Braylon Heard did not make it

STOOBIE

Green is in no way shape or form going to be redshirted next season if Heard was playing or not. He's our best recruit in like 10 years and we are going to redshirt him? CMON MAN! It sucks he didn't make the grades, but we should be more focused on o-line blocking and being able to throw the damn ball.

Aaron Green is in no way our best recruit in 10 years! He is a great recruit to be sure, but we have had 5 star recruits before M. Lucky, A guy named Jones who was a cornerback (forgot his first name), I think that cornerback (man am I blanking on names --- from Alaska, injury prone, drafted by the Bears), and again I forgot the name -- but the OLB who was really quick, drafted I think by the Falcons. Anyway, we have had 5 stars before --- and Aaron Green is not a 5-star. He is a 4 star and we have 8 others this year and typically 5 or so a year every year.

So... sure Aaron Green is a special recruit --- maybe one of the 10-15 biggest in the past 10 years ... but biggest recruit? No! Consider that Marlon Lucky was a bigger recruit... and what did he do?

I hope, and actually expect, Aaron Green to be really good --- but even this year, I'd put Jamal Turner at least as high, if not higher. Just saying.

He had an entire extra year, that should balance out the bad tester excuse and then some.

I wish people on this board would quit painting this kid the struggling hero.

If he wasn't a football player with 4 stars no one would care.

Yes, because correctly recalling knowledge in a high-stress environment is something that can easily be corrected in a years time.

Is he struggling, yes. Does that make him a hero? Depends. He seems to be busting his tail to get a scholarship that can get him a degree and help him later in life. If nothing else he should garner some support from the fan base, not the apathy you seem to be bringing.

You're right, if he didn't play football we wouldn't know or care about his situation...are you saying that you would?

I really want Heard to make it, but i think after looking at how this developed i question how well he would do understanding how to play at the D1 level. The kid had an entire semester to study and focus on 1 test that will likely decide his future and the best he could pull out was an 18. His job for 4 months was to gain enough smarts to pass it and leave no question, yet he couldnt do it. If after 4 months of studying he couldnt get it, why would we think he would be able to pick up a playbook and make a valuable contribution. Even if he does get in at this point i seriously doubt he will remain academically eligible long enough to even play. Sorry Heard, but someone had to say it.

@nuance

Yeah, I know what you're saying. My whole point is that the ACT is not extremely difficult by most standards and it is entirely Braylon's fault he didn't make it.

When you took it you didn't have that knawing throught in the back of your mind telling you that if you didn't get an 18-19 everything you'd dreamed of might not be achievable. I can't imagine the pressure he was under. I feel kind of bad for the kid that he didn't get the score he needed. What I don't feel bad about is that he needed that high of a score to begin with.

Everyone has that feeling. If its not for NCAA athletics its for admissions, these tests play a large part of determining where you spend the next 4 years of your life if you are college bound. Every school has cutoff points for entry based on the scores.

That being said, the dude bragging about getting a 28 without studying... your score is irrelevant. There are a lot of factors that go into how successful people are at these tests. Including what courses you progressed through, how good a test taker you are, etc. Can everyone get a 28 without studying? No, most people struggle to get average scores with studying, that's how the test is designed to work. These things are simply easier for some people than others.

@nuance

Yeah, I know what you're saying. My whole point is that the ACT is not extremely difficult by most standards and it is entirely Braylon's fault he didn't make it.

When you took it you didn't have that knawing throught in the back of your mind telling you that if you didn't get an 18-19 everything you'd dreamed of might not be achievable. I can't imagine the pressure he was under. I feel kind of bad for the kid that he didn't get the score he needed. What I don't feel bad about is that he needed that high of a score to begin with.

Everyone has that feeling. If its not for NCAA athletics its for admissions, these tests play a large part of determining where you spend the next 4 years of your life if you are college bound. Every school has cutoff points for entry based on the scores.

That being said, the dude bragging about getting a 28 without studying... your score is irrelevant. There are a lot of factors that go into how successful people are at these tests. Including what courses you progressed through, how good a test taker you are, etc. Can everyone get a 28 without studying? No, most people struggle to get average scores with studying, that's how the test is designed to work. These things are simply easier for some people than others.

Thats the problem, an 18 isnt that high of a score that one should have to worry about. In fact i think it is the minimum you need to even get into most colleges.

Call me a bad guy, but I really don't feel bad for Braylon. The ACT is really not that hard. I got a 28 on my first try and I literally (yes, I mean literally) did not study at all for it. If you can't meet the university's academic standards, that's not their fault and he shouldn't be treated any different just because he plays football.

Hardly a fair statement to make, some people are just flat out horrible in standardized testing situations.

He had an entire extra year, that should balance out the bad tester excuse and then some.

I wish people on this board would quit painting this kid the struggling hero. If he wasn't a football player with 4 stars no one would care.

That's BS. An entire year to do what? Cram for the ACT? Come on. If the kid struggles with testing situations the extra year may not even make a bit of difference. I'm not saying let the kid in or anything but I'm tired of hearing people just brush off testing issues as no big deal. I just got my Doctorate in Chiropractic and I had to take my part 1-3 boards at least twice (they were sit down, ACT style tests) but my part 4 I passed the first time (and before I finished 2 and 3 I might add...the part 4 format...all procedure and oral...)

kchusker_chris

Sorry, but you're wrong there. As cheesy as it may sound, my dream since I started drumming at the age of 10 has been to go to UNL and play on the drumline. I worked my tail off in high school both academically and drummingly(?) to achieve that. So, yes, I have a fair understanding of what Braylon is going through.

Though, I agree completely with the second part of your post. I have a friend who graduated with the same GPA as Braylon did and got a 19 on the ACT. He's good as hell at what he wants to go to school for, but can't go because he slacked off in high school.

You aren't dating a girl who plays trumpet, are you?

I won't tell you guys what I got on my ACT. I didn't study, but my score was absurdly high. I'm just really good at taking tests. :dunno

I also won't tell you my graduating GPA out of High School - because it was embarrassingly low. Like, really embarrassingly low. Because I hated doing homework, and mostly skipped it. I aced all the tests, which is how I got out of school, but that super-crappy work ethic I developed made my college career at UNL very fun, but very, very brief. I flunked out of UNL my Freshman year and went into the workforce, working sh**ty jobs for a few years until I went back to school, finally getting an Associates degree at SCC. Still never got my bachelor's degree, but I've done OK without it.

That's almost exactly how things have gone for me. I had the highest ACT score in my graduating class by 7 points, yet my GPA was middle-of-the-road. I did the college thing for a year, decided it wasn't for me, and went straight back to work.

Call me a bad guy, but I really don't feel bad for Braylon. The ACT is really not that hard. I got a 28 on my first try and I literally (yes, I mean literally) did not study at all for it. If you can't meet the university's academic standards, that's not their fault and he shouldn't be treated any different just because he plays football.

Hardly a fair statement to make, some people are just flat out horrible in standardized testing situations.

I wish people on this board would quit painting this kid the struggling hero. If he wasn't a football player with 4 stars no one would care.

That's BS. An entire year to do what? Cram for the ACT? Come on. If the kid struggles with testing situations the extra year may not even make a bit of difference. I'm not saying let the kid in or anything but I'm tired of hearing people just brush off testing issues as no big deal. I just got my Doctorate in Chiropractic and I had to take my part 1-3 boards at least twice (they were sit down, ACT style tests) but my part 4 I passed the first time (and before I finished 2 and 3 I might add...the part 4 format...all procedure and oral...)

Yes, exactly. It would be like some of the guys in this thread with high ACT scores spending a year trying to run a faster forty time. You might shave some time off, but a guy running a 5.25 forty is not going to shave a second off to run 4.25 no matter how hard he trains. A guy can only do so much with the God given talent he has to begin with.

• Fire 1

Yes, exactly. It would be like some of the guys in this thread with high ACT scores spending a year trying to run a faster forty time. You might shave some time off, but a guy running a 5.25 forty is not going to shave a second off to run 4.25 no matter how hard he trains.

Best post in the thread. Exactly.

And here I was hoping that this wouldn't turn into a thread where people bragged about ACT scores.

It's a little sad.

I certainly hope you didn't think I was boasting. My college "career" is nothing to boast about. I did well on one test. I bombed in college. I'm certainly not proud of it. Mine was meant to be a cautionary tale, and empathy for Mr. Heard.

And here I was hoping that this wouldn't turn into a thread where people bragged about ACT scores.

It's a little sad.

I certainly hope you didn't think I was boasting. My college "career" is nothing to boast about. I did well on one test. I bombed in college. I'm certainly not proud of it. Mine was meant to be a cautionary tale, and empathy for Mr. Heard.

No worries. I didn't mean your post. I was referring to the "The ACT isn't hard . . . I got a ___ and didn't study/was hungover/showed up late/etc."