Texas just screwed the B12

da skers

307 has me wondering.

Some off season fodder.... Serious question for all Huskers here:

Knowing how your season ended would you rather have still had the season you had (won the Big 12 North/and bowl game etc.) OR:

Trade that to have beat Texas and finish the season bowl inelligible?

Discuss......

307 has me wondering.

Knowing how your season ended would you rather have still had the season you had (won the Big 12 North/and bowl game etc.) OR:

Discuss......

:laughpound

I rarely laugh out loud at something I read online, but this time you got me. We really, really, really do not care that much about Texas.

The ego is awesome. It's what makes a Texan a Texan. But the reality is... we don't like you that way. We don't obsess over you more than we obsess over beating Missouri, or Oklahoma, or Oklahoma State.

And going to a bowl is better than not going to a bowl, no matter who you lose to in the process.

307 has me wondering.

Discuss......

I rarely laugh out loud at something I read online, but this time you got me. We really, really, really do not care that much about Texas.

The ego is awesome. It's what makes a Texan a Texan. But the reality is... we don't like you that way. We don't obsess over you more than we obsess over beating Missouri, or Oklahoma, or Oklahoma State.

And going to a bowl is better than not going to a bowl, no matter who you lose to in the process.

This.

The TX loss sucked but not going to a bowl game would have suuuuuuuuuuuuuuked. Right, Grueny?

307 has me wondering.

Discuss......

This.

The TX loss sucked but not going to a bowl game would have suuuuuuuuuuuuuuked. Right, Grueny?

losing to texas is a private embarrassment. we had a little vendetta against them, and missed our opportunity. not being bowl eligible? that is a very public, epic embarrassment. i would never want to be bowl ineligible. losing one game is just that, one loss. not being bowl eligible makes a whole season a waste, a disaster. nothing is worse than being bowl ineligible, at least for a husker fan.

307 has me wondering.

Discuss......

I really never put much stock into the Texas game so I'd definitely rather end the season the way we did. My goal was really for a Big 12 title so losing that hurt a lot more than the Texas game. To me the Mizzou game was much more important for us to win since the North was at stake.

A few points about the Bohl's article (from the heart of Vermin Country, no less):

1) OU won't tag along with A&M to the SEC: OU mistakenly revealed that they're hitching their wagons to Texas last summer. And frankly, while the SEC publicly said they want Texas and OU, they really don't--OU has little to offer the SEC other than a football program that can beat the other 12 SEC teams. Texas is too big of a primadonna for the SEC to put up with, and Texas wants nothing to do with the SEC--Texas is using the "College Football Cheating for Dummies" book as written by the SEC en masse.

A&M does two things--it adds an opponent to the SEC schedule that is tough, yet consistently beatable, it opens the fertile recruiting grounds of Texas to the SEC, and it adds a major media market (Houston) to the SEC footprint--something which will help the SEC when CBS' SEC broadcast rights end in two years (read: even more money).

As for the other school, it likely won't be a Big XII member--the SEC will have an open door to Texas and a middle-of-the-road program to use and abuse. The SEC has no use for any of the other schools--they're the biggest conference on the block, Oklahoma takes more than it adds, and no other school (save for Texas) would benefit the SEC. Look for an ACC or Big East school to jump ship for a large payday that isn't necessarily amenable to the Big 10 footprint and has geographical relevance to the SEC (read: North Carolina, FSU, Georgia Tech).

2) If the SEC goes to 14, I fully expect the Big 10 to offer Notre Dame again. Yes, Notre Dame will spurn them again.

3) When the Big 10 gets rejected by the 'Domers, I can see either a (Syracuse/Rutgers) offer to get to 13 purely for the big bump in footprint (to counter the SEC adding south Texas to their footprint). However, when the (Syracuse/Rutgers) offer happens...

4) An offer to Syracuse or Rutgers may trigger Conference Armageddon 2, as it signals open season on poaching the best of the Big East. The ACC will look to offer 2 or 3 (depending on where the SEC goes). So while chaos ensues in the Big East...

5) The Big 10 will offer Notre Dame again, and the 'Domers will accept. No Big East--no home for Olympic teams, and Notre Dame will finally read what has been written on the walls for some time.

6) This leaves Kansas/Missouri stuck in the Big Tex unless someone wants to go to 16 (not likely).

If Syracuse or Rutgers reject a Big 10 offer (highly unlikely), then look for both Kansas and Missouri (if Kansas hasn't already signed with the Big East) to be onboarded to the Big 10, and that would make Nebraska fans happy (two more close opponents, some history added back, etc.)

Anyway, just some thoughts. Feel free to beat the living **** out of them via comments and criticism.

Notre Dame was very close to joining the B10 last round and if not for about 2 or 3 people would have been. I still don't think its done. Their AD even went so far as to free up their schedule cancelling the Army game for 2013. This would've/will allow them to keep important rivals like USC, Navy and be in a conference with an 8 or 9 games.

More like if not for 3 persons in one Being.

Anyway that's likely to be news from the last time or early in the latest Big# attempt. It ended with Jack Swarbrick, our AD, reaching some kind of deal with Texas [errr I mean the big 12] that we could join for everything except football if we had to. The debate seems to have reversed polarity, as now instead of conferences growing, schools seem to be wondering if they could do without them.

Fallout from BevoTV

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/26/am-raising-eyebrows-at-espnut-televising-high-school-games/

Seems A&M and Bill Byrne might be a little pissed.

IMO the high school games are a sketchy deal. They gives Texas a signficant recruiting advantage(OK a bigger recruiting advantage). This is dangerous territory and there is much potential for abuse. I think the NCAA needs to nip it in the bud.

oh goodie. now i can watch those little orange jump suits and tiny, disproportionately sized hats play the UT fight song on TV. over and over and over again.

god, why do you hate me?

God does not hate you, He just knows that, 'that which does not kill you makes you stronger makes you stronger.'

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1:

Fallout from BevoTV

http://collegefootba...h-school-games/

Seems A&M and Bill Byrne might be a little pissed.

IMO the high school games are a sketchy deal. They gives Texas a signficant recruiting advantage(OK a bigger recruiting advantage). This is dangerous territory and there is much potential for abuse. I think the NCAA needs to nip it in the bud.

Exactly. I cannot see how BevoTV airing high shcool games would not be considered direct contact between the university and the recruit. Stay tuned.

oh goodie. now i can watch those little orange jump suits and tiny, disproportionately sized hats play the UT fight song on TV. over and over and over again.

god, why do you hate me?

God does not hate you, He just knows that, 'that which does not kill you makes you stronger makes you stronger.'

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1:

thats not entirely true. i like to compare this to swallowing a cup of bleach or drain cleaner. sure, you may survive, but its gonna hurt like hell and you'll have to eat through a tube for the rest of you're life.