An open letter to Bo Pelini

Yet another letter/post from another fan about Bo Pelini and the way he handles things.

I'm getting really sick of Husker fans and Husker related writers right now, and I can't believe I'm even saying that.

He earns a lot of money for what he does. He is also a socially awkward individual when it comes to the camera and he he is going into this fourth year as a head coach. It's getting really tiring of people trying to tell Bo to be like TO, or to be like the other great head football coaches in our country. He isn't going to be like any of those guys. Bo is Bo and fans/writers have sat here long enough trying to debate and tell Bo how he should act.

There are some things Bo has to do - like tone down his sideline demeanor, because he is the representative of our university. At the same time, he's not going to change the way he does press conferences over night, he's not ever going to be as charismatic as TO, and HE'S NOT EVER GOING TO BE TO.

Honestly, I know everybody cares about the program and the university, but give it a freaking break.

Do you not realize that you're doing the exact same thing the letter writer is doing? He never once said directly nor implied that Bo should act like Tom Osborne. He merely (and quite rationally I might add) explained that there are better ways to go about situations than Bo is currently exercising, and encouraged him to take a look at those ideas. Then you come on, acting all high-and-mighty, and totally misinterpret what he's getting at, but then echo his sentiments by saying "There are some things Bo has to do..." and "he's not going to change the way he does press conference over night", implying that he does indeed need to change, but that it will naturally be a process.

He's saying we need to back off/chill out/stop being so obsessive. We tend to make things worse because we "care so much." I agree. It's getting weird in here.

Yet another letter/post from another fan about Bo Pelini and the way he handles things.

I'm getting really sick of Husker fans and Husker related writers right now, and I can't believe I'm even saying that.

He earns a lot of money for what he does. He is also a socially awkward individual when it comes to the camera and he he is going into this fourth year as a head coach. It's getting really tiring of people trying to tell Bo to be like TO, or to be like the other great head football coaches in our country. He isn't going to be like any of those guys. Bo is Bo and fans/writers have sat here long enough trying to debate and tell Bo how he should act.

There are some things Bo has to do - like tone down his sideline demeanor, because he is the representative of our university. At the same time, he's not going to change the way he does press conferences over night, he's not ever going to be as charismatic as TO, and HE'S NOT EVER GOING TO BE TO.

Honestly, I know everybody cares about the program and the university, but give it a freaking break.

Do you not realize that you're doing the exact same thing the letter writer is doing? He never once said directly nor implied that Bo should act like Tom Osborne. He merely (and quite rationally I might add) explained that there are better ways to go about situations than Bo is currently exercising, and encouraged him to take a look at those ideas. Then you come on, acting all high-and-mighty, and totally misinterpret what he's getting at, but then echo his sentiments by saying "There are some things Bo has to do..." and "he's not going to change the way he does press conference over night", implying that he does indeed need to change, but that it will naturally be a process.

He's saying we need to back off/chill out/stop being so obsessive. We tend to make things worse because we "care so much." I agree. It's getting weird in here.

:facepalm:

Dear Bo,

I'm excited you're the coach (which is the reason I'm writing to let you know that I'm just not excited right now).

I like it that you have passion and enthusiasm (well, except when I don't like it)

Thank you for listening to my humble opinion (which you really need to consider taking seriously)

Don't get angry now! (Ha, gotcha, just kiddding, we're friends right?)

I'll look forward to seeing you on the field (where you can show me you've listened to my helpful suggestions)

Go get 'em–we're all behind you (just work at being more politically correct as that will get you a whole bunch more people to like you, which is really what you want isn't it?)

Let me know if I can be of further help (don't worry, don't call us, we'll call you)

Hugs and Kisses,

Your #1 Fan

all I got from that letter is "blah blah I'm a fan who knows nothing telling bo what to do." You guys had better hope Bo never sees this toilet paper.... this is the kind of stuff that makes bullet points in "reasons why I want to leave" lists. Bo is just fine the way he is.... everyone who thinks different can kick rocks.

No, I'm not.

Whoever wrote that letter is saying the exact same thing we have heard ad-nauseum around here. It seems daily somebody new is out there saying how Bo needs to act, and they jump on random messages boards or call into radio channels telling everybody what they think like it's something we haven't heard before. We've all heard it 1,000 times and I'm sick of hearing it.

He said in one letter what I said in one simple sentence - Bo needs to change some things, but he doesn't need people grilling him all the time or people telling him the same crap over and over again.

I'm doing the exact OPPOSITE of whoever wrote that letter - I'm telling people to shut up and get over it, instead reiterating what everybody knows. We were privileged to have a certain culture and coach here for nearly three decades and that time is over.

The sooner people stop expecting Bo to be a certain way and the sooner people just let him run his damn program, the happier we'll all be. Criticism can be an extremely powerful tool, but not when it's being used as it is now. Husker fans and writers are looking pathetic to people outside looking in. You can take and interpret this however you want, but as far as me doing what this guy did, you couldn't be further from the truth.

all I got from that letter is "blah blah I'm a fan who knows nothing telling bo what to do." You guys had better hope Bo never sees this toilet paper.... this is the kind of stuff that makes bullet points in "reasons why I want to leave" lists. Bo is just fine the way he is.... everyone who thinks different can kick rocks.

This is my point exactly - fans getting on their soap boxes saying how things should be. It's amazing to me that Bo even likes being here any more with the type of BS this fan base and culture gives him. The sooner everybody remembers our history but stop trying to make it the present, the better off we will all be.

Do we even know if Bo was in Lincoln on LOI day? I'm guessing he was out of state dealing with hiring/recruiting/other issues.

Dunno. I just thought it did a good job of explaining Bo's obvious strengths and mentioning where he could improve.

I'd add that I wish Bo could master the TO method of talking for 30 minutes at a press conference without saying anything. Osborne was an absolute master at this.

I wish the "I wish Bo was Tom" talk would stop. Bo is always gonna be Bo. Either learn to like it or learn to like another team for now.

I agree with everything you just said. Crap like this is what makes me embarrassed to be a Husker fan at times. It pisses me off when I have someone else tell me how to do my job when I know how to perform the duties of my job extremely well.

Its great to be a die hard fan. I'm an extremely die hard fan live it and breathe it. There are too many fans that have to know everything going on in the Football program like these coaching changes that these fans get so heated and disgusted by the way Bo is handling things in a hush hush type of way that they have to bash him in the papers or message boards.

Our football program has been great these past 3 years. Could things have been better absolutely but things could've been worse too.

The way some of these Husker fans that bitch and complain about the way Bo does is job gives me a reason why I don't blame other fans from different teams to talk badly about our fan base or would give any reason for another coach to come here and coach in these types of harsh environments.

Bo is doing a fine job a damn good job. He sees an area where we need to improve and he's making those adjustments on the offensive side. I believe he's aware of what this team could've been if our offense would've performed better than what they've shown during the past 5 games.

Let Bo do his job and be patient and go do something and enjoy life during the offseason.

• Fire 1

Bo is not always going to be Bo. You have seen change in him since he got here. Normally after one of his assinine outbreaks.

He will not be here long if they continue.

I do not want him to be Coach Osborne, I want him to conduct his routine as he feels, I just want him to be a better representative of the University. Nothin more.

I love his fire and desire to win, I just want to see him under control on the side lines.

This coaching deal may have been out of his control. I really do not know and I don't think anyone else on here knows for sure.

But this situation and his sideline antics have brought unwanted attention to the program. He needs to get it squared away and fast.

I truly think he will.

:facepalm:

Dear Bo,

I'm excited you're the coach (which is the reason I'm writing to let you know that I'm just not excited right now).

I like it that you have passion and enthusiasm (well, except when I don't like it)

Thank you for listening to my humble opinion (which you really need to consider taking seriously)

Don't get angry now! (Ha, gotcha, just kiddding, we're friends right?)

I'll look forward to seeing you on the field (where you can show me you've listened to my helpful suggestions)

Go get 'em–we're all behind you (just work at being more politically correct as that will get you a whole bunch more people to like you, which is really what you want isn't it?)

Let me know if I can be of further help (don't worry, don't call us, we'll call you)

Hugs and Kisses,

Your #1 Fan

Kif, what are you? Gay?

131207.jpg

Do we even know if Bo was in Lincoln on LOI day? I'm guessing he was out of state dealing with hiring/recruiting/other issues.

Dunno. I just thought it did a good job of explaining Bo's obvious strengths and mentioning where he could improve.

I'd add that I wish Bo could master the TO method of talking for 30 minutes at a press conference without saying anything. Osborne was an absolute master at this.

I wish the "I wish Bo was Tom" talk would stop. Bo is always gonna be Bo. Either learn to like it or learn to like another team for now.

Haha. Like it or leave! dizzturbedNUfan says so! That's sad.

I have never said that I wish Bo was Tom. I said that he should take some lessons on how to handle the media, which was something that Tom was good at.

In return, Shawn Watson will never be a good offensive coordinator. Watson is always going to be Watson. Either learn to like it or learn to like another team. :sarcasm

You seem to be one of the simple minded black/white types. Someday you might learn that there are a lot of gray areas out there.

If this letter makes into his bullet points of reasons why I want to leave, then Bo's skin is a bit thin. However, maybe you're right. Maybe this is why about three years is his longest stint anywhere in his coaching career.

I really do not think Bo is going anywhere Junior. I think he has only moved for better jobs or more responsibility. He is upwardly mobile.

I get a lot of grief about my supposed dislike for the man. That is far from the truth. I still think as far as university perception we could have done better, but would we have been a better team is the question. I think Bo has done a tremendous job with what he inherited from Callahan. Not the greatest talent in the country, then or now, but he gets the most out of his players, obviously they care about him and his ideas. That is the most positive thing that can happen in a program, and Bo has accomplished that.

He just needs to understand he is in a large fishbowl. Everyone looking in at all times with the media business being the internet now days. Nothing can be hidden, behind closed doors is your only chance I guess. He is doing things his way, he just needs to take into consideration the impression his actions make on the outside world. We as die hard fans will overlook things that others do not. He will never be Coach Osborne, and I really do not think todays athletes would flourish under Coach Osborne. They are more about "ME" now days. It takes a stern hand to control them, guide them and make them what we need rather than exactly what they want. Bo seems to be very good at that.

He is a very intelligent man, with his fire and determination and Coach Osborne's guidance on media and public affairs he will turn the corner. I think he has changed, and I must admit he is doing far better than I thought he would. I was more against him than anyone on this board when he came here. He has changed my mind, and being a stubborn old jar head, that is quite an accomplishment.

I want him here as long as he wants to be here. But he does have to adapt, and with age and guidance he will. My worry with him has always been a Woody Hayes incident type thing. That is still in the back ground for me, but he is making small steps to correct that. I do feel Perlman and Coach Osborne have gotten his attention on how they want him to act/represent the University.