The Offense Cannot Be So Predictable This Year

It is imperative that the offense not be so predictable this year. This means that we need to develop a better passing game and concentrate on making tough catches as well as the easy ones.

Speed is also very important and I hope that Beck brings something refreshing to the table this season. We really shouldnt have to rely on the defense game in and game out to win it for us. if TM has developed into a better passer he won have to run so much and thus avoid a lot of injuries. Teams wouldn't know what to think if he only carried the ball 10-15 times a game

My issue is.......in the back of my mind...........this offense is going to be one-dimensional. I hope I'm wrong and I very well may be and this is based off of nothing other than my gut feeling. I wasn't too high on the whole Beck being hired as the OC situation. I want him to make me a believer though............

Jamal Turner is my X factor for this year's offense. His ability to catch short, quick route patterns in space is going to be key. If he and TMart can connect on these a lot it will open up the offense. Plus, Rex will need another back to help carry the load...someone will need to emerge.

If this ends up being hand the ball to Rex and zone read by TMart, we are in trouble. First because teams have now defended our zone read well and second if we do this we are bound to take on injuries if Rex and TMart are taking hits nearly every down.

Hoping Beck has this offense where it needs to be. We'll just have to see when the season starts.

My issue is.......in the back of my mind...........this offense is going to be one-dimensional. I hope I'm wrong and I very well may be and this is based off of nothing other than my gut feeling. I wasn't too high on the whole Beck being hired as the OC situation. I want him to make me a believer though............

I'm worried about this too. I know we can run the ball, but there's gonna be times where that dog's just not going to hunt.

I think we've got good recieving talent, I'm just worried about how they're going to get the ball.

It's not like one dimensional is bad. We won a few championships being called one dimensional. As long as we can execute the plays we run we'll be fine. We're not going to be the scoring explosion team of the 80's. Although we could be in the 2012 season.

I think our offense will be middle of the B1G pack. Our defense will be 1st or 2nd which should be enuf to get us to Indy.

We won't go undefeated next year but a BCS bowl or falling all the way to the Alamo bowl wouldn't surprise me.

This subject has been talked ad nauseum on this forum.

It's not like one dimensional is bad. We won a few championships being called one dimensional. As long as we can execute the plays we run we'll be fine. We're not going to be the scoring explosion team of the 80's. Although we could be in the 2012 season.

I think our offense will be middle of the B1G pack. Our defense will be 1st or 2nd which should be enuf to get us to Indy.

We won't go undefeated next year but a BCS bowl or falling all the way to the Alamo bowl wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, those one-dimensional offenses that TO ran for two decades just sucked. All those wins and NCs.....so what? Frank winning the BigXII, three final top 10 rankings and playing in the NC game with it sucked too.

Thank God we ditched that crap for our unstoppable "multiple" fluffball. Clowhahan & Callawatts saved our bacon.

Yeah, those one-dimensional offenses that TO ran for two decades just sucked. All those wins and NCs.....so what? Frank winning the BigXII, three final top 10 rankings and playing in the NC game with it sucked too.

Thank God we ditched that crap for our unstoppable "multiple" fluffball. Clowhahan & Callawatts saved our bacon.

Except Bo doesn't seem to be getting big backs to pound the ball or the lineman for it. TO constantly got those. which is why it worked. The main bad thing about Clownahan was he couldn't keep a team motivated.

A simple solution to this would be to develop the passing game.... but in any event it is imperative that we keep the defense from having to stay on the field for so long. Offenses like Oregon, Boise St., OU and similar offenses have speed and deception, and , I believe that the more fun the offense is the more the players will buy into it.

We've heard a lot this season about the players beginning to learn why they're doing things rather than just doing things because they're told to do them. Beck specifically said something to this regard. I'm wondering if this is really going to have a large impact on the team.

I don't know how much stock to put into it, however, mainly because it seems like a basic coaching principle to make sure your players understand WHY they're doing something. So why wouldn't Watson do it as a coach? It's extremely cliche but we won't know until the season starts. A crystal ball would be great right now.

A simple solution to this would be to develop the passing game.... but in any event it is imperative that we keep the defense from having to stay on the field for so long. Offenses like Oregon, Boise St., OU and similar offenses have speed and deception, and , I believe that the more fun the offense is the more the players will buy into it.

We had a lot of quick scoring drives before Martinez got hurt, so I don't know if it's so much as developing the passing game as it is developing the offense itself.

Personally I don't think it can be understated how important it is to pick an offense and stick with it. Small changes happen every year but the philosophies, concepts and practices need to stay the same. We changed the offense three times in three years under Pelini and you don't build consistency when you have to change that often.