Braylon Heard Article

Heard's next big test — hurdling the ACT

Published: Tue, December 7, 2010 @ 12:05 a.m.

YOUNGSTOWN

On Saturday, Braylon Heard will walk into Campbell Memorial High School to take the ACT for the last time, a four-hour test that will decide the next two years of his life, and possibly more.

If he scores an 18, he'll enroll at Nebraska in January with a scholarship — and a spot on the football team — in hand.

If he doesn't — his best score so far is a 17.25 — he'll spend the next two years at a junior college.

It's a big moment for Heard, an electrifying running back who led Cardinal Mooney to the Division III state championship in 2009 but has spent this fall away from the sidelines.

"It's been really frustrating," Heard said. "Every time I watch a football game, it just kills me.

"I'm just trying to keep working and stay positive."

Heard has spent this fall in Youngstown, balancing sessions with an academic tutors, a personal trainer and a part-time job at Great Harvest Bread Company. He's stayed in close contact with coaches at Mooney, working out at the school while also attending games over the past few months.

The NCAA determines eligibility based on a combination of ACT or SAT scores and grade point average in 16 core courses such as English, math and science. Because Heard graduated with just under a 2.4 GPA, he needs a total score of 72 on the ACT. His previous-best total was 69.

And while Heard is best known for his speed on the field, it's that same trait that gives him fits on test day.

"Yeah, that's been the main thing, my time," he said. "I just take my time and then toward the end [of each session], I still have 15 questions and I only have five minutes to answer them.

"I'm working on that. I'm feeling real comfortable [after the tutoring] and I feel like I'll get it this time."

If Heard fails to get the qualifying score, he'll be required to earn his two-year degree at a junior college in order to gain eligibility at Nebraska, Mooney assistant coach Chris Amill said.

Heard would redshirt the first season to work on academics, then play the second season. If all goes well, he would enroll at Nebraska for the 2013 spring semester with three years of eligibility remaining.

The choice of a junior college has become more common in recent years as NCAA eligibility standards become more stringent. Some ineligible players opt to spend a graduate year at a military school, a choice taken by former Penn State QB Daryll Clark, an Ursuline High graduate, in 2004.

It's also the route taken by Liberty High graduate Antonio Kinard, a Michigan recruit, who enrolled at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., and Hubbard High graduate Andre Givens, who attended Milford (N.Y.) Academy after signing with Pitt.

Like a lot of high school students, Heard's biggest struggles came early in his academic career. He dug himself a hole his first two years at Mooney, then spent the next two digging himself out.

"He's one of those cases where, you come in as a freshman and don't take a lot of stuff serious," said Amill, who first coached Heard when he was a 6-year-old for the New Bethel Braves. "In his case, if he had buckled down and got an A on one of his classes instead of a D, his ACT score would be perfect and he wouldn't be in this situation."

While Heard's situation isn't ideal, time is still on his side. And Amill has been impressed by Heard's commitment and work ethic this fall.

"He really has his mind set on Nebraska and he's willing to do whatever it takes to get there," Amill said. "He's really staying on top of things."

Link: http://www.vindy.com...212-hurdling-t/

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

• Fire 1

I'm fascinated that they would even devote an article about Braylon's academic struggles with the outcome being undecided at the moment. I don't mean that as a bad thing either. I've come across a few blurbs which plainly stated something to the effect of "so and so will not be attending such and such school due to academics" and that's it.

Having said that, best of luck, Braylon. I hope you make it. If not, then go the JUCO route and take care of business. You still have a bright future ahead of you, regardless if it's at NU or somewhere else. Whatever you do, don't let your talent go to waste.

That was a good article, and thanks for sharing.

One thing I didnt quite understand. Why enroll in JUCO this January? Couldn't Braylon continue attempting to get the ACT score he needs and enroll at NU in June or August? He could feel like just getting on with it. It has got to be quite stressfull, and I wouldn't blame him if he just wanted it to be over with. Just wondering if he could get his score this spring and enroll in the fall or if he had to go JUCO to gain elligibility.