Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

And here is another problem - if, as you said, believe no 'rumors' and you believe all of what I post is 'rumor', then why are you even directly responding to me at all? By you continuing this conversation, and even addressing me numerous times in he past, you put credence in what I have said.

Now suddenly, it is dismissed? A bit hypocritical, eh?

If you don't believe me or any 'rumor', perfectly fine. We will agree to disagree and move on.

I think I've stated several times that I get a lot of enjoyment debunking myths and rumors. Discussing what you say neither proves nor disproves anything, it's just a discussion, and as I've noted in recent threads, I've often found you to be more credible than Bo. But not always. ;)

I'm not dismissing anything you're saying. Taking the statements you put forth and discussing them is all I've ever been interested in. It's when you puffed up with, "I'm me, believe me" stuff that I logically ask, "And who are you that we should believe you?" which, you must admit, is a fair question. Rather than answer that you get defensive, and here we are. Again.

I recognize that you're in an uncomfortable position in that you (I'm willing to believe, based on past truths) have greater access than most to the team, and that you can't disclose that source. But you have to recognize the position that puts the rest of the members in as well, especially when we're discussing rumors for which there is no factual basis. More understanding and less defensiveness is the best choice, I would assert. Do you not agree?

:snacks:

Magic Eight ball or I bleed red?

It was just pointed out on the raido, Schick just read Bo's contract. Section 10 states that Bo CANNOT speak directly or indirectly to ANYONE about a coaching vacancy WITHOUT the permission of the Athletic Director. aka Tom Osborne. Osborne denied giving ANYONE permission to speak to Bo....so.....Put the Miami rumors to bed. GOOD NIGHT! :horns2

I had to pull out my own copy of Bo Contract to verify....

Section 10. Discussion of Other Prospective Employment; Resignation.

(a) Unless notice of termination of employment has been given to Coach in accordance with Sections 13 or 14 of this contract, Coach shall not engage in discussions or negotiate, directly or indirectly, concerning Coach's prospective employment by any other employer without first notifying the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics of such discussions or negotiations.

It also goes on to say if termination is done before Dec 31st 2010-$500,000 is owed to the University. After that date $250,000.

Not to be critical, but if you were going to leave why would you worry about breaking a rule in your contract? It also states that Bo cannot speak directly or indirectly, but it doesn't say a word about Bo's agent.

Easy. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Typically, the school hiring the coach ponies up the money owed to the school they stole him/her from.

It was just pointed out on the raido, Schick just read Bo's contract. Section 10 states that Bo CANNOT speak directly or indirectly to ANYONE about a coaching vacancy WITHOUT the permission of the Athletic Director. aka Tom Osborne. Osborne denied giving ANYONE permission to speak to Bo....so.....Put the Miami rumors to bed. GOOD NIGHT! :horns2

(a) Unless notice of termination of employment has been given to Coach in accordance with Sections 13 or 14 of this contract, Coach shall not engage in discussions or negotiate, directly or indirectly, concerning Coach's prospective employment by any other employer without first notifying the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics of such discussions or negotiations.

It also goes on to say if termination is done before Dec 31st 2010-$500,000 is owed to the University. After that date $250,000.

Pocket change when you're considering the contract w/ Miami would probably be for 17-20 million + over 4 or 5 years.

Sounds sort of like a buyout. Does it also say, the school cannot fire him before so-and-so time, our $_______ will be owed?

It's not like these are laws.

1. In Miami football circles, there's word that a "mystery candidate" has emerged. Maybe it's Bo Pelini, the Nebraska coach. He was Oklahoma's defensive coordinator at the time Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt was an associate athletic director at Oklahoma.

Pelini has gone 9-4, 10-4 and 10-3 at Nebraska and might be thinking that's as good as he can get there. He's a proven coach who has taken a decent program to a certain level like Jimmy Johnson did at Oklahoma State or Dennis Erickson did at Washington State.

With the Florida job opening up, Miami might have lost whatever chance it had for Mississippi State's Dan Mullen. I wrote a column today comparing the two jobs, saying while Florida has an advantage on almost everything - money, facilities, resources, game atmosphere - that the Miami coach can step in and win more easily.

Pelini might have developed strained relations with Nebraska this year when school officials admonished him for his sideline tirade against quarterback Taylor Matinez during a loss at Texas A&M.

Pelini told the Omaha World-Herald that he refused to, "respond to rumors and innuendoes" when asked about receiving permission to talk to Miami. That's the classic end-around, the non-denial denial.

Translation: He's talking with Miami. He also has the most to lose of any candidate by this news coming public and so must be considered the front-runner.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2010/12/_1_in_miami_football.html

Sounds sort of like a buyout. Does it also say, the school cannot fire him before so-and-so time, our $_______ will be owed?

Isn't that the point of the contract, they can't fire him at all without paying out the contract. Every contract I've ever worked under specifically said if I were fired without cause the full payment must be made within X days. Unfortunately employers always claim cause, and then it's on the employee to litigate (see Leach). If there is cause, usually a negotiation is made to prevent litigation (see Mangino).

Section 14 throws out a lot of numbers that are based on hhis next employment. If he makes under a certain amount, the university will pay so much per month to compensate.

Isn't that the point of the contract, they can't fire him at all without paying out the contract. Every contract I've ever worked under specifically said if I were fired without cause the full payment must be made within X days. Unfortunately employers always claim cause, and then it's on the employee to litigate (see Leach). If there is cause, usually a negotiation is made to prevent litigation (see Mangino).

Kinda my point here. It doesn't matter if Bo's contract says he can't seek permission if all he does is swallow up some fines. That's general commentary and not specific to this situation though. EDIT - Did not see your post above mine that said pocket change. I agree.

Doing some pure reading between the lines, it seems as if he has not been granted permission to speak to them, but is content to let the speculation continue.