Spring Game Pics

Nexus

What's wrong with this image right here?

http://gobarnstorm.com/wp-content/themes/springgame/content/untitled_8552_large.html

I'll tell ya, three defenders bringing down a RB, and he only has one arm securing the football. I can see if it was one defender to use just one arm to secure the ball, but 3 and you don't use the other arm to help secure the ball?! This is a technique issue that leads to fumbles.

Another example with Austin Jones

http://gobarnstorm.com/wp-content/themes/springgame/content/untitled_8688_large.html

I've seen a few shots with Turner when he is about to take a hit or is getting wrapped up, his arm comes up to protect the ball.

There's no one touching Rex though. I don't have a problem with anyone just having one arm holding the ball while running, even if there is just one person trying to tackle you, its legitimate to use the free arm if you can to break or push the guy off you. But once you become enveloped with multiple tacklers, the smart thing that i coach my kids is to tuck the ball in and secure it with both hands/arms and use your legs and upper body strength to push for extra yards or break the multiple tacklers off you.

i didn't get a good look at Cody's Green's fumble during the game, but i just now noticed that it seemed that his own teammate McDermott caused that fumble more than the defense did. It seemed there was a little bit of players running into one another on both sides of the ball.

Austin Jones' fumble was caused by a lineman crashing into him, I know that. I have no idea why Cody fumbled, but there was a pic on the OWH site that showed someone grabbing his arm.

It's always best to have two hands on the ball, but it's not always possible. But the pic of Okafor you posted (Fuzzy) may help explain some of Bo's comments about the lack of solid play by the RBs this Spring.

Martinez

Ball security is obviously an ongoing issue.....

That picture is taken out of context. Taylor was basically blindsided on the play because no one bothered to pick up the blitz. You can hardly expect a guy to tuck the ball when he's looking down field to make a play and someone is coming free off the edge behind him that he expecting to get blocked.

boy hardrick looks like a monster here....but even if you are 330 pounds, standing around doesn't help anyone

http://gobarnstorm.com/wp-content/themes/springgame/content/untitled_7586_large.html

I think depth perception is sort of important here. Jones' shadow is inside a dark green part of the field and Hardrick looks to be at least two yards away from him in a light green part of the field. Furthermore, you don't know if Hardrick had disengaged a block just mere seconds before and was running over there.

You don't get context from a picture in many cases.

Martinez

That picture is taken out of context. Taylor was basically blindsided on the play because no one bothered to pick up the blitz. You can hardly expect a guy to tuck the ball when he's looking down field to make a play and someone is coming free off the edge behind him that he expecting to get blocked.

This.

If you watch the replay, Martinez has his eyes down field and gets blind-sided. That type of situation is completely unavoidable if you're a quarterback. It's up to your linemen and running back to pick up that blitz. I'm actually surprised the coaches called something like that in the scrimmage.

In an unrelated-to-Martinez note - guys, these are pictures. You don't get context from a picture nor do you get the full picture. Picture merely capture a moment in time, and that moment can be easily misconstrued. If people are being careless with the ball that's one thing, but these pictures don't tell me much of anything about ball security.

Also, it's very tough to catch, but when Austin Jones was hit by Thaddeus Randle and fumbled the football, Jones had two hands on the ball and then at the exact instant he moved it to the side Randle came around and punched the ball out perfectly. Good play by Randle imho.

There are two other things that bother me a lot about ball security with this team.

One, Brandon Kinnie consistently holds the ball in one had and holds it out to his side as he is running. I saw him do it at least once in the spring game and I saw him do it a lot last year. In the non-con game against Washington, his long almost-touchdown reception showcased him doing it.

Lastly, why is it when our defenders are returning a fumble/interception they hold the ball in one hand out to the side? I know they're coached not to do that but it happens all the time. They're lucky they haven't fumbled it themselves.

Martinez

It's not like it's the first time he's palmed the ball instead of tucking it when going down...