tressel situation

Am I the only one thinking that the AD leaving the selection committee meetings (I believe he is the head of the Mens BBall Selection Committee, or similar) to come back for a presser is a pretty big deal? Or am I over evaluating that move?

It's his job to head the presser. The fact the JT will be there, usually means he won't be fired.

Via Twitter:

@BFeldmanESPN RT @ZackMeisel #OhioState athletic department announces 7 pm press conference tonight: President Gee, Jim Tressel, Gene Smith

They're not including The Vest in the presser if he's in hot water. At worst I could see vacating some wins. He won't step down.

That's the thing I don't understand. I thought to vacate wins, the players had to become ineligible. The players haven't done anything more to declare them ineligible.

Am I the only one thinking that the AD leaving the selection committee meetings (I believe he is the head of the Mens BBall Selection Committee, or similar) to come back for a presser is a pretty big deal? Or am I over evaluating that move?

It's his job to head the presser. The fact the JT will be there, usually means he won't be fired.

Good point. He'd probably be packing his sweaters right now instead of attending a news conference.

Via Twitter:

@BFeldmanESPN RT @ZackMeisel #OhioState athletic department announces 7 pm press conference tonight: President Gee, Jim Tressel, Gene Smith

They're not including The Vest in the presser if he's in hot water. At worst I could see vacating some wins. He won't step down.

That's the thing I don't understand. I thought to vacate wins, the players had to become ineligible. The players haven't done anything more to declare them ineligible.

And its not like Tressel pulled a Woody Hayes on someone. chuckleshuffle

Via Twitter:

That's just me throwing an idea out there. I haven't heard that anywhere, so if it only happens if a player is ineligible, that's probably not a worry. I have no idea what the NCAA would do to him, then. Maybe bowl probation? Loss of schollies? I have no idea.

Via Twitter:

That's just me throwing an idea out there. I haven't heard that anywhere, so if it only happens if a player is ineligible, that's probably not a worry. I have no idea what the NCAA would do to him, then. Maybe bowl probation? Loss of schollies? I have no idea.

Loss of schollies? Then we can just oversign! :P

Yahoo! Report: Tressel knew of victory over Michigan in April.

"Despite statements to the contrary leading up to the annual Ohio State-Michigan in November, an unnamed source has revealed to Yahoo! Sports that Tressel was aware that Michigan had no chance at victory as early as April. The source reports that a concerned Michigan fan questioned Coach Tressel about the Wolverine's chances at a Big Ten function, to which Tressel responded with hysterical laughing. If true, Tressel did not disclose this knowledge in the months leading up to OSU's mastery over Michigan for the 7th straight season."

I think it'll be USC lite. Loss of some schollies and maybe a bowl ban. I can't see the NCAA vacating the season since they let those five guys play in the bowl game anyways (still can't figure that one out). They must not have thought what they did was really that bad. I know this is different, but I'd think the university will punish him more than the NCAA.

It could be said that he did that against less than stellar offenses and when we hit one we did a back slide.

Don't get me wrong, I want Bo to stay and actually do well, he has not done that much, and nothing to warrant a move to Ohio State.

He has concentrated on defense, we have no offense. Ohio State is into winning games and playing in BCS games, Bo has not done that yet while at Nebraska. Time will tell if he has that talent or not. But at this time nothing truly has improved other than the attitude of the fans. A few more wins, but losses that are untimely and the inability to have the team ready for certain games. As stated above he is not on the radar on one single talking head, and I doubt that he has been all year. We are in no danger of losing him. Anyone that would want him at this time would be a step down.

I just get tired of the sky is falling, bo is going to leave crap. It is not going to happen anytime soon. Period.

Well we could see the tressel situation escalate greatly if the yahoo sports report is true. I'm hoping it doesn't escalate because if tressel runs into a situation where Ohio st gets punished for his actions Bo is going to be a top candidate to replace him.

The real problem here is that the NCAA needs to revamp their whole violation policy. I think Tressel will be fine.

Tressel has quite the track record. ESPN:

Over the course of his career, Tressel has had players who drew the NCAA's attention besides this latest situation.

While Tressel was coach at Youngstown State, of Division I's Football Championship Subdivision, quarterback Ray Isaac was accused of accepting improper benefits including cars from boosters. Years later, the university admitted to the infractions and faced minor penalties.

The player who led Ohio State to its first national championship in 34 years, tailback Maurice Clarett, also involved Tressel in some NCAA problems. After the Buckeyes beat Miami in the BCS National Championship Game following the 2002 season, Clarett was suspended for receiving improper benefits from Buckeyes boosters.

Clarett, who never played another collegiate game, also accused the university of academic fraud in its dealings with athletes' academics.

Troy Smith, Tressel's quarterback who won the Heisman Trophy in 2006, was suspended for the Alamo Bowl at the end of the 2004 season and for the first two games of the 2005 season for taking money from a booster.

In May of 2009, The Columbus Dispatch reported that since 2000, Ohio State had reported to the NCAA more than 375 violations -- the most of any of the 69 Football Bowl Subdivision schools that provided documents to the newspaper through public-records requests. Most of the infractions were minor and resulted in little or no punishment.

I still don't think they'll fire him.