Paul Rhoads - Stay Classy

epocSoN

Sorry I haven't been posting as much lately, I try to keep my message board time down during the off season. But this story couldn't wait.

My wife is a veterinary student at UNL. UNL has a program with ISU where after two years at UNL, you spend your last two at ISU. So my wife is finishing up her second year, and her classmates at ISU do a lot with her class at UNL, because although they are at separate programs now they will all be together next year.

Anyway, here is the meat of the story. Last night Paul Rhoads gave a speech about adversity to the ISU vet class last night, and as always they video conferenced his speech over to the Nebraska students as well. Literally, the entire hour+ speech was about him and his team beating Nebraska two seasons ago. He pretty much just bragged about how great they were, blah blah blah. I guess his speech had little point, and very little to do with adversity besides the fact that many of their players had the flu.

So after an hour+ of rambling about this he finishes up. The host then says they wants to present Paul with an award or whatever and Paul steps up to say a few more words. The host interrupts him though, and hands him a mic saying "make sure you speak into the microphone so the Nebraska students can hear you."

His face turned BRIGHT BRIGHT red. He obviously had no idea that the Nebraska kids were watching this speech as well. He hoped off the stage asap, and ran with his tail between his legs.

Sorry I haven't been posting as much lately, I try to keep my message board time down during the off season. But this story couldn't wait.

My wife is a veterinary student at UNL. UNL has a program with ISU where after two years at UNL, you spend your last two at ISU. So my wife is finishing up her second year, and her classmates at ISU do a lot with her class at UNL, because although they are at separate programs now they will all be together next year.

Anyway, here is the meat of the story. Last night Paul Rhoads gave a speech about adversity to the ISU vet class last night, and as always they video conferenced his speech over to the Nebraska students as well. Literally, the entire hour+ speech was about him and his team beating Nebraska two seasons ago. He pretty much just bragged about how great they were, blah blah blah. I guess his speech had little point, and very little to do with adversity besides the fact that many of their players had the flu.

So after an hour+ of rambling about this he finishes up. The host then says they wants to present Paul with an award or whatever and Paul steps up to say a few more words. The host interrupts him though, and hands him a mic saying "make sure you speak into the microphone so the Nebraska students can hear you."

His face turned BRIGHT BRIGHT red. He obviously had no idea that the Nebraska kids were watching this speech as well. He hoped off the stage asap, and ran with his tail between his legs.

For a first year coach at ISU and to beat NU at their place for the the first time in ages is a BIG accomplishment to him in his early career. I get tired of the seeing the "I am SO PROUD" speech, but you can't fault the guy. Not many coaches can say they beat a team like Nebraska in their first year at their house. I have heard many coaches speak over the years and most of them always talk about a big win they had and how they overcame adversity blah, blah, blah. I am sure he was embarrassed to learn about NU students listening in, and that is funny, but it is not classless at all. I have met Paul Rhodes and he is nothing but a small town Iowa guy that has his dream job at his home school. He is good for ISU after the stain that CHizick left and hate to say it to my fellow huskers but right now beating NU is the highlight of his career and we will continue to hear about it. Until they beat the snot out of Iowa in the near future... :)

For a first year coach at ISU and to beat NU at their place for the the first time in ages is a BIG accomplishment to him in his early career. I get tired of the seeing the "I am SO PROUD" speech, but you can't fault the guy. Not many coaches can say they beat a team like Nebraska in their first year at their house. I have heard many coaches speak over the years and most of them always talk about a big win they had and how they overcame adversity blah, blah, blah. I am sure he was embarrassed to learn about NU students listening in, and that is funny, but it is not classless at all. I have met Paul Rhodes and he is nothing but a small town Iowa guy that has his dream job at his home school. He is good for ISU after the stain that CHizick left and hate to say it to my fellow huskers but right now beating NU is the highlight of his career and we will continue to hear about it. Until they beat the snot out of Iowa in the near future... :)

I had the exact same thoughts about Paul, and for the most part I still do. I admire what he has done at ISU, and how the players absolutely love him. I shouldn't have had the "stay classy" line in the title, but its too late to change now, oh well.

I just thought it was a funny story of a coach getting caught with his pants down.

Ha ha! Imagine that, a head coach who is not media savy. :)

Oh please :facepalm:

No comprende the facepalm.

The guy spends an hour bagging on a school, not knowing his speech is being piped into that school. So that guy *is* media savy?

Paul Rhoads is doing wonders for that ISU program...I mean, they almost beat us two years in a row. Well, we almost beat ourselves two years in a row. He seems like a great guy who is still very proud at what his team, a team that he cares very dearly about, did to a common powerhouse program in Nebraska; they went in and (I don't care how sloppily we played) and beat us.

Not knowing that there were NU students watching as well; that is hilarious to me. Do you think maybe he would've selected a different topic if he knew NU students were also listening in?

Is this any worse than circling a game on your calender months in advance of the game, having the media people put beat Texas in a video, and have some bracelet to reference the game? And then, fall on your face when the game actually gets here? Rhoads seems like a pretty decent guy. He was right to talk about the game with reference to adversity because his starting QB and starting RB didn't play in the game. They were playing a much better opponent on the road. How much more adversity would you guys have liked?

I think it's a great example of overcoming adversity, but being an NU student, I would've probably liked to have heard a more neutral example.

This.

First rule of public speaking: Dress nice.

Second rule of public speaking: Know your audience.