What Offense CAN we run?

Doesn't matter what "style" of offense NU decides to attempt to run as long as Barney Fife is running the OLine. Any style will look the same, a clusterf#$k. Until things are shored up in the offensive trenches, it won't matter. Hell NU could survive just fine keeping Wats as long as Barney Rubble isn't holding down the helm with the big uglies.

I don't think he is the right guy for the offense we run now, but I don't recall our 2003 Offensive line being so bad. I'm too lazy to look up stats though. Seems we're running a hybrid of option and the Corncoast right now. Maybe we just don't have the right combination of assistants/coordinator to be successful??

Lots of discussion about offense i was thinking, With the current players we have what do all the armchair OCs think we Can, not what we want, to run.

My thoughts.

1. Spread style. This takes a good descision maker, quick thinker, defense reader etc at Qb. Also have to have a QB who is a true dual threat Runner/passer. Not thinkin TM , or CG is our guy, maybe one of the new guys. Also need solid receivers, not sure who they would be.

2. Option. I think TM might actually do well in this style, but he would get hit a lot and dont know if he could take that all season.CG could probably run it but not to his strengths.Again maybe a new guy could? Dont think the receivers/and O line are up to it either.

3. West coast/pro style. I actually somewhat enjoyed this style, Zach Taylor was pretty good at picking apart defenses, moving down the field, and scoring in a hurry. loved the fade route in the end zone to Purify too. Unless an act of God takes place, and Bubba actually shows up, i dont see any of our QBs running that style. Also need quite a few more good receivers, and different type of O linemen to run this.

4. Smashmouth style. With Burkhead, and Robinson here and 2 more 4 star RBs coming in, i could see this working. Any of our QBs would fit, and if one went down the wheels wouldnt come off. O line might be better concentrating on pancaking the guy in from of them. Control the clock and beat em down in the 4th quarter.

Im sure there are more styles, or combinations thereof, than what i said, just thinking about the offensive identity we all want.Really would be better to run what we CAN more than what we want. I would say 1 or 4 is our best option.

1st QB Sneak

2nd QB Sneak

3rd QB Sneak

4th Punt(if we didn't manage to fumble on one of the 3 previous plays)

just my opinion. it doesnt matter what "style" NU runs. as long as they are GREAT at it. not good, GREAT. and keep it as the core of the offense. this trying to be multiple garbage has failed. Bo needs to find out what his boys on offense are very good at, on a consistent basis, and bridge off of that. NU this year did not excel at running or passing this year vs top teams. crappy teams dont count. that is where this team needs to start. it needs a core, an identity on offense. until then, the blame game will continue. :throwdabones1:

It is sad to say Nebraska has relied too heavily on the run. I love the run game but teams will load up the box, force us in second or third and long, obvious passing downs and in this situation we become abysmal. Why! Two main reasons. 1) Quality of recievers 2) Ability of quarterback to complete the pass in big games or sometimes, ever. Yes you can start throwing big stats and names at me or put the higher blame on coaching but the fact remains in almost all cases our passing game succeeds only when our run game does. I realize our run sets up the pass but it shouldn't be almost reliant on it to succeed. Too one dimensional!

We need our passing yardage to be between 35 to 40 percent of our offense and efficient to balance our offense.

I know with the huskers tradition and coaching staff that our defense and running game will be solid. Simply we are too predictable in what we can execute against tougher competition so we get exploited. Just about any run oriented offense would be ok if we could pass effectively enough.

If we ever get some really good recievers and a good pass/run quarterback and a coach to get that part of our offense to click we could be more like Alabama's offense, mainly a run first but can pass well. It seems getting some quality rec. recruits that are fast and good hands and blocking skills and a QB that can pass ok is asking too much. I see that the national power houses like Ala, OSU, Okl. LSU, Tex, USC,and yes even Auburn and Oregon all get top notch receivers even thou most are run oriented first. We just need to amp up our focus in the passing department and maintain our defense and run game and we are there. Ok maybe throw in a good offensive play caller that can manage the game and its done! GBR

No disrespect to some of our greats ala,. Fryar, Rodgers, Peterson, Swift etc. a lot were wingbacks and not true WR's.

Doesn't matter what "style" of offense NU decides to attempt to run as long as Barney Fife is running the OLine. Any style will look the same, a clusterf#$k. Until things are shored up in the offensive trenches, it won't matter. Hell NU could survive just fine keeping Wats as long as Barney Rubble isn't holding down the helm with the big uglies.

I don't think he is the right guy for the offense we run now, but I don't recall our 2003 Offensive line being so bad. I'm too lazy to look up stats though. Seems we're running a hybrid of option and the Corncoast right now. Maybe we just don't have the right combination of assistants/coordinator to be successful??

The reason you probably don't recall it is because he was our OC rather than our OL coach in 2003. PaulCrewe in a much more comical way hit the nail right square on the head. Unfortunately, Watson was saddled with Cotton and we're reaping the rewards. Anyone remember how disappointed they were with a defensive lineman named Suh prior to the 2008 season? Suh is a great example of poor coaching versus good coaching.

The reason you probably don't recall it is because he was our OC rather than our OL coach in 2003. PaulCrewe in a much more comical way hit the nail right square on the head. Unfortunately, Watson was saddled with Cotton and we're reaping the rewards. Anyone remember how disappointed they were with a defensive lineman named Suh prior to the 2008 season? Suh is a great example of poor coaching versus good coaching.

I have thought that about Suh myself. Can you imagine if he would have been coached by Cosgrove for 2 more years? Would have been very detrimental to his career.He knew it too, he was on the verge of transferring to Oregon State before Pellini was hired.

Bingo.

There's no synergy between them as they all come from different offensive schemes. Even worse we keep changing it and none of them really know what they're doing. We need our new OC to have authority to put his own staff together.

Lots of discussion about offense i was thinking, With the current players we have what do all the armchair OCs think we Can, not what we want, to run.

My thoughts.

1. Spread style. This takes a good descision maker, quick thinker, defense reader etc at Qb. Also have to have a QB who is a true dual threat Runner/passer. Not thinkin TM , or CG is our guy, maybe one of the new guys. Also need solid receivers, not sure who they would be.

2. Option. I think TM might actually do well in this style, but he would get hit a lot and dont know if he could take that all season.CG could probably run it but not to his strengths.Again maybe a new guy could? Dont think the receivers/and O line are up to it either.

3. West coast/pro style. I actually somewhat enjoyed this style, Zach Taylor was pretty good at picking apart defenses, moving down the field, and scoring in a hurry. loved the fade route in the end zone to Purify too. Unless an act of God takes place, and Bubba actually shows up, i dont see any of our QBs running that style. Also need quite a few more good receivers, and different type of O linemen to run this.

4. Smashmouth style. With Burkhead, and Robinson here and 2 more 4 star RBs coming in, i could see this working. Any of our QBs would fit, and if one went down the wheels wouldnt come off. O line might be better concentrating on pancaking the guy in from of them. Control the clock and beat em down in the 4th quarter.

Im sure there are more styles, or combinations thereof, than what i said, just thinking about the offensive identity we all want.Really would be better to run what we CAN more than what we want. I would say 1 or 4 is our best option.

the only offense that worked against a good team was REXCAT