***Official Cocktails, Mixology, and alcohol thread

I'll start with a few things.

For my birthday, I received a bottle of Aberlour 12 year single malt Highland Scotch. Needless to say, it's excellent. To get the great scotchy flavors and aromas, a few drops (yes drops) of water really bring out the flavor. It's got a unique taste that I identify as "appley" which is ironic because after tasting it I found the attributes on the side of the canister it came in listing red apples as one of the flavor notes. With my extremely limited experience, I still venture to grade it as an A.

I also discovered last night that I'm a bog fan of the martini. I had a Beefeater martini (with M&R vermouth) in a 3:1 ratio. It was a little over stirred, and sadly a tad watered. But I went out today and bought some Plymouth gin. I'm excited to experiment with gin to vermouth ratios to see what I like the most.

Any other martini fans with advice?

uh....shaken, not stirred?

im a wannabe beer maven. my mix drink repertoire is limited to jack and cokes. although, i have a knack for making awesome natural margaritas that will make you wonder why you ever ordered one blended or pre-mixed. the key is superfine sugar and, ahem, key limes. grand marnier never hurts as well.

Please todd, share anything you've got to say about anything that is beer. I always try new craft beers (or any new beer for that matter) when I get the chance.

I'm a dark beer fiend. There's the obvious, Guinness. I also love Oatmeal stout, Leinenkugel Fireside nut brown, and third stone brown ale. I think it's Lazlo's house brew

i was ecstatic to see leinies finally make it down to nebraska in a significant force. my sister lives in milwaukee and ive been a fan for years.

of what youve listed...you like dark but not bitter, sometimes slightly sweet and perhaps creamy with low alcohol content.

of course you can look right next to the guinness in the supermarket and see murphys irish stout and the like.

something readily available i think you'll like: newcastle. dont drink this ice cold, or even fridge cold for that matter. in fact, buy the six pack, bring it home, set it on the counter and drink it from there.

something you might have to dig a bit for but should find here in neb :

samuel smith: either the oatmeal stout (this might be what youre drinking?) or the imperial stout (which is gonna give you a bit more of a kick)

if you can find it you'll never drink guinness again: kilkenny...which is a stronger version of smithwicks (which ive seen in nebraska pretty prevalently, its a bit more hoppy or bitter) funny enough, theyre both made by the same brewery as guinness if i remember correctly.

personally, i find most of these beers (especially guinness and murphys and smithwicks) a bit watery and lacking a complex flavor. i have a thing for newcastle though. its just so easy to drink.

and a final, random ringer at most stores in nebby i think you'll like:

dos equis amber. NOT dos equis in the green bottle...dos equis amber. two entirely different beers.

i see a lot of amber beers in your future.

I like some Amber and Dark beers too. Dundee Honey Brown, Michelob Amber Bock (most of the Bock beers i tried were good IMO),Modelo Negro, New Castle Brown(Be careful, clear bottle makes it skunk easily!),Leinenkugels Creamy Dark, Fireside nut brown ETC. went on a mission to try new beers and made it through 50+. not a big Sam Adams fan , but S.A. Cherry Wheat is one of my favorite beers of any kind. Leinenkugels Berry Weiss, Spanish Peaks Honey Raspberry, and Blue Moon were some good fruity ones.Not a fan of Pale ale ,or any overly bitter beers. As i said avoid any beer in a clear or light colored bottle (especially imports) the get skunky fast.Dont go out a whole lot , but i would love to try some Micro brew beers at Old Chicago, Lazlos Etc.

I drink bourbon and beer. Usually not at the same time though. Unless I'm thirsty. For my taste in bourbon there’s not a huge correlation between price and taste. Some of the moderately priced bourbons taste better to me than more expensive stuff. I like Elijah Craig 12yr and Maker’s Mark. Also Jack Daniels#7 and George Dickel Black label are both great (but Jack and George are not really bourbons). A great cheap bourbon is Walker’s Deluxe. Irish whiskeys are good too. I like Jamison and Tullamore Dew. I also keep Kessler on hand, a decent cheap whiskey. I don’t care much for scotch, but will join in if nothing else is available.

I guess this thread is about mixology, not just booze. I mix ice cubes with my mine.

Has anyone been to that new Brix store in village pointe in Omaha? I checked it out yesterday, they've got quite the selection, especially if you're into wine. They've got a whole wall of craft beers and microbrews, and well priced liquors.

They had a sale on Maker's Mark for $19.99, if I wasn't fresh off of paying this semester's tuition I would have bought 100 bucks worth

I'm a big wine fan. I started out drinking heavy tannin-filled reds, but I've since switched my loyalty to whites. I like them dry, so mostly Sauvignon Blanc with the occasional Chardonnay thrown in for good measure. If I'm drinking reds it's still Cabernet, with some Merlot and some Shiraz.

If I'm drinking beer it's typically something pretty light. It's rare that I drink anything darker than an amber. I'm just not into the bitter beers. For "regular" drinking I buy MGD, but sometimes I'll get Lazlo's Chaco Canyon or Heineken.

I don’t do many mixed drinks. I make a pretty good Bloody Mary, but doesn't everyone? It's a pretty easy drink to mix. I dig Margaritas, too.

My favorite cocktail for the last 30 years is, hands down, an Old Fashioned.

How I do it:

Highball glass

1 sugar cube ( unbleached cane sugar if no cubes around)

3 dashes of bitters on top of the cube

small amount of bourbon and 'muddle' ( back of a teaspoon to smash the cube up)

After sugar is completely dissolved, add ice, and bourbon to almost the top of the glass.

Might add orange slice or cherry if they are around.

Bourbon choice now is Maker's Mark.

I like to kick back wearing my narrow tie, watching reruns of the old black and white "Outer Limits".

(Thanks Netflix)

Havent tried this yet but im going to. Sounds good!

Apple Pie (Bulk) Drink Recipe

Ingredients

* 1 qt. Everclear [ or Golden Grain or 180 Proof Vodka - all work well - just use

a middle shelf vodka] Amount is approx. “90% of a 5thâ€

* 1 gal. Apple Juice

* 1 gal. Cider, apple

* 6 -8 sticks Cinnamon Sticks [or cinnamon powder, or Hot Damn Liqueur]

* 1 cup white sugar, 2 cups brown sugar

Mixing Instructions

Mix apple juice, apple cider, sugar, and cinnamon sticks together while all are getting hot. Boil until cinnamon sticks lose flavor (they will unroll). Remove from heat, let cool. Add Everclear, and stir. Taste. Refrigerate. Add more Everclear if you want it stronger, more sugar if you want it sweeter, or even more cinnamon. Throw it in the fridge and drink when ever you want it.