Iowa game

just trying to point out running down hill in the -12 was so easy our 4th string freshman with only 7 games under his belt tore Missery up.

Out of curiosity, do they say things about Nebraska like you just said about Iowa? That's a pretty cocky statement from a fan of a team that only has 11 conference titles and 25 bowl appearances in 120 years.

If the Nebraska fans you know talk like that, be comforted by the fact that they root for a team with four times the number of conference titles as your team, actual real national championships, numerous major trophy winners, and as many bowl wins as your team has appearances. So at least they have a reason to boast about their team.

knapp, what you have to remember is that to Squawk fans, a historical comparision is not important, unless of course, you take into consideration only the last 10 years. It is only important then because the Squawks actually had similar success to DoNU in our worst decade since the 50's.

Also not important are the last 4 or 5 wins DoNU has against Iowa, because they were a long time ago. But they beat us in 1980 or 81, which is very important.

just trying to point out running down hill in the -12 was so easy our 4th string freshman with only 7 games under his belt tore Missery up.

Out of curiosity, do they say things about Nebraska like you just said about Iowa? That's a pretty cocky statement from a fan of a team that only has 11 conference titles and 25 bowl appearances in 120 years.

If the Nebraska fans you know talk like that, be comforted by the fact that they root for a team with four times the number of conference titles as your team, actual real national championships, numerous major trophy winners, and as many bowl wins as your team has appearances. So at least they have a reason to boast about their team.

Wow, no one was even comparing the two programs. You brought that one up out of no where, what other cards do you have to play?

This is actually stemming from other conversations in past arguments our board members have had with some Iowa fans who ran their mouths a little.

But nevertheless STOP THE VIOLENCE haha, this article is heading to into self distruction.

If we are going to argue with each other, at least let it be after we play each other in the B1G. HUsker fans, no use in damaging our reputation for something absolutely meaningless. Right now all I wanna do is enjoy our coast into the B1G land.

The never ending argument... In my experience growing up in Iowa, Iowa fans were born to hate Nebraska, if their parents hated the Huskers so did you, just the way it was. I don't try to get into smack talk with Hawkeye fans since most of them didn't know they had a football team until 2002.

Wow, no one was even comparing the two programs. You brought that one up out of no where, what other cards do you have to play?

I'm pretty sure he was comparing the two fan bases, so I gave him a further comparison. We're not talking about the programs, we're talking about the fans, and what they boast about. If Husker fans boast it's only because they truly have something to boast about - unlike Iowa fans, who seem to boast without anything to back it up.

Iowa seems like a tough, gritty football team with really loyal fans. Congratulations - that puts them on par with 3/4 of the teams from AQ conferences, meaning not much to boast about. And yet they do, at Husker fans, who follow a team that has actually accomplished something (or, several somethings) in their history.

I thought that was all pretty easy to follow if you read the thread.

My major problem with most Husker fans is that they still think it is the mid to late 90s. They act like they are the best football team around, when in actuality the team hasn't been any more nationally relevant recently than most other teams. If you talk to a Michigan fan the past couple of years, they don't act like they are god's gift to football and that they are going to walk all over you and win the game simply because they are Michigan. They realize and understand where their team is right now and that they will have to actually play the game and it won't just be handed to them because of who they are.

Given recent history, there is no way that Nebraska fans should think that the game with Iowa will be anything other than a down in the trenches slug fest that won't be decided until the 4th quarter - but the attitude is, well we are Nebraska and you are Iowa so we are just better and you should just bow to our superiority and accept your place as our doormat. News flash - this isn't the 90s and it is that smug attitude that pisses us off.

I can sympathise with those Nebraska fans living in Iowa because I am sure that after all of the smugness and superiority coming from Nebraska during their amazing run in the 90s that things were a little rough - but to continue to think that just because you are Nebraska you are better than everyone else without proving it on the field doesn't help.

My major problem with most Husker fans is that they still think it is the mid to late 90s. They act like they are the best football team around, when in actuality the team hasn't been any more nationally relevant recently than most other teams. If you talk to a Michigan fan the past couple of years, they don't act like they are god's gift to football and that they are going to walk all over you and win the game simply because they are Michigan. They realize and understand where their team is right now and that they will have to actually play the game and it won't just be handed to them because of who they are.

Given recent history, there is no way that Nebraska fans should think that the game with Iowa will be anything other than a down in the trenches slug fest that won't be decided until the 4th quarter - but the attitude is, well we are Nebraska and you are Iowa so we are just better and you should just bow to our superiority and accept your place as our doormat. News flash - this isn't the 90s and it is that smug attitude that pisses us off.

I can sympathise with those Nebraska fans living in Iowa because I am sure that after all of the smugness and superiority coming from Nebraska during their amazing run in the 90s that things were a little rough - but to continue to think that just because you are Nebraska you are better than everyone else without proving it on the field doesn't help.

If we only look at recent history and use that to attempt to foresee how the Nebraska-Iowa game will go this season, the only reasonable prediction is that Iowa will have to forfeit. All of the players will be in the hospital.

If we only look at recent history and use that to attempt to foresee how the Nebraska-Iowa game will go this season, the only reasonable prediction is that Iowa will have to forfeit. All of the players will be in the hospital.

LOL - now THAT is the kind of comment that puts down my team that I can get behind. Well done!

Or jail.....

nothing against you Caven, but this is typical fan banter, this is nothing I haven't heard from any Big 12 foe on here, you are not really gaining any argument points. You saying this is just like my last post when I said most people didn't find Iowa relevent until 2002.

My major problem with most Husker fans is that they still think it is the mid to late 90s. They act like they are the best football team around, when in actuality the team hasn't been any more nationally relevant recently than most other teams.

I have to disagree with this. Most people here on HB even don't think or talk as if were the 'best team around' and are more realistic than that. We're all big fans, myself included but I can tell you I definitely don't feel like were 'the best' football team out there. Far, far from it. We had a national championship caliber defense in 2009 but that's about as far as I go when it comes to stating that anything about us is 'the best' as far as recently anyway. I think our fanbase is one of the most passionate their is about their team but if you want to call that acting like we think our team is 'God's gift' then I'd say your interpretation of how our fans are as a whole is simply wrong.

• Fire 2

But..... Iowa Fan acts like THEY are the best team around, like they're going to kick Nebraska's butt just because (apparently) they're Iowa. Iowa Fan acts like they are God's Gift to Football - and they have nothing on which to base that. Nada.

What's worse is, they tend to come to Husker message boards and gripe when Husker Fans speak admiringly about the Huskers. Then they gripe when Iowa isn't bowed to. All the while (apparently) ignoring the kind of smack and nonsense that goes on at Iowa message boards about Nebraska.

It's a rough world, isn't it?

But..... Iowa Fan acts like THEY are the best team around, like they're going to kick Nebraska's butt just because (apparently) they're Iowa. Iowa Fan acts like they are God's Gift to Football - and they have nothing on which to base that. Nada.

What's worse is, they tend to come to Husker message boards and gripe when Husker Fans speak admiringly about the Huskers. Then they gripe when Iowa isn't bowed to. All the while (apparently) ignoring the kind of smack and nonsense that goes on at Iowa message boards about Nebraska.

It's a rough world, isn't it?

Agreed. I think that Caven is a good guy, but this is one of the major disconnects between Nebraska and Iowa. When Iowa fans boast, we don't care, but when we boast, Iowa fans consider us to be the cockiest, filthiest bunch of SOBs to walk on God's green earth.

Nebraska fans know that it is not the 90's anymore, but we look back fondly on that time. It was unreal, a great, great run. We deserved to be cocky and conceited back then, because, well, we were IT. And this is where Iowa fan does not get it.....we want to be back there, we want to be that team, that program again, and we know what it feels like to be THAT. To us, anything less is "substandard." Frankly, no other team has had the sort of run that Nebraska had during that time, so no other team can understand those expectations, whether they are warranted or not. Realistically we will never do that again, but like it or not, the bar is set much higher at Nebraska than it is most places.

But in the meantime, we wait. We wait through average but nice 9 and 10 win seasons. We wait and hope for something more. Will we see it, who knows, but we can hope and dream, right? Or is that only reserved for the Iowas and Missouris of the world?

Edit: I find it very hypocrital of Iowa fan that when Husker fans are optimistic about the next game or season, we are cocky, insufferable, and living in the 90's, but when any other team is optimistic, well, they are just optimistic. That is the epitome of an inferiority complex, Iowa fan.

Edited by 74Hunter
  • Fire 2
Funny, I feel the same way about the Nebraska fans I work with and class. They show none and are always running their mouth.

For example....? What do they say to you that shows "no class?"

Knappic - you asked and I answered. The complaints were that Iowa fans in Iowa talk crap to the Nebraska fans that live there and how Iowa is going to kick their ass and all the typical we are better blah blah blah - I stated that it is the same way here in Nebraska with the people that I work with and you asked me what they say. I suppose I could have quoted this post when making my response but I had wanted to finish reading the thread before I responded to you and at that point I was being too lazy to go back and find the post to quote it.

You chide me for ignoring what is said on the Iowa message boards and how Iowa fans act when I have acknowledged many times that many Iowa fans are morons - but as I said, the point of my post was answering your question about the real world here in Nebraska and had nothing to do with internet boards at all.

I actually don't have a problem with most of the smack talk that goes on around the boards (all of them). These kinds of boards tend to draw the most fanatic of fans. I hang out here because in general the level of football talk here is better than it is on our boards but it still is grating when people act like this isn't even going to be a game because you are Nebraska and that is that. It annoys me when Iowa fans take a similar attitude with anyone as well.

There is also a difference between talking admiringly about the Huskers and some of the comments that are made toward other teams. As far as bowing down to Iowa... WHY ARE YOU NOT DOWN ON YOUR KNEES YET MAGOTS!!! :P