Big Ten Division Name Change

Using names like "Plains" or "Heartland" might have negative connotations with recruits. I say use Big 10 West and Big 10 East, who cares if they don't make complete sense. The West Division has the westernmost team and the East Division has the easternmost team.

I really don't think that recruits care what the division names are going to be. If they're willing to play for a team nicknamed the "Cornhuskers," then I'm guessing they'll be ok with playing in the Plains or Lakes division of the Big 10.

• Fire 2

Using names like "Plains" or "Heartland" might have negative connotations with recruits. I say use Big 10 West and Big 10 East, who cares if they don't make complete sense. The West Division has the westernmost team and the East Division has the easternmost team.

I really don't think that recruits care what the division names are going to be. If they're willing to play for a team nicknamed the "Cornhuskers," then I'm guessing they'll be ok with playing in the Plains or Lakes division of the Big 10.

Maybe, but you might be surprised. Most of the kids from the South don't want to leave the warm weather as it is, anything that brings up connotations of bad weather or boring scenery won't help.

Seriously though, this is what I thought is should have been to begin with:

Gridiron / Pigskin

I like this!!!! But do the divisions only apply to football. Would their be division splits in basketball(doesnt SEC do this?) or baseball???? if not then I guess this couldnt work.

They do play baseball in Big 10 dont they. You never hear about any of their baseball teams.

You should email Delany your suggestion!!

Why not something along the lines of Legends and Icons, allowing them to keep at least one of the names. i dont have a problem with the Legends name, and it follows the overall theme they are trying to set and it also accomplishes being distinct. The leaders name i just dont get. What is that supposed to even mean. I also think all the names for the awards are alright too, using legendary names for the trophys, something just needs to be done about the leaders thing.

• Fire 1

Northwest and Southeast Divisions.

A conference with 12 teams being called the Big 10 should have no problem with one team (Wisconsin) being out of place.

Switch Northwestern and Wisconsin. Then Northwestern would be in the Southeast Division.

How about the "4 feet of lake effect snow" and "-20 wind chill" divisions?

I think the most I've heard is that people are "OK" with it. If the highest approval you get from people is "it's OK," and drops down to "I utterly hate it" from there, you've got a problem. It's good that Delany is willing to listen, because man, they've got a problem.

Go directional, name them after famous coaches, name them after regions - whatever. Just change the names.

I like the names! Initially I thought they sounded stupid. But then I started to read through all the threads and determined none of us rocket scientists could come up with anything better....so, now I lik'em. Then, I started thinking....their unique, and no other conference dares to name their divisions in such a prideful way, so maybe the names will grow on us. All the other conferences are so darn geographically named....why lump our conference in with all those other wannabees.

And Big Red fits perfectly in the Legends Division....we ARE a legendary program with legendary names and the best record in football over the past 50 years. I hope Delaney keeps the names....I think their cool!

Seriously.

If we're gonna ignore the fact that the Big TEN has 12 teams, then lets just go with the North and South divisions. Is that so hard?

Then what would you call it when Big 12 is taken and you know Beebe will use the excuse of adding two more teams in the future.

They need to go with the regions, Midwestern and Mid-Atlantic.

Yes. For all the talk of it not being geographical, throw up a map of the states (as miami did in a previous thread) and it's pretty strikingly not randomly distributed across the map. Ah, here's a map, from HI. Non geographic split? C'mon, Big Ten guys...did you even look at the map first?!

bigten.jpg

The divisions were split up to be even. It didnt have anything to do with geographical layout

Seriously though, this is what I thought is should have been to begin with:

Gridiron / Pigskin

I like this!!!! But do the divisions only apply to football. Would their be division splits in basketball(doesnt SEC do this?) or baseball???? if not then I guess this couldnt work.

They do play baseball in Big 10 dont they. You never hear about any of their baseball teams.

You should email Delany your suggestion!!

Big ten baseball is awful. Usually only the conference champ makes it to regionals. Michigan got to the super regionals one year i guess