Recruit not happy about the Marvin situation

Some might argue that this is what any major program would have done, were it in Nebraska's position. Still, between the preseason media lockout, the A&M meltdown, Sailor-gate, and now the curiously-timed dismissal of key assistants, it seems that the Pelini PR trainwreck will continue well into the new year. Ugh.

Pelini needs to fly out to see this kid and butter him up, ASAFP.

Some might argue that this is what any major program would have done, were it in Nebraska's position. Still, between the preseason media lockout, the A&M meltdown, Sailor-gate, and now the curiously-timed dismissal of key assistants, it seems that the Pelini PR trainwreck will continue well into the new year. Ugh.

Pelini needs to fly out to see this kid and butter him up, ASAFP.

Especially since the kid showed his loyalty not flirting with AR when they came around when Sanders didn't.

If he's so mad then let him leave and release him from his LOI. If he isn't coming to PLAY FOR BO AND BE A HUSKER so be it. I would bet if he asked Bo for a release he would give it no problem. Fact is Sanders could have taken another job and left after signing day, not a big diff. Really, from the sounds of it it is nobody's fault but Wanders so if Charles wants to be mad then be mad at Sanders. Something tells me when Bo recruits he tells kids they are first and foremost commiting to the university and secondly to him! Ass't coaches can come and go. And in the end Bo couldn't really just say Sanders wont be around if this was a day by day developing thing in his personal life.

In the end Bo is right. This is about Bo and the program. Sanders is (was) a part of that vision and he can be replaced. I do think SOMETHING should of been said, or they should get on the phone with the guy, but in the end, you come to play for Nebraska and the program Bo is putting together, not Sanders....

Yeah but we basically fired 3 assts the day after LOI day. Frankly, it was practically the NIGHT OF. Name me one other program that did that this year. Everyone else sorted out their assts in early January. Pelini didn't fire his 3 then because he didn't want recruits to defect.

I agree that it is about the program, and not playing for a specific asst. But if that's true, then why not fire the assts back in the first week of January (like every other school did)? This reeks of desperation on our part.

I agree 100%, and if what was posted in some other threads is right, then we are just seeing the start. I like Bo on the field, but Bo off the field seems to be some other sort of animal. Stories of what is going on during recruiting trips (Carl mainly) and actions during the season makes me wonder what kind of guy we TRULY have. In the end I trust TO to keep him under control off the field, and that will allow him to win on Saturdays. This may or may not blow up on us, but it just stinks to high heaven.

If he's so mad then let him leave and release him from his LOI. If he isn't coming to PLAY FOR BO AND BE A HUSKER so be it. I would bet if he asked Bo for a release he would give it no problem. Fact is Sanders could have taken another job and left after signing day, not a big diff. Really, from the sounds of it it is nobody's fault but Wanders so if Charles wants to be mad then be mad at Sanders. Something tells me when Bo recruits he tells kids they are first and foremost commiting to the university and secondly to him! Ass't coaches can come and go. And in the end Bo couldn't really just say Sanders wont be around if this was a day by day developing thing in his personal life.

You make a good point. I personally think he committed because of the Nebraska environment and and we development defensive talent (especially secondary) so well. Hopefully this will just be a bump in the road for him.

In the end Bo is right. This is about Bo and the program. Sanders is (was) a part of that vision and he can be replaced. I do think SOMETHING should of been said, or they should get on the phone with the guy, but in the end, you come to play for Nebraska and the program Bo is putting together, not Sanders....

Yeah but we basically fired 3 assts the day after LOI day. Frankly, it was practically the NIGHT OF. Name me one other program that did that this year. Everyone else sorted out their assts in early January. Pelini didn't fire his 3 then because he didn't want recruits to defect.

I agree that it is about the program, and not playing for a specific asst. But if that's true, then why not fire the assts back in the first week of January (like every other school did)? This reeks of desperation on our part.

I agree 100%, and if what was posted in some other threads is right, then we are just seeing the start. I like Bo on the field, but Bo off the field seems to be some other sort of animal. Stories of what is going on during recruiting trips (Carl mainly) and actions during the season makes me wonder what kind of guy we TRULY have. In the end I trust TO to keep him under control off the field, and that will allow him to win on Saturdays. This may or may not blow up on us, but it just stinks to high heaven.

What goes on during recruiting trips?

Some might argue that this is what any major program would have done

But other major programs DON'T do this. There was a huge asst coach carousel going on in the first week of January -- why wasn't Nebraska part of this?

And since other major programs do this same thing, please send me links to news stories of top 20 programs firing asst coaches in the immediate aftermath of LOI day. I haven't seen news of ANY other programs doing this. Hell, even Texas got their sh1t sorted out in early January, and they're OBSESSED with recruiting. Even Rick Neuheisel aired his dirty laundry before LOI day. We're the only ones who kept it private in an attempt to deceive recruits.

You don't see anything wrong with not even letting these guys know what was going on? I bet he would have still come to Nebraska if Bo would have just be straight forward and honest with him. The kid feels lied to and who can blame him...

Yes, it does. This is not the Nebraska way, running things like this. NU is not East Germany in the Cold War: this wall must come down, Bo.

Bo is never going to come clean, guys. He's not going to learn how to handle the press and, apparently, he can't even handle his own assistants. Holing up in a bunker, potentially deceiving recruits, giving teleconferences ... I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.

He may be a great defensive coach, but now he's Head Coach. At Nebraska. This isn't right what he's doing, not one bit.

I guess I see how recruiting goes both ways. Look how the coaches spend 1,2 or sometimes 3 years recruiting a player and the players verbally committs to your school months or even a year early from NSD. The schools spend lots of money and time recruiting these guys. Everything is fine for a long time and the recruit says they are 100% committed to your school so the coaches don't have to waste any time and money looking for another recruit at that particular position. Then to the coaches surprise,near the signing day the recruits does an about face and signs with another school without giving much or no notice.

It should be about signing with the school and whole football program and not just one coach. He will get over it and like the replacement coach at this position.

Not good at all, I continue to support Bo through every tough time that's happened since he's started but my God these are starting to build up, and build up quick and it's all about charcter...I think eventually we will get to a point where we are not going to want Bo around and realize the kind of person he is..I still support him but wow

Do have to call a spade a f'ing shovel and admit this was rather sneaky on our part. I think we'll be a comparably coached team on D and a better-coached on O but if I can understand a recruit feeling he wasn't given the opportunity to make an informed decision. I understand why it was done, we did hold a quality class together, but you know we'd bag on another program for doing it.

Unfortunately, we're dealing with an outlier in CJ. With most recruits, it wouldn't be a huge deal. But he's a high profile guy, had a good relationship with Sanders, and was close with AR where would have been wayyy closer to home for him. He's an extreme case. It's too bad that it happens to recruits, but it does. I'm not saying it's ok what happened, but it does, and it's not going to be stopping any time soon.