The Bubba Starling Thread

Where there is smoke there is always fire,

No, actually these things usually turn out to be complete BS. The OWH has been trying to get ahold of Gammons to confirm his unfounded BS, which wasn't even published by the way, so far no dice. Twitter isn't a legit news source. It's an online hair salon, where ladies get together to gossip.

• Fire 2

Bo's statement, released today:

“As I discussed Saturday, Bubba Starling, his family and I are all on the same page, and have been throughout this entire process. Bubba has a lot at risk. We are all aware of that, and everyone involved is comfortable with how the situation is being handled," Pelini said in the statement.

“I have a complete understanding of how this situation works, and from the outset we have supported Bubba and his family as they make a very difficult decision. All of our interactions as a staff with Bubba and his family have been nothing but supportive, and have been very respectful from both sides. Any information contrary to that is not accurate. It is disappointing that media would comment on the situation without talking to any of the primary parties involved.”

So, Gammons basically talking out his ass. That's odd, since he's got a pretty good rep. Not sure what to make of it.

The only people that say he has a really good rep are the people that work in or for his parent company. As far as other people in the industry, they think his batting average is a little inflated.

The only people that say he has a really good rep are the people that work in or for his parent company. As far as other people in the industry, they think his batting average is a little inflated.

What are we talking about here, his personal reputation or his reputation for reporting factual information? I'm talking about him being a factual reporter, and Gammons' track record has been better than most of his peers over the years. That's why this is so baffling, because he didn't just get this wrong, he tweeted something that's, apparently, entirely not true. Usually there is some factual basis for what Gammons puts out there.

And to be clear, I'm NOT a Peter Gammons supporter. I don't care one way or the other.

That was my first reaction, too, Chris. According to MLB.com it is his twitter, as theknife posted yesterday. It's a very odd twitter account, filled with what I would consider to be nonsense.

That is the twitter account they promote on MLB.com for Gammons.

I think he was set up by the Royals mgmt. Who of the 4 parties involved benefits from this nonsense? NU? Starling/Boras? Royals? Gammons?

It is clear that only one of the 4 actually benefits if this hits and sticks. The Royals. Since most of Gammons sources are baseball related, he was used as a pawn. But once the info gets out to Boras/Starling that this is made up, it only riles up a fan base for a day or two then goes away.

The credibility of Gammons is now doo doo with all of the NU fan base. Starling is gone for at least 8 million.

^ I don't think that's really his twitter account. He probably doesn't even know that it was put out there yet.

Oh, I think it is his actual twitter account. The President of the United States may need staffers to often post stuff in his place. Not reporters. When Peter King or Peter Gammons post on twitter, I think it's Peter King and Peter Gammons posting.

Normally one of these swampy threads would make the death march of August almost bearable, but this tedious Bubba story is almost making it worse. The kid was never going to play football and no sane person would expect him to. You could go into hibernation between now and the 15th and you wouldn't miss anything remotely important about this story. It's over. Whether Bo yells or not, whether Bubba leverages or not, whether he practices or not, does not affect the outcome. He's gone. Wake me when it's over.

I don't know why I just got this picture in my mind, but can you imagine how awesome it would be to see Bo go nose to nose arguing a call with a baseball umpire.

Man, do I have a rumor for you! See, this one time, at a softball tournament.... chuckleshuffle

What happened, knapp?