SIGNED WR Jordan Westerkamp

Nexus

So, if we are truly going to open up the offense but have not because we have not had the receivers ... we close the deal and he's :bigredn:

However, if he's gonna be a blocker and get 4-5 looks a game with 3 catches for 50 yards ... we lose him and I don't blame him a bit for listening and even biting on what the Domers are sellin'.

Notre Dame has historically been more of a passing offense. They have produced major NFL prospects like Golden Tate in recent years and are just known as more of a passing team, recruiting mostly Pro Style, NFL style QB's. Whereas Nebraska, like it or not, is known everywhere as a running team. Recruits will tell you "Nebraska runs the ball a lot". Part of that has to do with the quarterbacks we recruit. Beck & Pelini have and are continuing to recruit and play athletes or athletic run first guys at quarterback. Guys who have 4.4-4.5 speed and who hand off or run before they pass... usually because they struggle with consistency and accuracy in passing (i.e. Taylor Martinez, Cody Green, etc.) If you're Jordan then you look at NU and say... they are stacked at running back and their offensive line pulls to the run more. BUT let's break it down:

In 2011, Nebraska averaged:

29.2 ppg

2824 yds rushing with 611 rushing attempts

2115 yds passing with 293 passing attempts of which were 55.9% completed.

In 2011, Notre Dame averaged:

29.2 ppg

2085 yds rushing with 433 rushing attempts

3284 yds passing with 473 passing attempts of which were 63.8% completed.

Based on those statistics... we run the ball 2x as much as we pass it and when we pass it we complete many fewer passes than Notre Dame. Whereas Notre Dame passes more than they run and have close to an 8% higher completion rate. Jordan is also looking at their NFL guys... Golden Tate - Sehawks, Arnaz Battle - Steelers, Maurice Stovall - Lions. And Michael Floyd is going to be a top guy going into the NFL. Whereas Nebraska has Niles Paul on an active roster and that's it... and he has been playing special teams with few looks at WR.

So all that to say... Notre Dame passes more, they put more WR's into the NFL, they bring in more pro style aspects. We have 5 national championships, they have 8. Jordan is Catholic and we all know what Notre Dame means in that regard.

Now let's break down WR recruiting of who will be where next year:

Notre Dame - Deonte Greenberry 5.9 :star :star :star :star - HS Fr

Justin Ferguson 5.7 :star :star :star - HS Fr

Chris Brown 5.7 :star :star :star - HS Fr

Davarius Daniels 5.8 :star :star :star :star - RS Fr

Matthias Farley 5.5 :star :star :star - RS Fr

TJ Jones NR - JR

Daniel Smith 5.6 :star :star :star - JR

Luke Massa 5.7 :star :star :star - JR

Theo Riddick NR - SR

Robby Toma NR - SR

Nebraska - Taariq Allen 5.5 :star :star :star - RS Fr

Sam Burtch NR - RS Fr

Kenny Bell 5.7 :star :star :star - So

Tyler Evans 5.4 :star :star - So

Jamal Turner 5.8 :star :star :star :star - So

Tyler Wullenwaber NR - So

Quincy Enunwa 5.7 :star :star :star - Jr

Khiry Cooper 5.5 :star :star :star - Sr

Taylor Dixon NR - Sr

KC Hyland NR - Sr

Tim Marlowe 5.1 :star :star - Sr

Steven Osborne 5.5 :star :star :star - Sr

Jordan will actually have less competition for playing time at Nebraska. He has more of a chance to start here early than he does at ND. We have also proven that we do put really good WR in the NFL.

Now let's look at future QB play:

Taylor Martinez

874 yds rushing with 188 attempts

2089 yds passing with a 56.3% completion and 8 INT

Tommy Armstrong

1282 yds rushing with 152 attempts

1945 yds passing with a 58.6% completion and 2 INT

Tommy Rees (has 2 years left)

-56 yds rushing with 31 attempts

2871 yds passing with a 65.5% completion and 14 INT

No Current ND QB commits for this year.

Nebraska is closer to a championship right now than ND is. Our win record has been consistently higher than ND over the past few years despite the fact that ND has had higher ranked recruiting classes each year. Eventhough Taylor struggles with the passing game, we do have some much better passers coming up in Carnes and Armstrong. Martinez has 2 years left, if Jordan took a RS then he would only have to play 1 year with Taylor and would have 3 years with a new, hopefully better passing QB.

Nebraska is closer to a championship right now than ND is. Our win record has been consistently higher than ND over the past few years despite the fact that ND has had higher ranked recruiting classes each year. Eventhough Taylor struggles with the passing game, we do have some much better passers coming up in Carnes and Armstrong. Martinez has 2 years left, if Jordan took a RS then he would only have to play 1 year with Taylor and would have 3 years with a new, hopefully better passing QB.

good post until your subjective bias took over. im sure everett golson

....is every bit of a passer that carnes and armstrong project to be.

good post until your subjective bias took over. im sure everett golson

....is every bit of a passer that carnes and armstrong project to be.

i didnt read where she said that they are better passers than ND qbs, rather she said they project to be better passers than martinez. and for the record, armstrong looks to be a very good passer and i would personally take him over any ND qbs as he can run also...

i will say this about offensive production.... yes ND throws the ball more, but its not like we are old Nebraska either....... we put the ball in the air plenty. I would also guess(I will look this up later) that since they throw the ball more, it gets spread around more.....it seems like we target fewer guys(mainly bell) IMO if he is truly good enough for the NFL he will get the ball. if he can get open and CATCH THE BALL he should put up monster numbers, even with taylor at QB and our tendency to run. I would also say that if we can get better at the passing game I truly think beck would like to air it out more. I find the offensive differences a very poor excuse... hopefully he doesnt buy into it.

• Fire 1

i will say this about offensive production.... yes ND throws the ball more, but its not like we are old Nebraska either....... we put the ball in the air plenty. I would also guess(I will look this up later) that since they throw the ball more, it gets spread around more.....it seems like we target fewer guys(mainly bell) IMO if he is truly good enough for the NFL he will get the ball. if he can get open and CATCH THE BALL he should put up monster numbers, even with taylor at QB and our tendency to run. I would also say that if we can get better at the passing game I truly think beck would like to air it out more. I find the offensive differences a very poor excuse... hopefully he doesnt buy into it.

+1 to you!

Although I don't think ND spreads the ball out more. From the couple of games that I saw parts of, the QBs tried to force the ball to Michael Floyd as much as possible.

But I definitely agree, and most people disagree with me on here when I say it, that even with Taylor at QB or another QB with equal throwing skills, he would get a lot of touches. IMO, Taylor progressed a LOT this year as a game manager, a leader, and a passer. Like most people have noticed, his concentration on improving these parts of his game have led to his big-play rushing ability to be shut down a little bit. However, I think we saw in the bowl game that he is still a big factor running the ball on option, zone read, and sometimes draw plays. I know he broke at least one big run and ran the option very well several times. I feel confident with him as the QB going into next year. If he would happen to get beat out, then that means the other guy is a stud, and I would feel even better.

Jordan Payton, who was high on ND, just verballed to Cal. Deonte Greenberry, the four-star verballed to ND is a soft verbal and is looking at USC.

ND does have two three-stars with Justin Ferguson and Chris Brown. I have a feeling they really want Jordan now.

paytons been going to Cal for several months now, its just now public.

greenberry shot down the USC rumors two weeks ago and is all irish; he actually said "**** USC" on his facebook.