Now what i don't understand, does this mean that Beck is going to the be QB coach as well or will that be a separate hire?

Who even knows at this point? Contradictory reports have been flying so long now, and most of the candidates that were being discussed here either have not panned out or weren't really contacted seriously.

This is beginning to look something like a disaster in the making. I believe that Bo can pull this out with some solid hires, but I'm so cynical about this offense that it's starting to bleed over into this vague hiring process.

Goodness, there is only so much credit to go around for the good offense Kansas posted in '07. Between Ed Warriner and Tim Beck, I'm not sure there's any slice of that pie left for Mark Mangino..

So what I'm gathering is that all the time, right under our very noses, the solution to this offensive catastrophe was right there, like a crouching tiger, or a hidden dragon. We must be the luckiest chaps in Las Vegas.

It's actually not too unbelievable. We definitely have some very solid minds on the offensive coaching staff in Watson and Beck. Watson was tied to doing something that he wasn't best suited to do. Beck was very solid in the Texas high school ranks, but if he gets the job and Bo ties his hands the same way...honestly, how much can we expect different results? It is kind of like asking Darren Sproles to be a bruising between-the-tackles goalline back, or Peyton Hillis to be an all-purpose, screen-catching, outside runner.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. More than likely Beck will be the OC because it would be very difficult to find someone outside of the program that will take Bo pulling rank on which QB plays and what he wants the offense to do. We led the nation in fumbles in 2010. I realize the QB's fumbled a lot, but so did the RB's mainly Helu.

Tim Beck, Nebraska

Buzz: As a former high school coach in the state, Beck usually excels recruiting Texas and the class of 2011 was no different. He was the lead recruiter on Army All-American Aaron Green and Under Armour All-American Jamal Turner. He also landed one of the fastest rising prospects in the country in three-star Alabama athlete Ameer Abdullah, beating out USC and Tennessee. Beck was also the recruiter for Army All-American offensive tackle Tyler Moore out of Florida, an area that isn't exactly normally a hotbed for the Cornhuskers. Despite the family connections to Nebraska he had with Green and Moore, he held off many major programs for both.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1186133

glad he is still on our side.

If this is what happens and Bo just promotes Beck, I will have the same underwhelmed feeling I had back in 2003 when Got Frank revamped his offense by hiring Barney Cotton.

I'm with you.

Instead of using resources to get the absolute best available options, we are instead settling for coaches.

Ross Els - Never coached above Ohio/NMSU in 20 years

Tim Beck - Never called plays in college

John Garrison - Was an GA/Intern before this

Corey Raymond - Like the hire, have heard good things about him

But c'mon here, this is the best we can do? I know someone will say "BUT GIVE THEM A CHANCE FIRST". We are freakin' Nebraska. We should be spending the cash to get already known top flight coaches or getting the young hot-shot up and coming coaches. We SHOULD NOT be settling for a bunch of guys we hope work out.

Someone tell me what is stopping Nebraska from going down to TCU, offering Justin Fuente the full OC position, and paying him the nearly $400k a year that Shawn Watson was earning?

You can go down a long list more of high quality guys on other staffs who would love the opportunity to move up the coaching ladder and/or get a hefty pay raise.

I really thought Bo was gonna figure this out when he decided to cut some dead weight from this staff, and I was strongly encouraged. Instead, it looks like he will make more lackluster hires to replace the under-performing former staff.

Just absolutely frustrating.

• Fire 3

Whats with all the Beck hate? It's a great hire IMO sure he's never been an OC but he's more than deserving everywhere he's coached he's done a great job. I would love nothing more than to see him turn Martinez into Meir of course thats fantasy at this point.

I'd rather not second guess the hire getting rid of Watson is great and like I said Beck seems qualified. I'd rather focus on what kind of offense we'll run obviously a spread but can we go to 3 or 4 WR sets like Ku's offense back in 07?

If this is what happens and Bo just promotes Beck, I will have the same underwhelmed feeling I had back in 2003 when Got Frank revamped his offense by hiring Barney Cotton.

I'm with you.

Instead of using resources to get the absolute best available options, we are instead settling for coaches.

But c'mon here, this is the best we can do? I know someone will say "BUT GIVE THEM A CHANCE FIRST". We are freakin' Nebraska. We should be spending the cash to get already known top flight coaches or getting the young hot-shot up and coming coaches. We SHOULD NOT be settling for a bunch of guys we hope work out.

Someone tell me what is stopping Nebraska from going down to TCU, offering Justin Fuente the full OC position, and paying him the nearly $400k a year that Shawn Watson was earning?

You can go down a long list more of high quality guys on other staffs who would love the opportunity to move up the coaching ladder and/or get a hefty pay raise.

I really thought Bo was gonna figure this out when he decided to cut some dead weight from this staff, and I was strongly encouraged. Instead, it looks like he will make more lackluster hires to replace the under-performing former staff.

Nice to know someone feels the same way I do. And to think, I got called "butthurt" the other day bc I was upset about us hiring this Ross Els guy. And you said it man, we are freakin' Nebraska. Go out and get the best.

I'm with you.

Nice to know someone feels the same way I do. And to think, I got called "butthurt" the other day bc I was upset about us hiring this Ross Els guy. And you said it man, we are freakin' Nebraska. Go out and get the best.

on the other hand alot of us were like, "ok marvin sanders, but who are these other dudes and carl as DC? untested, blah blah blah."

I couldn't agree more. If you are not going to go out and get the best in the business, why not do what it takes to get some of the hottest up and coming young coaches to come on board and build towards the future? We had one of the best ready and willing, and he just so happens to be a local boy, alumnus, and National Championship winning quarterback. This feels like we are settling for more of the same thing. I do trust Bo, and if this is wildly successful I will gladly eat my words. It just seems like Bo is reluctant to go outside of his little circle of Ohio connections...

I'm with you.

on the other hand alot of us were like, "ok marvin sanders, but who are these other dudes and carl as DC? untested, blah blah blah."

Yep. People forget how unknown guys like Papuchis, Ekeler and Dobson were around here. Today they're household names and everyone's on board with them, but back in the day there were several threads airing concerns over these guys.

I'm with you.

True, but we knew Bo was leading that D. Tim Beck is taking his first OC job with a bunch of unknowns. It's putting a lot of trust/belief in Beck's abilities.

You could take a bunch of Harvard finance grads, put them directly under Warren Buffet and they'd all make money. But could you put those same grads under your local banker and expect the same results? Maybe, probably not.

Yep. People forget how unknown guys like Papuchis, Ekeler and Dobson were around here. Today they're household names and everyone's on board with them, but back in the day there were several threads airing concerns over these guys.

:yeah

who is this John Garrison fellow? First time ive heard his name..i think

edit, nevermind i thought recognized the name

True, but we knew Bo was leading that D. Tim Beck is taking his first OC job with a bunch of unknowns. It's putting a lot of trust/belief in Beck's abilities.

You could take a bunch of Harvard finance grads, put them directly under Warren Buffet and they'd all make money. But could you put those same grads under your local banker and expect the same results? Maybe, probably not.

So we're going to find out if Bo is Warren Buffet or some schmoe local banker. I'm hoping we hired him because he's more Warren than schmoe. We'll see.

So we're going to find out if Bo is Warren Buffet or some schmoe local banker. I'm hoping we hired him because he's more Warren than schmoe. We'll see.

He IS Warren Buffet on defense - which is why I think JP, Ekeler, Carl were bound to have success regardless of their background. He might be a little closer to your local banker when it comes to the offense though. Do you think he's going to take a greater role in the offense with Beck, or let Beck run the show?

Do you think he's going to take a greater role in the offense with Beck, or let Beck run the show?

That I do not know. I would hope Carl is up to speed enough to allow Bo to spend equal time throughout. As a defensive guru the thought is that Bo would know how to dissect an offense - and what an offense can do to put heavy pressure on a defense. It depends on Beck's ability to run the show.

It would be nice to have some kind of hint at the Spring Game, but that's highly unlikely. More likely we won't see the fruits of this move until October.

Do you think he's going to take a greater role in the offense with Beck, or let Beck run the show?

That I do not know. I would hope Carl is up to speed enough to allow Bo to spend equal time throughout. As a defensive guru the thought is that Bo would know how to dissect an offense - and what an offense can do to put heavy pressure on a defense. It depends on Beck's ability to run the show.

It would be nice to have some kind of hint at the Spring Game, but that's highly unlikely. More likely we won't see the fruits of this move until October.

Right, I think Bo's defensive mindset allows him to be an asset in game-prep. He can break down a defense, etc. That still doesn't help much with play-calling and in game adjustments though - which is what Watson failed misserably at.

One thing that worries me, is if Bo comes at the offense from a "defensive mindset", then because each defense we play is different he'll have his own method for beating each one. I love his defense for the fact that it matters little which offense a team runs, the philosophy can be applied to anything. The offense should run that way as well - with a solid identity (god that word has been thrown around a lot in the last couple of years).

It's a fine line between trying to impart your will on a defense, and scheme to exploit a defense's weaknesses. Do too much of one and you won't do any of the other. If Bo concentrates only on trying to exploit the weekness of a defense each week (which is what a coach with a defensive mindset would do) - we'll just end up with a "multiple" offense that doesn't really know what their doing until a few days before the game when they implement the game plan. Might be a running team one week (Missouri), or a passing team the next week (Oklahoma St) - but when something doesn't quite work for you (Texas...receivers can't catch) - you're just sh#t out of luck because you don't have that "core offense" to fall back on.

• Fire 1