UNO to DI.....but

If the interest was there at UNO for football and wrestling the donor money would be there also. I had no idea UNO had a 3 time national championship wrestling team, and I don't care. If the donors were there for football, UNO would have found a home for a FCS program a long time ago. The support, the money isn't there. I feel bad for the kids and coaches, but I think they'll be OK.

I am excited about UNO in the Summit playing DI basketball and baseball.

Does anyone know the salary difference between a D-I and a D-II Athletic Director? hmm..

I understand where you're going, but I don't think that is it. This move actually reminds me of things I've seen multiple times in the years I've worked in the corporate culture. I think he is looking at a short term solution and padding his resume at the same time. 'I took a DII school with financial problems to DI of course I could do great things with your school Mr. DI big conference AD search committee'.

Eventually everyone realizes that the 'short term' solution blows and the guy (Trev) responsible has been promoted and is moving on to greener pastures.

Really? This much vitriol over UNO football and wrestling? Has anyone ever attended a game? Losing football does make sense when you read the article. Its expensive, and going D1 will add more cost than bloodgames pay. Title IX is more of the issue if you ask me, but since that outdated pos is not going away, its a matter of making due. I think the reason people get fired up is its football, and we all love football. But really. They play on the same day the Huskers do, and will never compete on the same level. And as it would take millions more funding for it, its sad, but I get it. As to wrestling, I could not care less, that is a sport I have never understood. Its successful, yet not exactly something John Q. Public goes out to attend.

Trev Alberts isnt getting fired. Hell, most people won't even know UNO football is gone. Hockey is the school's future. Expect a new hockey arena where the football stadium sits. All signs point to it team being a title contender with the coach they have, and an on campus facility should swing it back to a money maker.

And for the record, UNO will probably win a game in the NCAA tournament before NU does...

They are choosing hockey over football and wrestling. In the article I read it said that 'hockey will be UNO's 'crown jewel' sport. They're also adding soccer and golf (and soccer isn't expensive?) I can see their reasoning but if you have a national championship caliber anything wouldn't you keep it??

Lots of poopy hittin the fan!!

trev specifically states during the presser that dropping the wrestling program was not a financial decision... though the summit conference doesnt carry wrestling, 2 other schools in the new conference have programs... the whole thing reeks.

the hockey program was profitable...until they moved from the civic to the much more expensive qwest center...now basketball is moving to the civic...someones getting too big for their britches. i hope this works out for UNO, but it seems like a lot of grandiose crap to this hombre. Trev talked about how exciting another division 1 basketball program in Omaha will be, playing nebraska and creighton, blah blah blah...have fun getting 1500 people at the rest of your games.

Really? This much vitriol over UNO football and wrestling? Has anyone ever attended a game? Losing football does make sense when you read the article. Its expensive, and going D1 will add more cost than bloodgames pay. Title IX is more of the issue if you ask me, but since that outdated pos is not going away, its a matter of making due. I think the reason people get fired up is its football, and we all love football. But really. They play on the same day the Huskers do, and will never compete on the same level. And as it would take millions more funding for it, its sad, but I get it. As to wrestling, I could not care less, that is a sport I have never understood. Its successful, yet not exactly something John Q. Public goes out to attend.

Trev Alberts isnt getting fired. Hell, most people won't even know UNO football is gone. Hockey is the school's future. Expect a new hockey arena where the football stadium sits. All signs point to it team being a title contender with the coach they have, and an on campus facility should swing it back to a money maker.

And for the record, UNO will probably win a game in the NCAA tournament before NU does...

Gotta agree with this post. Personally, I have no interest in UNO wrestling what-so-ever. Football, unfortunately conflicts with the Huskers. I'd much rather attend a high profile D1 UNO basketball game, than the 10,000,002nd consecutive UNO wrestling national championship.

trev specifically states during the presser that dropping the wrestling program was not a financial decision... though the summit conference doesnt carry wrestling, 2 other schools in the new conference have programs... the whole thing reeks.

the hockey program was profitable...until they moved from the civic to the much more expensive qwest center...now basketball is moving to the civic...someones getting too big for their britches. i hope this works out for UNO, but it seems like a lot of grandiose crap to this hombre. Trev talked about how exciting another division 1 basketball program in Omaha will be, playing nebraska and creighton, blah blah blah...have fun getting 1500 people at the rest of your games.

I guess Mark May was right for once...Trev is a douche.

I almost wonder if this has been pushed on the AD position for a while now. The previous AD left to take a the same job at Upper Iowa University several years ago. Leave UNO to take the same job at Upper Iowa? What's that all about? DI was a lot of the talk when Trev took the job. Obviously, they have been working on this for a while. I have been hearing forever that the regents would never support two DI football teams in Nebraska.

There is no reason the football team can't be a winner. They are in the best conference in DII sports and they have access to good athletes. Northwest Missouri State comes into Omaha/Lincoln and gets people UNO should have a lock on. I think they have hung on to Berhns knowing this was coming eventually.

This is all funny because Omaha will never support two DI baseball, basketball and mens soccer teams. Omaha is an event town and not a team sport town. The area knocks events like College World Series, Swim Trials and NCAA Volleyball out of the park, but grows bored with supporting average teams. I would say the counter to this would be Creighton basketball, but their attendance has fallen as well. I think the Nighthawk attendance will start to dwindle this year.

I think Trev is doing what he believes is right. That is unfortunate.

The thing that people are missing is there is no high profile D1 basketball in the Summit. Think about it this way. There are now 3 D-1 BB teams in a state that is not a BB state. 2 in the same city. So we will have the big 10, the MVC and the Summit. Well it is like this Big10>MVC>Summit by about the same amounts. Big10 is a 2-4 RPI league, MVC was #12 this year, the summit was #21.( there are #31 conferences) Your best home games will be Oral Roberts and Oakland. IUPUI on some years. YOu will not get a big conference home game because you are scraps. YOu will get a big conference road game, but that doesnt make you any money. This is a one bid league, and its not like UNO has been tearing up the MIAA or D-2. UNO will always be the little brother to Creighton who is the little brother to UNL. This will not go over well. The school will not make much more in ticket sales, they will have to use road sacrafices against big boys to get money, which by the way will be thrown away on the travel costs they will now have and the lease they now need for a bigger arena.

Oh, btw for those who dont know. The MIAA doesnt have wrestling either, so.....that is a BS excuse. And there are plenty of teams that compete at a D-1 level in BB and FCS sub for football. I dont really care about UNO, but this whole thing just rubs me wrong. That and I believe it is a massive mistake. Moving up is very expensive and i dont see UNO MBB being the money maker they are hoping for