No Football 101 for 2011

knapplc

Although I don't completely disagree with this assesment, the cancellation might be because of something as simple as not having enough registered participants. I mean, it takes money to put these things on, and there have to be other sponsors that participate. If they haven't recieved the support from the community it might have been a case of not being able to raise the money that they would like.

To my knowledge they hadn't even opened the registration process. I found out it was shut down when I tried to register and couldn't.

I've heard that Callahan rumor, too, and it makes no sense. We've been doing Football 101 for two decades at least, so he didn't start it. The only thing he may have done (and I don't know if this is true or not) is that he may have made it a Breast Cancer fundraiser.

If Callahan is actually threatening lawsuits to prevent Bo from doing this, that's pretty damned low. Breast Cancer research is something I'm tremendously concerned with. I would be furious if this was true.

I would like to see something resembling proof before I believe a rumor like this, though. It's a pretty low thing to do.

Although I don't completely disagree with this assesment, the cancellation might be because of something as simple as not having enough registered participants. I mean, it takes money to put these things on, and there have to be other sponsors that participate. If they haven't recieved the support from the community it might have been a case of not being able to raise the money that they would like.

To my knowledge they hadn't even opened the registration process. I found out it was shut down when I tried to register and couldn't.

On his foundations homepage it mentions that 2011 Football 101 has been cancelled and that all registrants will be refunded their registration fees. IDK even when the registration was...I just made the thought because of the statement on his website.

This makes me really wonder about Bo. After all, coaches have charities so they connect with the community. It seems this move is done so that the coaches won't have to talk to Husker fans. Bo's experience might indeed be souring here. After this, it makes me wonder if he really was looking around for somewhere else to go. Nothing panned, and he didn't want to walk away from his head coaching gig, so he's waiting it out. But he doesn't want to talk to fans. He wants to coach and wait for his chance to leave. Good thing TO is around, because we are going to be looking for an HC soon...in one or two years max. I hope my gut feeling was wrong. I always thought he was staying and not interested in the Miami or other jobs, but, after reading the Football 101 release, it gave me pause. And to all those fans who say he needs every bit of time to diagnose the new conference, well, I just don't buy it. They have a lot of days to break down 12 games. A LOT of time.

I completely agree, although you are likely to get some heat for it. It was a hugh deal and raised alot of money I am sadden that he has choosen to take a "hiatus". He seems fine with just giving him so dough though, which really is an insult to his entire foundation.

This makes me really wonder about Bo. After all, coaches have charities so they connect with the community. It seems this move is done so that the coaches won't have to talk to Husker fans. Bo's experience might indeed be souring here. After this, it makes me wonder if he really was looking around for somewhere else to go. Nothing panned, and he didn't want to walk away from his head coaching gig, so he's waiting it out. But he doesn't want to talk to fans. He wants to coach and wait for his chance to leave. Good thing TO is around, because we are going to be looking for an HC soon...in one or two years max. I hope my gut feeling was wrong. I always thought he was staying and not interested in the Miami or other jobs, but, after reading the Football 101 release, it gave me pause. And to all those fans who say he needs every bit of time to diagnose the new conference, well, I just don't buy it. They have a lot of days to break down 12 games. A LOT of time.

I don't think this is an overreaction. I was pretty surprised they canceled it this year. The Big 10 move can't be why.

2010 they had 900 participants at $95 dollars a piece for one day. You do the math, that is a pretty good fundraiser.

and Bill Callahan does not own football 101, nearly every univeristy has the same fundraiser called the same thing. I hate to say it, but there is some smoke here. Especially since they refunded money to registrants

sure, there is some smoke, but those putting it on Bo because he has some evil plan are hilarious.

Bo Pelini, the multi-million dollar earning coach of one of the nations most prestigious programs, that gives speeches like the gipper and is all about loyalty, is obviously dumb enough, with the staff he has around him, to cancel an event like this because he hates charity.

Bo Pelini is evil and must pay!

Whats funny, is now people will say "but he should give a reason."

Bo Pelini has those types exactly where he wants them.

There was Football 101 at Nebraska for years but it was a completely different concept than the Football 101 under Billy C and Bo. The previous was most notably taught by George Darlington (who also wrote a book about it) and it was something done over a period of weeks. The latter version made it a 1 day event and a fundraiser for breast cancer.

I'm fairly certain there is an issue but I'm not sure how far it will go as several NFL teams also have the same concept so its not a "brain child" of any one person.

I think football 202 is still going to happen but I haven't seen an announcement indicating one way or another.

I spoke to Bo about Football 101 today. I was behind him in line at the coffee shop and chit-chatted briefly about a couple of players, then remembered Football 101, so I asked him directly why it wasn't being held this year.

Bo told me (in his brief, not-terribly-full-of-information Bo way) about an issue with Football 101 that has to get ironed out. It is beyond his control and beyond the control of the Bo Pelini Foundation, and it has NOTHING to do with Bill Callahan. The Callahan rumors can be laid to rest. Again, NOTHING to do with Coach Callahan. It also has nothing to do with the coaching staff or the team in general. It's an outside issue entirely. That's all I'm going to tell you about why it's not being held this year, so don't ask for more details. Probably it'll be explained in the future, but until that situation gets ironed out, I'm not going to be the one to start any rumors.

I asked if it would be held again next year or in years to come, and Bo said they had to figure out how it would work with the upcoming construction, so that has to be taken into account as well. It seems at this time as if it's on hold indefinitely.

Everyone here is familiar with Bo's style of talk. He's not a long-winded guy, so I'm expanding quite a bit on our very brief conversation here. Even though he didn't directly say so, I got the impression that Coach is still very much committed to this kind of fundraiser, and in fighting breast cancer.

It seemed to me as if, as soon as he's able, he'll run Football 101 again. So that, at least, is good news.

I spoke to Bo about Football 101 today. I was behind him in line at the coffee shop and chit-chatted briefly about a couple of players, then remembered Football 101, so I asked him directly why it wasn't being held this year.

Bo told me (in his brief, not-terribly-full-of-information Bo way) about an issue with Football 101 that has to get ironed out. It is beyond his control and beyond the control of the Bo Pelini Foundation, and it has NOTHING to do with Bill Callahan. The Callahan rumors can be laid to rest. Again, NOTHING to do with Coach Callahan. It also has nothing to do with the coaching staff or the team in general. It's an outside issue entirely. That's all I'm going to tell you about why it's not being held this year, so don't ask for more details. Probably it'll be explained in the future, but until that situation gets ironed out, I'm not going to be the one to start any rumors.

I asked if it would be held again next year or in years to come, and Bo said they had to figure out how it would work with the upcoming construction, so that has to be taken into account as well. It seems at this time as if it's on hold indefinitely.

Everyone here is familiar with Bo's style of talk. He's not a long-winded guy, so I'm expanding quite a bit on our very brief conversation here. Even though he didn't directly say so, I got the impression that Coach is still very much committed to this kind of fundraiser, and in fighting breast cancer.

It seemed to me as if, as soon as he's able, he'll run Football 101 again. So that, at least, is good news.

Very cool, good to know, and I'm glad that it didn't have anything to do with the rumor I heard.

This seems like just an interesting bit of off-season data. But I would like to know why Bo was at the Coffee Shop, it sounds like things are so bad at the office that he looks for reasons to get out, this concerns me.