Paul Rhoads - Stay Classy

epocSoN

I think it's a great example of overcoming adversity, but being an NU student, I would've probably liked to have heard a more neutral example.

This.

First rule of public speaking: Dress nice.

Second rule of public speaking: Know your audience.

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. I like Paul Rhoads, and this was just a funny set of circumstances.

Is this any worse than circling a game on your calender months in advance of the game, having the media people put beat Texas in a video, and have some bracelet to reference the game? And then, fall on your face when the game actually gets here? Rhoads seems like a pretty decent guy. He was right to talk about the game with reference to adversity because his starting QB and starting RB didn't play in the game. They were playing a much better opponent on the road. How much more adversity would you guys have liked?

I didn’t know that Bo Pelini ordered the media people to make that beat Texas video and release it on youtube. And I didn’t know Bo came up with the idea for the bracelets. Or created all the media frenzy over the UT game. I guess Bo is more multifaceted than I realized.

• Fire 1

Is this any worse than circling a game on your calender months in advance of the game, having the media people put beat Texas in a video, and have some bracelet to reference the game? And then, fall on your face when the game actually gets here? Rhoads seems like a pretty decent guy. He was right to talk about the game with reference to adversity because his starting QB and starting RB didn't play in the game. They were playing a much better opponent on the road. How much more adversity would you guys have liked?

I didn’t know that Bo Pelini ordered the media people to make that beat Texas video and release it on youtube. And I didn’t know Bo came up with the idea for the bracelets. Or created all the media frenzy over the UT game. I guess Bo is more multifaceted than I realized.

lol. If Bo did all that, then he IS media savvy.

He is a jack of all trades, and his favorite pass time...talking to the media.

Sorry I haven't been posting as much lately, I try to keep my message board time down during the off season. But this story couldn't wait.

My wife is a veterinary student at UNL. UNL has a program with ISU where after two years at UNL, you spend your last two at ISU. So my wife is finishing up her second year, and her classmates at ISU do a lot with her class at UNL, because although they are at separate programs now they will all be together next year.

Anyway, here is the meat of the story. Last night Paul Rhoads gave a speech about adversity to the ISU vet class last night, and as always they video conferenced his speech over to the Nebraska students as well. Literally, the entire hour+ speech was about him and his team beating Nebraska two seasons ago. He pretty much just bragged about how great they were, blah blah blah. I guess his speech had little point, and very little to do with adversity besides the fact that many of their players had the flu.

So after an hour+ of rambling about this he finishes up. The host then says they wants to present Paul with an award or whatever and Paul steps up to say a few more words. The host interrupts him though, and hands him a mic saying "make sure you speak into the microphone so the Nebraska students can hear you."

His face turned BRIGHT BRIGHT red. He obviously had no idea that the Nebraska kids were watching this speech as well. He hoped off the stage asap, and ran with his tail between his legs.

For a first year coach at ISU and to beat NU at their place for the the first time in ages is a BIG accomplishment to him in his early career. I get tired of the seeing the "I am SO PROUD" speech, but you can't fault the guy. Not many coaches can say they beat a team like Nebraska in their first year at their house. I have heard many coaches speak over the years and most of them always talk about a big win they had and how they overcame adversity blah, blah, blah. I am sure he was embarrassed to learn about NU students listening in, and that is funny, but it is not classless at all. I have met Paul Rhodes and he is nothing but a small town Iowa guy that has his dream job at his home school. He is good for ISU after the stain that CHizick left and hate to say it to my fellow huskers but right now beating NU is the highlight of his career and we will continue to hear about it. Until they beat the snot out of Iowa in the near future... :)

I had the exact same thoughts about Paul, and for the most part I still do. I admire what he has done at ISU, and how the players absolutely love him. I shouldn't have had the "stay classy" line in the title, but its too late to change now, oh well.

I just thought it was a funny story of a coach getting caught with his pants down.

Oh no doubt that is funny as hell, and totally embarrassing...I bet he is re doing his speeches right now :lol:

Some one should have let him know what was going on.

It was last year so it is still fairly relavent, but . . .

Can I tell you a story, it was just like yesterday not fifty years ago, about nerdy me in 9th grade overcoming adversity and coming this close to nailing the varsity cheerleader - or Al Bundy and the King of Queens winning a HS football game, etc

He didn't express his appreciation of Niles Paul's big contribution in ISU's win?

:lol: Good point.

I don't hold that against him one iota.

He's a football coach. What's he going to talk about in regards to overcoming adversity, the strength of Karen refugees in the face of brutal persecution in Burma/Myanmar? No, he'll probably give the best David vs. Goliath example he personally has, and as a head coach of the Iowa State Cyclones beating DONU in Lincoln is about as close a "little guy perseveres over big, bad old bully with all the built in advantages" that you can get.

The fact that he apparently didn't even know NU kids were watching makes me give him an even bigger pass. Top that off with the fact that his face got red and he bailed out of there as soon as he realized his gaffe and it sure seems like you've got a guy who was genuinely embarrassed at potentially insulting half of the people who watched his speech. I actually kind of feel bad for him.

At ISU, beating Nebraska is about as good as it gets so they ought to be proud of it. I hope ISU goes undefeated and wins the Basin Silt Conference Championship next year.