The Bubba Starling Thread

I may be wrong, but didnt Khiry Cooper come and go through summer workouts after being drafted by the Angels? They have until August to decide for sure what they are going to do officially. But if he is going to be drafted so high, he may choose early, who knows.

Khiry did go through summer workouts here on campus. MLB draftees have until August 15th to come to an agreement with the teams that draft them. Many of these deals last up into the final minutes to get signed. Bubba will show up here for summer sessions of classes and workouts and then eventually sign his deal more likely than not. As been discussed before many a time, Bubba is saying all the right things, is intrigued by being the QB at NU, mom wants him to go to school, Dad has recently been laid off, and Scott Boras is his "advisor" and is not a fave among teams trying to sign his clients.

Bubba will go in the first round, probably in the first 15 picks. It is a tough decision for some and a no brainer for others. Harsh life to have when your first major pressing decision is to be a demigod at UNL or take a couple of mil to the bank as an 18 year old.

I don't see where Bubba fits into the QB race if he sticks with his commitment. For this reason, along with the obvious major contract he will be looking at, he really shouldn't come to NU. However, I have a sneaking suspicion he will anyway. I don't really know why.

Speaking as a teacher, take the money now. You can always go back to college if things dont work out but you cant always make 5 million dollars for signing your name on a paper.

Take 1 million of the bonus put it into a 3 month CD, roll it over ever 3 months while you are playing (and still getting your pay, remember we are just talkin about the bonus) then in 3-5 years if baseball doesnt work you still have that CD around with lots of cash. Not to mention the rest of your signing bonus (after taxes and agent fees) assuming you didnt spend it all.

Then, go to college.

Speaking as a teacher, take the money now. You can always go back to college if things dont work out but you cant always make 5 million dollars for signing your name on a paper.

Take 1 million of the bonus put it into a 3 month CD, roll it over ever 3 months while you are playing (and still getting your pay, remember we are just talkin about the bonus) then in 3-5 years if baseball doesnt work you still have that CD around with lots of cash. Not to mention the rest of your signing bonus (after taxes and agent fees) assuming you didnt spend it all.

Then, go to college.

yes, this is what he should do.

I may be wrong, but didnt Khiry Cooper come and go through summer workouts after being drafted by the Angels? They have until August to decide for sure what they are going to do officially. But if he is going to be drafted so high, he may choose early, who knows.

Thing with Khiry though was he was drafted in the 3rd round which offered a considerably less of a contract that Bubba will likely receive, considering that he could be a top 5 pick. I think if KC drafts him we have no chance.

Also, don't forget Bubba's dad just lost his job recently, so that money will look even more appetizing when Bubba gets offered.

Then, go to college.

Makes no sense to put more than 250k into a CD since FDIC will only insure that amount in case of bank failure, and the bank will not pay you jack sh#t for interest in the interim. CD's make no sense to invest in because they will pay you much less than stated inflation, and next to nothing compared to actual inflation when you take into account the Fed's money printing operation.

• Fire 2

Then, go to college.

Now is it possible if his baseball career doesn't workout, that he would come back to Nebraska? I know Brandon Weeden came back, but I don't know if he initially committed to OSU.

Then, go to college.

Makes no sense to put more than 250k into a CD since FDIC will only insure that amount in case of bank failure, and the bank will not pay you jack sh#t for interest in the interim. CD's make no sense to invest in because they will pay you much less than stated inflation, and next to nothing compared to actual inflation when you take into account the Fed's money printing operation.

Well I would not be to worried about the FDIC, I dont think the bank will get robbed and if it goes under there are bigger issues! haha

But yeah the CD might be a bad idea but I really dont know much about investments so I was just giving an example. I figured a short term CD could get about 3%???

Then, go to college.

Well I would not be to worried about the FDIC, I don't think the bank will get robbed and if it goes under there are bigger issues! ha ha

But yeah the CD might be a bad idea but I really don't know much about investments so I was just giving an example. I figured a short term CD could get about 3%???

try 1 1/2%.....there are much better places to put that kind of money to work, which are unavailable to the average petty investor.

Then, go to college.

Well I would not be to worried about the FDIC, I don't think the bank will get robbed and if it goes under there are bigger issues! ha ha

But yeah the CD might be a bad idea but I really don't know much about investments so I was just giving an example. I figured a short term CD could get about 3%???

try 1 1/2%.....there are much better places to put that kind of money to work, which are unavailable to the average petty investor.

the moral was to take the money now because there is not guarentee later. I don't care if he buries it in his back yard.