TE Orlando David [Miami (OH) Commit]

Nexus

O I do too. Hey's a huge target on our board. We still need one TE for the class, and he is one of the last on our board left at the TE position that we still have a serious shot at. The coaches will be pushing really really hard for this one!

THIS

With JT being a noncontributor, yeah I am going to throw that out there, there is a need for two TE's IMO. Sam Cotton will probably play TE if other recruits look elsewhere, but could very easily play DE(film looks very good on that side of the ball). We need another TE in this class.

JT?

Kerr

why has kerr been such a non factor... thought he was a pretty highly regarded recruit way back when... what happened??

I wouldn't really put highly regarded recruit and Kerr in the same sentence. He was not overly hyped, looked to be a bit of a project. Coaches loved his blocking coming out of high school. However, between not catching on with the offense, injuries(shoulders I believe) and the fact that Cotton and Reed are way better it just hasn't worked out. Maybe he turns it around, but I ain't holding my breath.

well he diiddd have an offer from SDSU....... but i did think when he came in people were prettu stoked on him... but oh well i hope he gets over the injury bugg....

:LOLtartar

why has kerr been such a non factor... thought he was a pretty highly regarded recruit way back when... what happened??

I wouldn't really put highly regarded recruit and Kerr in the same sentence. He was not overly hyped, looked to be a bit of a project. Coaches loved his blocking coming out of high school. However, between not catching on with the offense, injuries(shoulders I believe) and the fact that Cotton and Reed are way better it just hasn't worked out. Maybe he turns it around, but I ain't holding my breath.

well he diiddd have an offer from SDSU....... but i did think when he came in people were prettu stoked on him... but oh well i hope he gets over the injury bugg....

:LOLtartar

Got to remember though irie most people on this board and others are pretty stoked about a kid that commits, unless the kids last name happens to be Cotton. Then it is 50-50(and yes I include myself in this)

IMO we should try to find Kerr a new home. Even if we lost Cotton and Reed we'd have walk-ons in ahead of Kerr. I don't want us being cutthroat like bama by any means but we can't afford to keep flat-out non-contributors on schollie, especially if we want to continue rewarding the top walk-ons. Could be just talk but it has been alleged that his attitude isn't so hot anyway.

As far as David goes Cotton could easily keep growing into a DE, if we can land another stud TE we should take him.

• Fire 1

IMO we should try to find Kerr a new home. Even if we lost Cotton and Reed we'd have walk-ons in ahead of Kerr. I don't want us being cutthroat like bama by any means but we can't afford to keep flat-out non-contributors on schollie, especially if we want to continue rewarding the top walk-ons. Could be just talk but it has been alleged that his attitude isn't so hot anyway.

As far as David goes Cotton could easily keep growing into a DE, if we can land another stud TE we should take him.

i think we need to be known as a place that honors its scholarships. obviously we need to also be very clear with kids about their prospects for future playing time when we do annual evaluations with them (i think it's typically done after spring practice) so that the ones that aren't looking at playing time can find another school if they decide to. those that want to stay need to have that option though, so long as they are working hard and keeping their noses clean. it's a bit of a line to walk, but this is another example of doing things "the nebraska way". people already are taking notice that our coaches are straight shooters in recruiting. we need to enhance that reputation, not sabotage it.

i agree that another TE is a definite need in this class though. i do have some hope for that barry kid that walked on.

i think we need to be known as a place that honors its scholarships. obviously we need to also be very clear with kids about their prospects for future playing time when we do annual evaluations with them (i think it's typically done after spring practice) so that the ones that aren't looking at playing time can find another school if they decide to. those that want to stay need to have that option though, so long as they are working hard and keeping their noses clean. it's a bit of a line to walk, but this is another example of doing things "the nebraska way". people already are taking notice that our coaches are straight shooters in recruiting. we need to enhance that reputation, not sabotage it.

i agree that another TE is a definite need in this class though. i do have some hope for that barry kid that walked on.

Wouldn't be sabotaging anything, it's nothing out of the norm. Scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis, they aren't guaranteed for four years. Like I said I'm not advocating a cutthroat bama-approach. I didn't advocate just shoving the kid out. I said find him a new home. If you don't think TO or Frank did that you're wrong. As far as Kerr goes the hard-work condition of his schollie is pretty suspect.

Wouldn't be sabotaging anything, it's nothing out of the norm. Scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis, they aren't guaranteed for four years. Like I said I'm not advocating a cutthroat bama-approach. I didn't advocate just shoving the kid out. I said find him a new home. If you don't think TO or Frank did that you're wrong. As far as Kerr goes the hard-work condition of his schollie is pretty suspect.

there's a difference between giving a kid options to go elsewhere and taking his scholarship away if he decides not to. it may seem like a minor distinction, but such things are important.

one of the keys to recruiting under TO was that parents knew that if they sent their kids to NU, they would be taken care of. leaving a kid high and dry because you misjudged his talent is not taking care of them and provides fodder for negative recruiting. sure, "everyone does it", but we don't, and that's important. we only have so many advantages in recruiting. we'll carry a david harvey or latravis washington or okafor or anyone else if they hold up their end and decide they'd rather stay in the NU family than seek playing time elsewhere. (again, if a kid isn't putting the work in or keeping his nose clean, that's a different story.)

there's a difference between giving a kid options to go elsewhere and taking his scholarship away if he decides not to. it may seem like a minor distinction, but such things are important.

one of the keys to recruiting under TO was that parents knew that if they sent their kids to NU, they would be taken care of. leaving a kid high and dry because you misjudged his talent is not taking care of them and provides fodder for negative recruiting. sure, "everyone does it", but we don't, and that's important. we only have so many advantages in recruiting. we'll carry a david harvey or latravis washington or okafor or anyone else if they hold up their end and decide they'd rather stay in the NU family than seek playing time elsewhere. (again, if a kid isn't putting the work in or keeping his nose clean, that's a different story.)

I couldn't agree more.

I really don't think you get what I'm saying. I never advocated leaving a kid high and dry, where did I did I say just cut him? TO and Frank did lay it on the line and find guys new homes. They weren't cut but they were given an implied invitation towards the door and assured of a soft-landing. Of course if they have injury-problems put them on medical-hardship. They didn't have to go by any means, non-contributors have stayed, but they knew where they stood with the staff. A few kids tranfer-out on every team, it can't be used for recruiting-fodder.

I really don't think you get what I'm saying. I never advocated leaving a kid high and dry, where did I did I say just cut him? TO and Frank did lay it on the line and find guys new homes. They weren't cut but they were given an implied invitation towards the door and assured of a soft-landing. Of course if they have injury-problems put them on medical-hardship. They didn't have to go by any means, non-contributors have stayed, but they knew where they stood with the staff. A few kids tranfer-out on every team, it can't be used for recruiting-fodder.

then we agree. saying things like "Scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis, they aren't guaranteed for four years" sounded an awful lot like a justification for cutting a kid loose. i apologize if i misunderstood.

• 6 months later...

Wonder what happened with David's recruitment? No updates as of late from any of the recruiting sites. We were in good position with him in the early stages. According to Rivals he's only made one OV. With Wilkerson solidifying his commitment to PSU this past weekend, it'd be nice to see where David is at in his recruitment at this point. I'd like to get another TE to fill out this class and David would be a great addition.

Tweet from Nov. 27th, 2011:

Orlando David TE LB Chaminade working hard in weight room. Will make college choice soon.

vyGji.jpg

LINK