know for sure. So they are just getting it from the MH article, no other sources that i have seen yet.

They talked about it to open the show and they are about to talk about it again shortly.

If it makes anyone feel better, David Ubben (also from ESPN) refenced the Journal Star and said Osborne and Pelini debunked Miami rumors. ESPN is just referencing newspaper articles.

FWIW, the Miami Herald article also says that Nebraska played Clemson in last year's bowl game. Not a lot of research done!

now it has the little side bar summary thingy coming up that says: Pelini to the Canes?...so well see if there is anything other then what this "unnamed source" has said. Im personally happy to have a coach that other major programs want. We must be doing something right. All we can do is hope he is happy and wants to stay in the midwest, because his name is going to come up more and more the better we get. We arent Cinci or Utah or Miss St. We are Nebraska, a major college football program, an elite job, hes not going anywhere. If he was from Miami i would be worried.

I dont think they would report it if they didn't have some sort of confirmation.

Wow, does somebody have a lot to learn about how ESPN works! :laughpound

I guess I do. Please enlighten me

There's a question mark next to the line "Pelini to the Canes" right? That means it's a rumor, unconfirmed, and/or they're citing other sources.

Think about what we know. Miami fires their coach, and logically will be looking for a replacement. We know, from when Solich and Callahan were fired, that when reporters need to sell papers or drive traffic to their site, they just toss out a bunch of names of current "hot" coaches. This invigorates the locals and keeps them coming to the paper for news. The funniest part is, this whole thing is based on "unnamed sources" from the Miami Herald, and people buy into it, despite the fact that Tom Osborne has debunked it.

ESPN has the same needs for viewers, and uses the same tactics. By running that teaser (and that's all it is), they'll keep you glued to your set the whole time that thing stays up there.

Ask yourself this - how many commercial breaks have you had to sit through waiting for that Pelini blurb to come up for discussion? One? Two? Three? They're making money every time you sit through one of those, and all they have to do is cite a paper's report which was based on "unnamed sources."

Unnamed sources could be that reporter's paperclip tray. Think about it.