Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

I didn't know we had a spoiler tag...neat.

Hocutt also plans to speak with Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, who was granted permission by Nebraska to pursue the job. According to another source, Pelini has shown mixed signals, at some points expressing interest and at other points conveying reservations.

I think there's more stuff from our 'rumor mills' to the contrary of this, for what that's worth. Why would Bo want to leave this place already, for a place like that?

what if its because he doesnt have as much control over the program as he would like or some think he has? he was a young guy handed the reigns to his first coaching gig by a legend who rode in to save the day. what if the holdover of shawn watson, the bringing in of some other staff that wasnt really his choice and maybe he feels like he cant change it?

its utter blasphemy to some im sure. but I dont know many athletic directors that are standing out side the locker room after the game holding a stat sheet discussing things with their offensive coordinator. maybe its too much for Bo.

i dont know if this carries any weight, but it makes sense in my head.

Fuel to the fire that I looked up...

There are some strong ties from our staff to Miami's AD Kirby Hocutt

Kirby Hocutt played for K-State while Carl Pelini was a GA, and Mike Ekeler was a fellow linebacker for Snyder

Kirby Hocutt was the associate AD at OU while Pelini was DC

Kirby Hocutt was the AD at Ohio while Carl Pelini was the d-line coach.

If Pelini interviews for the job, it would be the equivalent of him sharpening the knife to stab in the back.

He shouldn't even WANT to be interviewed for the job.

I've never agreed with this kind of sentiment. We aren't loyal to him at all. 1 6-6 season and people will be calling for his head. Some already are and we'll probably win 11 this year.

Anytime a good job opens up, in any field, for any person, they should check it out.

Yeah, coaches often get a pass for year 1. So long as year 2 is good. But any year after year 1, it's the FIRST bad season that will turn a good chunk of people against you. And not many really get a chance after that.

Sometimes it is merited of course, but more than anything I think it speaks to the fickleness of fanbases.

Todd, that isn't really blasphemy, but at the same time I think it's speculative if anything is there or not. I also don't think Bo has had a problem with Watson being a holdover. I think a Bo->Wats rift is more imagined, and Watson has done what Bo has asked of him. I don't know, I always got the feeling Bo liked Wats.

If Pelini interviews for the job, it would be the equivalent of him sharpening the knife to stab in the back.

I've never agreed with this kind of sentiment. We aren't loyal to him at all. 1 6-6 season and people will be calling for his head. Some already are and we'll probably win 11 this year.

Anytime a good job opens up, in any field, for any person, they should check it out.

I wouldn't consider Miami a better job than Nebraska.Is Miami a good job? Of course with the tradition, championships, recruiting resources, etc. I certainly don't think Bo would be gaining anything by going to Miami. Maybe I need to take my rose-colored glasses off...

Fuel to the fire that I looked up...

There are some strong ties from our staff to Miami's AD Kirby Hocutt

Kirby Hocutt played for K-State while Carl Pelini was a GA, and Mike Ekeler was a fellow linebacker for Snyder

Kirby Hocutt was the associate AD at OU while Pelini was DC

Kirby Hocutt was the AD at Ohio while Carl Pelini was the o-line coach.

Certainly would explain why they would look at Bo.

68 people reading this thread. I bet it keeps growing over the next few hours.

And about a dozen threads asking who our next head coach will be...

Turner Gill, obviously :facepalm:

Don't really want to get into this debate, but I would guess he wouldn't just be a shoe in. We would prob. interview some good candidates.

My thoughts:

Total control of a program, top to bottom. It would truly be his. Jimmy Johnson or whoever isnt coming back to look over his shoulder at Miami. The Miami football program is far more separate from the entire identity of a school and a state than Nebraska is. They actually want it that way, considering their thug past.

Could also be like when you get married. Bo's at that point where he's either in it for the long freakin haul with Nebraska, or he's going to be the guy that is always looking, wondering.

-This is his first look. let him have it, see how it feels.

One last highly unsettling thought I had, what if its because Ohio State is his end goal job. Nebraska moving to the big ten, intra-conference coaching moves being considered taboo or even frankly contractually denied....

I wouldn't consider Miami a better job than Nebraska.Is Miami a good job? Of course with the tradition, championships, recruiting resources, etc. I certainly don't think Bo would be gaining anything by going to Miami. Maybe I need to take my rose-colored glasses off...

I don't know that I'd consider it a better job but it isn't worse. Of the three things you mention (tradition, championships, recruiting resources) NU had only 2 when Bo took the job.

I think I would rather live in Miami than Lincoln but that doesn't mean Bo would.

I also think it is way too ealry to think this is anything more than exploratory. And if he is looking around Florida will be very tempting.

This from the Lincoln star:

Nebraska head football coach Bo Pelini declined to discuss in any detail a report that he's received permission from NU to speak with Miami about the school's head coaching vacancy.

Citing an anonymous source, the Miami Herald reported Wednesday night that Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt plans to speak with Pelini.

"I don't address rumor and innuendo," said Pelini, adding that he plans to be on the road recruiting for Nebraska on Thursday.

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne was surprised Wednesday night upon hearing about the Herald's report.

"Bo's never talked to me about anything like that," Osborne said. "If he got permission (to talk to Miami), he didn't get it from me."

Pelini said he didn't seek such permission from anyone.

Among the coaches who reportedly have spoken to Miami about the job are Mississippi State's Dan Mullen, Connecticut's Randy Edsall and Texas Tech's Tommy Tuberville.

Pelini has a relationship with Hocutt that dates to 2004, when Hocutt was an associate athletic director at Oklahoma and Pelini was the Sooners' co-defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach. In addition, Hocutt played linebacker at Kansas State when Carl Pelini was a graduate assistant at the school in the early 1990s.

Pelini's NU teams have gone 9-4, 10-4 and 10-3. He's regarded as one of the nation's brightest defensive minds.

Nebraska is set to play Washington in the Dec. 30 Holiday Bowl.