Are you afraid of death?

im terrified of death. ive never had the luxury of witnessing a pleasant one, if there is such a thing. does that mean it affects my everyday life? does the fear of heights constantly disable those who suffer from it?

faced with a life or death situation, i bet your tune would change.

I think one of the things about death that makes people fear it, is that it lasts forever (I would guess the majority of people on this board believe that, anyways). I don't know about everyone else, but I have a difficulty grasping the concept of "forever." No one living has experienced "forever." Whether you're religious or not, just think that when you die, whatever happens after that will last "forever." It's a weird thought.

Every male member of my family has been disembowled eventually, going back 5 generations. So I'm stoked!

I didn't invent this and I don't remember where I first heard it said but I was dead a loooooong time before I was thrust into this world, and things were pretty cool then. I was totally relaxed and at ease, even with all the Bubonic Plague and The Bataan Death Match and all that. I didn't even notice the horror! So why be afraid of death? We've all been dead before already anyways.

Every male member of my family has been disembowled eventually, going back 5 generations. So I'm stoked!

I didn't invent this and I don't remember where I first heard it said but I was dead a loooooong time before I was thrust into this world, and things were pretty cool then. I was totally relaxed and at ease, even with all the Bubonic Plague and The Bataan Death Match and all that. I didn't even notice the horror! So why be afraid of death? We've all been dead before already anyways.

Mark Twain is where that's paraphrased from. "I've been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and haven't suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

Mark Twain is where that's paraphrased from. "I've been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and haven't suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

Nice, thanks for the clarification!

That must have been one hell of a game!

(I meant Death March, of course.)

Of course the process of dying could be painful, but I don't fear the state of not being alive. Consider that every night we sleep and lose consciousness. That's what death is like, but we don't dream and don't wake up.

I think you've hit it, to a large extent. I think the process of dying is more frightening than death itself. Depending on a person's view, death is one of two conditions - nothingness, which means no experiences negative or positive, or salvation and eternal life in some kind of "heaven". Nether condition is what worries folks as much as how they achieve those conditions. The kind of death - the means by which you die - is frightening when contemplated. Death? No.