NCAA Tourney Hopes

I agree that it seems asinine, but the guys that know more than me are all saying it's true. Heard on Sports Nightly tonight there are even 2 places that have Nebraska IN. I don't see any possible way NU can be in the conversation, but the fact is they are. And don't discount the fact that the selection committee is human and can be swayed by what they hear and read, and right now they are reading that Nebraska deserves a close look. I'm not going to get my hopes up, because I think it takes a win Saturday AND two GOOD wins in the tourney, and NU has a history of letting me down, but you can't deny that the "smart guys" are high on NU for some reason.

I know all about the talking heads on TV backer, but I was expecting you of all people to attempt to pump some of the nebrasketball sunshine up my ass. I just can't fathom a way they get in as is. On top of that, I can't see this team doing what has eluded them all season win a big game on the road following a huge win. And I don't want to think about what this team would do playing on back to back days. Most of the time playing twice in a week fries my brain.

So now, someone other than bball_backer, explain to me how NU gets in(besides winning the conference tourney, cause I'll put the odds on that at 150:1 and that is being generous).

backer, feel free to attempt to pump some nebrasketball mojo into me about the sCUm game.

After the loss to ISU, i was told by a bracket guy(Tim Gardner) that the Huskers only shot was winning the XII tourney.. now he says we could be in with 2 wins.. depending on what others do...

This year is so up in the air.

I think it takes 3 wins.. maybe 4

3, we need others to lose

4, we have our ticket punched if a few teams dont go ona run like ours

beat CU, beat TT/OKIE then beat AM and we might be watching for our name in a week and a half.

I agree that it seems asinine, but the guys that know more than me are all saying it's true. Heard on Sports Nightly tonight there are even 2 places that have Nebraska IN. I don't see any possible way NU can be in the conversation, but the fact is they are. And don't discount the fact that the selection committee is human and can be swayed by what they hear and read, and right now they are reading that Nebraska deserves a close look. I'm not going to get my hopes up, because I think it takes a win Saturday AND two GOOD wins in the tourney, and NU has a history of letting me down, but you can't deny that the "smart guys" are high on NU for some reason.

I know all about the talking heads on TV backer, but I was expecting you of all people to attempt to pump some of the nebrasketball sunshine up my ass. I just can't fathom a way they get in as is. On top of that, I can't see this team doing what has eluded them all season win a big game on the road following a huge win. And I don't want to think about what this team would do playing on back to back days. Most of the time playing twice in a week fries my brain.

So now, someone other than bball_backer, explain to me how NU gets in(besides winning the conference tourney, cause I'll put the odds on that at 150:1 and that is being generous).

backer, feel free to attempt to pump some nebrasketball mojo into me about the sCUm game.

Oh no you don't, you're not gonna trick me into getting my hopes up this time. For the first time EVER, I've been able to keep a level head the past few days. I'm not going to start dreaming now. Once, maybe just once, I'll be able to go into Saturday with no expectations so that after the game I'll either be thrilled (with a win) or indifferent (with a loss), no hair pulled out, no nuts popped, not ruptured veins in my neck.

All these teams that keep losing are making it hard enough not to dream. I don't need you egging me on, too.

Oh no you don't, you're not gonna trick me into getting my hopes up this time. For the first time EVER, I've been able to keep a level head the past few days. I'm not going to start dreaming now. Once, maybe just once, I'll be able to go into Saturday with no expectations so that after the game I'll either be thrilled (with a win) or indifferent (with a loss), no hair pulled out, no nuts popped, not ruptured veins in my neck.

All these teams that keep losing are making it hard enough not to dream. I don't need you egging me on, too.

Now you're starting to see the light young Skywalker. The force is strong in this one. I have seen this movie far to many times to expect something new. I crave for something new, but alas I still beg of Doc to prove me wrong.

Ironic though it is, that the two teams telling the Big XII to pound sand are probably fighting for the last tourney spot and it comes down to which coach Doc or Tad Boyle can get their team up for a monster game, something both have struggled with this year. I pick the altitude to win

maybe third time on the ragged edge is the charm?

because thats kinda what we're lookin at. with the texas win, we made up for our 'first mistake' (tech and baylor losses, if we had those plus the texas win, sheeit) then we follow that glimpse of hope (based more on other big 12 teams mediocrity rather than our exciting win over Texas alone) by an enormous bed crapping with KSU and ISU...now we are somehow, i swear its black magic, back where we were after going an ugly 1-2 since texas, staring down a road game, of all things. geesh.

actually, the more i think about it, the less sense it makes.

From everything I have heard, if we win at Colorado and win 1 big 12 tourney game, we are in. We are real lucky that the bubble is so weak this year because if anyone would have told me this after we lost to ISU I would have said no way. Also unlike some of you I have my hopes extraordinarily high for Saturday. :koolaid2: If we win, I will go crazy, if we lose, I will go crazy. Big game and like todd said, hope the 3rd time is the charm.

Why is the game on Saturday not on TV or am I missing something?

Yeah its not on TV. Guess Big 12 doesn't care about the 2 teams that are leaving, even though both are fighting for a spot in the big dance.

not surprising, really.

i was searching for possible links of any sort earlier and came across this tidbit that will certainly help nebraska's stellar road record:

Tickets for the University of Colorado men's basketball game vs. Nebraska this Saturday, March 5, are SOLD OUT for the general public. Colorado has now sold out a record five men's basketball games this season.

The Nebraska game will not be televised, but it will be broadcast on the radio on 850 KOA for the first time this season and will be the first CU basketball game on KOA since the winter of 1983.

completely uninteresting link

Yeah, that bracket is interesting to look through...

I think it's going to take beating Colorado and then making the semifinals to get into the NCAA tourney...maybe just making a close game against Kansas or Texas or aTm would do...

-OR-

If we lose to Colorado...I think it's going to take making it to the finals to get into the dance...just too many loses and a lot of bad losses for the team to rebound from to make the dance.

Here's something interesting...we lost 6 conf. games by a combined 21 points this year:

If we won 2 of those games (Texas Tech and Iowa State), we would've been a 6 seed

If we won 3 of those games (Texas Tech, Iowa State, and Baylor): we would've been a 5 seed

If we won 4 of those games (Texas Tech, Iowa State, Baylor and Kansas State): we would've been a 3 seed

If we won 5 of those games (Texas Tech, Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, and Missouri): we would've been a 2 seed

If we won all 6 of those games (Texas Tech, Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, Missouri, and Kansas): we would've won the Big XII regular season and be the number 1 seed.

The only game that wasn't close was the Missouri loss so it was very likely, with 4 more FTs or just two more layups, that NU would've been a 2 seed in the tourney and we wouldn't even be talking about "Tournament hopes" we would be talking about which team we would face in the first round.

there is still a chance, but i am with bball_backer, i Think Ne needs the CU for sure and probably 2 in the Big 12 tourney. I know they are first four out and taking out colorado obviously makes that first 3 out, but everyone is forgetting that those projections are based on guessing that the first place team in a conference will be the conference tourney winners. That is not always the case. Just one upset winner, just one cinderella and you are bumped back a spot. Multiple upsets and suddenly you are 7th or 8th out. Thats why I think NE needs to win their next 3 games to make it really hard for them not to get one of the last spots.