Taylor Martinez Needs to be a Stronger Finisher!

A great read from Big Red Network about Taylor Martinez not being as strong of a finisher as some would hope. They break down his quarter-to-quarter statistics and give you a different view on his passing skills.

Click Here

By no means am I a T-Mart apologist, but...

Should have gone game by game, showing how effective he was after he was injured, and to be more thorough, you could also equate the numbers going down througout the game as the opposing defense adapting...

T-Magic did about as well as could be expected. The injuries contributed a lot. But part was due to our offensive schemes last year. The offense we ran made him look like Heisman during the pre-season sched. But look like a chump against B12 caliber defenses.

Before the injury we played eight games. The offense lit up 3 of 4 nonconference opponents, and 3 of 4 conference opponents. It laid one egg in the OOC slate and one egg in conference play.

I don't think there is much to be said about the scheme other than maybe it did not react well to losing two quarterbacks and trying to play one of them injured.

I did not read the article, I am sick of seeing them.

I remember Cory Ross being carried off the field with turf toe, I might add one of the toughest players we have ever had, not being able to stand on it with out great pain. I see a young freshman, thrown into a starting role, most likely beyond his wildest dreams, working with a lame duck offensive coordinator who did not want him to start, playing great until injured. Both wheels injured and one of the most painfull injuries you could have for a running QB.

We need to get off the kids ass. He did all that was asked of him, and did it better than any freshman at Nebraska has ever done. Damned near every team in America would give their starter to have him on the sidelines. Simply amazing how the greatest fans/sports writers have thrown this kid under the bus.

This type of stuff does the team or the player no good.

I would like to see the writer do his job, and I mean reporting with two seriously injured ankles/toes. You know I bet it would affect his ability to do it. Let alone playing division 1 football in a screwed up offensive system.

Again I am not a Martinez fan, anymore than the others, but it is time to quit beating this poor injured horse, as we may just beat it to death. We need Taylor to be the best he can be. Nothing being said seems to point to the good he did. All American, I wonder if the writer/fans ever performed at that level in their chosen fields.

• Fire 7

I'm with skersfan on this one.

What they should do, is the offensive lines' production (or lack there of, depends on what game) for each game and each quarter. Too little is put (in articles mainly) in showing off or showing what an offensive line has done or is doing. Our offensive line was more inconsistent that it was consistent. Remember we were all over Zac Lee for taking sacks, and I'm sure many of us were on Taylor for taking sacks in the CCG, but that offensive line wasn't blocking ANYTHING. No matter how fast you are or how open a receiver is right off the bat, if you have hands and bodies within inches of you before you can even set your feet...you're not getting anywhere.

I want more articles on offensive lines, in general. That'd be nice. But probably not a high demand.

Before the injury we played eight games. The offense lit up 3 of 4 nonconference opponents, and 3 of 4 conference opponents. It laid one egg in the OOC slate and one egg in conference play.

I don't think there is much to be said about the scheme other than maybe it did not react well to losing two quarterbacks and trying to play one of them injured.

Simple and well said ...... I agree and can't wait for the season to start.

I remember Cory Ross being carried off the field with turf toe, I might add one of the toughest players we have ever had, not being able to stand on it with out great pain. I see a young freshman, thrown into a starting role, most likely beyond his wildest dreams, working with a lame duck offensive coordinator who did not want him to start, playing great until injured. Both wheels injured and one of the most painfull injuries you could have for a running QB.

We need to get off the kids ass. He did all that was asked of him, and did it better than any freshman at Nebraska has ever done. Damned near every team in America would give their starter to have him on the sidelines. Simply amazing how the greatest fans/sports writers have thrown this kid under the bus.

I would like to see the writer do his job, and I mean reporting with two seriously injured ankles/toes. You know I bet it would affect his ability to do it. Let alone playing division 1 football in a screwed up offensive system.

Again I am not a Martinez fan, anymore than the others, but it is time to quit beating this poor injured horse, as we may just beat it to death. We need Taylor to be the best he can be. Nothing being said seems to point to the good he did. All American, I wonder if the writer/fans ever performed at that level in their chosen fields.

I think the criticism comes from him being as amazing as he is athletically. The athletic QB's that the Huskers have had over the last 20 years were either the benefit of a favorable play caller (Crouch) or great field generals as well (Frazier and Frost).

We expect him to be these guys but we can only expect him to be T-Magic. A favorable system should help and hopefully the light turns on for him in the leadership/awareness department, but I for one am rooting for this guy. I certainly wasn't fond of him during the last quarter of the season, but I see great things in that kid. 80 yard runs are nothing to sneeze at.

Taylor was inconsistent. Even before he got hurt. In fact, after he got hurt he was largely pretty consistent, but in a bad way unfortunately. Not his fault, it was an injury that took away his running dimension and threw off his footwork. I don't really find issues with this article. Not just about finishing, though it's one statistical take I guess. He was the kind of player that would light it up at times, and fall off the map at times.

He isn't above the same level of scrutiny about his play, that any other player for this school is.

The article is actually pretty optimistic about Taylor, skersfan; you really ought to have read it before going off on the writer. ;)

Was the same thing happening on an in-game basis? Maybe. Or maybe Martinez, at this young stage in his career, is just a fast starter for now. Look through the top rated passers from 2010 and you can see a general pattern sort of emerge on a quarter-by-quarter basis. The best QBs tended to start high, settle in at a lower rating in the 2nd and 3rd, before finishing at a similarly high level in the 4th. Andrew Luck was the poster boy for this hot start/strong finish type of QB.

Martinez has at least got half of that equation down and he's got a lot of areas to grow in as he develops as quarterback. Just be sure to put closing games near the top of that list.

Being a past coach of Olyimpic and World Class athletes, I know what injuries do to them, not only physically, but mentally. Some are tougher than others, some are quite weak when they lose their athletic ability, their physical strengths.

Playing hurt, being the center of attention, is different, than a lineman or WR. It is showcased every single play.

I have quit reading negatives about him. The lead indicated it was another of many attacks on a truly unprepared Freshman. The problem was not the QB, it was the coach that stubbornly put him in a no win situations without the training or the preperation for it. He did the best he could do. He maybe a great leader, and it may well surface this year. He may never develop it. But basing a career on one season, that was not good on many sides is not fair.

I think Lee would have done a better job overall. More seasoned, more versed on the play book, more prepared to face the preasure. But he was not selected, all were excited about the Freshman tearing up practice. Flash, quick response, excitement brought to a program that needed it terribly. An error in coaching I feel. He should have been brought in slowly while we had a senior QB in the fold. But the mission of exciting the fan base was accomplished and now it is at the expense of a young man that did the best he could do, what he was capable of doing. Very few Freshman are true leaders.

Just the opposite this year. Taylor is our most experienced player, has walked the walk. He needs the state's support, and reading the things you read, he is not getting it. Questions every post it seems. The kids know what is being said by the fans, and it does matter to them.

• Fire 2

I dunno about you guys but this is what I like to see out of an injured quarterback. No excuses just plain getting it done when it matters the most.

I remember this..and thinking, "How bad must the backup QB be"? and also thinking as an old defensive player.."Are these guys blatantly trying to get the other team's Defense to relax a little?"

Carrying him like that probably didn't aleiviate any pain from the broken shin(s?), or prevent more damage.

Either way, it was a little embarrassing.

I'm sick of the cheapshots at our freshman qb too. But this is HuskerBoard and it'll never stop.