Chris Brooks

I'm sure most Husker fans were as confused as I was when it came to Ted Gilmore not giving players opportunities to play. There was the weird situation with Niles playing in one game as a true freshman. There's the Meno Holt deal where he was a major contributor for his first three years, then suddenly couldn't get playing time at all as a senior. There's the Khiry Cooper situation where he merits significant playing time as a true freshman but can't get a pass thrown his way all season as a sophomore. Then there is the biggest head scratcher of them all. Chris Brooks never having a chance to really play at NU. Brooks came in as a big time recruit, leaves as an NFL wr, but wasn't good enough to play at NU. (Some will say that he only made an NFL scout team but you'd think that would be good enough to earn some P/T at NU.)

Well Chris Brooks addresses the whole not playing situation here.

Chris Brooks audio

If Brooks makes it with the Colts that's just going to kill me. That means we had the talented, capable WR we all thought we had, but we just didn't play him. For no good reason.

How many times during Brooks' career could we have used a clutch catch? Apparently not often enough to have put him out there.

I'd have to say unloading Gilmore was long overdue! This guy couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper sack, I never understood why we kept him. I know he was the recruiting coordinator and all but he was like dragging a boat anchor down the field! The cherry on top for me is the fact that he now can screw up with my favorite team to hate (USC), while also highlighting the idiocy of my favorite coach to laugh at...Lane Kiffin.

I hope I speak for all of Husker Nation when I say Gilmore was the worst coach on the staff and he needed to move on. I was calling for his departure and was really happy to see him go to U$C. I am expecting better results from our new WR coach. Time will tell...

I was always under the impression that he wasn't a great blocker. It was because of this that he seldom saw the field.

That's what we were told. I typically equated that to benching a fine RB because he can't pass.

Not quite. Downfield blocking is at least something a WR is expected to do from time to time. Hines Ward is not the greatest receiver in the world, but is notable for his tenacious blocking.

A better analogy might be benching a fine RB who can't catch.