Does Nebraska have a legitimate chance to play in the National Championship game this year?

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a serious question. I vote yes b/c of the defense, Nebraska's defense will be top 5 in the country, maybe even #1.

Offensively, there are serious question marks. Theres some potential but serious question marks. Probably too many question marks for a team that wants to play for a national championship. But I feel like the defense will be sick & Nebraska cant be counted out.

Do we have a chance? Yes.

Is it realistic? No.

Anything is possible, but we have a very tough road this year. Combine the strength of our schedule with the fact that we're installing a new offense and that we've changed half of our coaching staff since last year and you have a set of circumstances that makes it highly unlikely that we'll play for the MNC.

• Fire 1

Like eoltmer pointed out, Auburn wasn't even in the conversation at the beginning of 2010. Oklahoma State is sort of another good example. They were picked to finish 7th or 8th in the Big 12. Had the Pokes had any semblance of a defense, we might've witnessed a different Big 12 champion.

Is it possible for NU to win it all next year? Certainly. Will they win it all? I'm not betting on it. At this point a 3-4 loss season in 2011 with a first year OC would be par for the course.

Lots of optomists out there... Unfortunately, I think that there are just too many hurdles for this team to overcome in one off-season. Production will have to go way up in the OL/QB/WR positions, they'll have to replace Helu, they'll have to potentially learn an entirely new playbook, train with many new coaches and play a much more difficult schedule... I would be EXTREMELY surprised if Nebraska plays in the National Championship game this next year.

Do we have a chance? Yes.

Is it realistic? No.

Anything is possible, but we have a very tough road this year. Combine the strength of our schedule with the fact that we're installing a new offense and that we've changed half of our coaching staff since last year and you have a set of circumstances that makes it highly unlikely that we'll play for the MNC.

Agreed. As much as I would like to believe we have a legitimate chance to win the NC, I just don't see it happening this year. We play all of our division and the best teams from the other and that schedule will be hard to overcome with a new offense and a lot of new coaches.

If we could have found a Cam Newton clone in the JUCO ranks this offseason I would say yes. Defense is there, playmakers would be made. IMO that's really all that seperates us from being a top 5 team vs a 20ish team. Maybe one of our QB's has a breakout season? We're close, but there's 2 types of QB's. There's the Cam Newton/Tim Tebow's that carry their teams to wins, then there are the Greg McElroy/Matt Flynn types that execute the gameplans flawlessly, and manage their team to a win. We don't have either (or at least we don't "know" if we have either)

There is always a chance. That said, if it happens it will be one of the greatest coaching jobs ever done in college football. Could Bo do it? Defensively possibly, offense, a tough road to hoe.

I honestly would be very happy with only three losses this year. Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State will be tough, no question.

I voted no, being the realist that I am.

This is a serious question. I vote yes b/c of the defense, Nebraska's defense will be top 5 in the country, maybe even #1.

Offensively, there are serious question marks. Theres some potential but serious question marks. Probably too many question marks for a team that wants to play for a national championship. But I feel like the defense will be sick & Nebraska cant be counted out.

No, not this year. That game has been played. But maybe in January 2012 :)!!