Scott Frost

cerny50

Who was the young WR's coach who Devaney let call plays in the early 70s?

I'm not saying that Frost=TO, but to catch young coaches on the rise, don't you sometimes have to "take the risk" of promoting them to the next level of responsibility? Of all people, TO and Bo (circa 2003) should know this right?

I'm not saying that Frost=TO, but to catch young coaches on the rise, don't you sometimes have to "take the risk" of promoting them to the next level of responsibility? Of all people, TO and Bo (circa 2003) should know this right?

I'm not sure if it's the "calling plays" part of the OC job that would concern me, it's everything else. Politically, giving him the OC post wouldn't be the best move for the rest of the staff. This is different than 03' IMO. Beck would pissed no doubt. Who knows how some of the other guys w/ more experience would feel. Barney might be slightly ticked.

Also, there's a lot more that goes into being an OC than just calling plays. There's a ton of logistics work - coordinating staff, players, meetings, etc. The management aspect of it is something he has no experience doing.

For Frost's sake - bringing him in as an OC might not be in his best interest. There'd be a lot of pressure to perform, and a political firestorm to extinguish. He could be successful no doubt - I'm just not sure he would be as an OC for NU in 2011.

I'm not sure if it's the "calling plays" part of the OC job that would concern me, it's everything else. Politically, giving him the OC post wouldn't be the best move for the rest of the staff. This is different than 03' IMO. Beck would pissed no doubt. Who knows how some of the other guys w/ more experience would feel. Barney might be slightly ticked.

Also, there's a lot more that goes into being an OC than just calling plays. There's a ton of logistics work - coordinating staff, players, meetings, etc. The management aspect of it is something he has no experience doing.

For Frost's sake - bringing him in as an OC might not be in his best interest. There'd be a lot of pressure to perform, and a political firestorm to extinguish. He could be successful no doubt - I'm just not sure he would be as an OC for NU in 2011.

This is why you bring him in and give him the title Co-Offensive Coordinator. He would coach the recievers or QB's and he would call the plays. Beck would be promoted to Co-Offensive Coordinator as well. Maybe even give him an associate head coach title or something to stroke his ego. Then in a few years, assuming some success, Beck would possibly leave for a head coaching job somewhere. At this time Frost would become full time Offensive Coordinator. Then if Bo if/when leaves, he would be promoted to Head Coach. This isn't really hard to see happening and it is a fantastic scenario for everyone involved with Husker football. We get a Nebraska guy who knows Nebraska and will be around for a LONG time. No brainer if you ask me.

I see what you are saying: that the situation now is different from 2003 in the sense that (in the hypothetical situation most on here have been discussing) we would not be completely replacing our staff on that side of the ball. (Most want to keep Beck and Brown)

So the logic seems to be that if you aren't clearing out everybody then you have to promote from within, because no holdovers are going to like working under the new guy. That makes sense (even though I don't think Brown would mind as much as Beck would).

And from what I've read on here (maybe those in the know could clarify), the Beck situation might be even more complicated because of some promises Bo made him along the way--which could render any "Frost as OC" conversation completely moot. (But since it's the off-season...)

If this is what it came down to, would you rather keep Beck or bring in Frost? I am not anti-Beck, even though it is hard to completely exonerate him from the last few years' craptastic O's. Nor am I Frost's cousin/uncle/aquarium dude/etc. Just throwing it out there as something to talk about.

I understand the added political concerns of clearing out one side of the staff (except Brown if he'd stay) after a 7-7 2002 vs a 10-4 2010, and I doubt TO would support such a move (is it ultimately up to him?). But I am less concerned than you are about Frost's ability to handle the logistics of being a coordinator. He's been around a lot of big time football, and I think, just like Bo was in 2003, that he'd be up to the challenge.

This is why you bring him in and give him the title Co-Offensive Coordinator. He would coach the recievers or QB's and he would call the plays. Beck would be promoted to Co-Offensive Coordinator as well. Maybe even give him an associate head coach title or something to stroke his ego. Then in a few years, assuming some success, Beck would possibly leave for a head coaching job somewhere. At this time Frost would become full time Offensive Coordinator. Then if Bo if/when leaves, he would be promoted to Head Coach. This isn't really hard to see happening and it is a fantastic scenario for everyone involved with Husker football. We get a Nebraska guy who knows Nebraska and will be around for a LONG time. No brainer if you ask me.

This is the long-term scenario I was also envisioning: bringing in Frost now could prepare NU for the departures of Bo/Beck. The Co-coordinator transitional stage is a good solution, IMO.

The question then is: would Bo bring in the guy who everyone sees as Bo's eventual replacement?

How can anyone already see Frost as Bo's eventual replacement?

With the proper seasoning, experience, and continued progression, Frost could be a competent division I OC in a few years.

Yeah, it's just dreaming right now. I think we tend to lean heavily on former players/coaches because we want continuity, we want someone who will be here for a long, long time. People still aren't sure if Bo sees Nebraska as "home," as a long term job. With a guy like Scott Frost or Turner Gill, you feel a lot more comfortable in that regard. But Frost still has a ways to go in his career before he starts getting offered head coaching jobs.

With the proper seasoning, experience, and continued progression, Frost could be a competent division I OC in a few years.

I will reply as though your concerns about bringing in Frost are not related to your desire to keep Watson:

Resume-wise, I don't think Frost's experience is THAT much less than Bo's was in 2003. We can certainly debate the experiential value of Frost's years playing in the NFL and coaching at N. Iowa and UO versus Bo's years coaching in the NFL. But we'd agree that both have been around and learned from an impressive list of football influences right?

However, beyond the "completeness" of Frost's seasoning, his viability as an immediate co-oc (sorry Watson) and eventual HC (if Bo leaves), comes from the (admittedly hard to define) "it" factor that he has displayed all along. From his tough, competitive, leadership at NU, to his ability to learn new positions and schemes in the NFL, to his actions in the Blount fiasco against Boise, to his recruiting prowess at UO, to Bellotti calling him something like the most impressive candidate he'd ever interviewed, to the performance of UO's WRs this year, to being coached by his mom in HS :laughpound I just think he has (and gets) "it." Plus, like others have said, he would offer the security of having a coach who is wholly loyal to the program and the state.

Like I said before, we can keep trying Raider and CU retreads (Kidding of course, but hey, Cable and Hawkins are both available!), or we can take a chance on another young up and comer, which seems to have worked out well in the past.

Its a definite possibility down the road. He knows football and knows how to win. He is a "Nebraska" guy in a day and age where there aren't a whole lot of "Nebraska" guys coaching. I dont know how you can say he would be a competent OC "in a few years." What does the guy have to do? Win a National Title? Oh wait he's already done that, 3 times. Not to mention he has learned from some of the greatest coaches in the country. It's not like the guy is 3 years out of college or something. We aren't talking about bringing in Zac Taylor for OC here. Scott is 36 years old already (time flies) and has been coaching for 9 years. Scott Frost coming in and learning on the fly about being an OC is no different than Bo learning to be a Head Coach. Im pretty sure that Ive heard you defend Bo several times telling people to relax because Bo is a young coach and is still learning. Pretty ironic that you will give Bo that benefit of the doubt but youre not willing to give it to Frost? I mean, do you seriously love Watson THAT much? IMO, the longer that Frost is away from Nebraska the tougher it will be to bring him back here in the future. If Bo isn't willing to bring in Frost, for whatever reason, then Osborne needs to step in and make it happen. You do whatever it takes to get him on the staff.

Not going to bring Watson into this at all as I think either way he is not going to remain. Completely moot point.

Why can't I say, he could be a competent OC in a few years? The guy has to start being an OC for one thing, or else he is just the same as any large number of up-and-comer position coaches looking to rise up the ranks. Scott Frost has won zero national titles as an offensive coordinator. I can't believe we are still using the player success = coaching success argument like it has any merit. I also don't know how anyone can possibly compare Scott's resume with Bo in 2003. It isn't even close.

Scott has been an offensive positions coach for all of two years.

I also don't know why it is acceptable for a guy to come in and learn on the fly about running an offense, when we could bring in someone who already has shown - at a lower level, or whatever - that they can. It's why names like Morris from Tulsa have some enthused. Probably won't happen though. And people will give Frost more benefit of the doubt - or, mind-numbingly, say "Frost is not as good, but I would prefer him anyway". Sure, maybe ever single one of Chip Kelley's assistants are just that proficient at running his offense and are all going to be chased after for coordinator jobs soon. Or maybe not. Maybe we should look at some young offensive assistant coaches from Wisconsin or Oklahoma or Auburn or Alabama or Nevada or...well, none of them are Husker alums, so you get the idea.

Scott is probably an enthusiastic, young, up-and-coming, good coach, who as I said, has the potential to keep rising up those ranks, which is something that is very difficult to do, and few succeed at it. So good for him. But we are talking about people already looking at his potential arrival as a potential eventual Bo replacement. If you ask me, that is completely nuts. That's an off the wall projection you simply can't make, unless you want to say any number of assistants are probable candidates for major BCS head coaching jobs in a few years. The only thing Scott has going for him in these arguments is that he's a Nebraska guy.

Lastly, I'm not sure the extent to which this is true, but if Bo really does not see eye to eye with Frost, then I would not be in favor of Osborne pulling rank and forcing a co-OC on Bo that he's not going to hit it off with, under any circumstance. In summary: if Frost comes here as a co-OC, good for him, and it means we eschewed going after a big time OC to revamp the offense, and it does not mean he is any threat to Bo with an 'HC in waiting' dynamic. Hope the gamble works out. Hope things have changed between him and Bo.