Stopping the run key to Huskers' title run

GSG

This may have been the best possible year for Nebraska to join the Big Ten.

That perfect timing isn't merely because of the off-field issues that have hit six-time defending Big Ten champion Ohio State and allowed the Huskers to emerge as the conference's preseason favorite.

Even if Ohio State were at full strength, the Big Ten's run-oriented style of play makes Nebraska's defense a perfect fit for the league in this particular season.

Such a move might not seem ideal for a Nebraska program that ranked third in pass efficiency defense and just 63rd in run defense last season, but the makeup of this season's "Blackshirts" should allow for a smooth transition. Nebraska heads into its inaugural season in the Big Ten with arguably the nation's best defensive tackle (Jared Crick) and one of the best linebackers (Lavonte David).

"We pride ourselves on stopping the run, not only as a defense but as a defensive line," Crick says. "Our saying is that you've got to earn the right to rush the passer. We love playing the run. It's kind of our trademark."

They will get plenty of chances to stop the run this fall.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1233314

BIG 12 Rushing Passing

Nebraska 9th 113th

Baylor 24th 19th

Kansas State 22nd 92nd

Oklahoma State 36th 2nd

Texas A&M 46th 20th

Texas 66th 50th

Missouri 57th 33rd

Iowa State 72nd 95th

Texas Tech 75th 7th

Oklahoma 83rd 3rd

Colorado 85th 59th

Kansas 87th 103rd

BIG TEN Rushing Passing

Illinois 11th 111th

Wisconsin 12th 75th

Michigan 13th 36th

Ohio State 14th 54th

Purdue 49th 112th

Northwestern 58th 48th

Michigan State 64th 46th

Iowa 70th 49th

Penn State 74th 52nd

Minnesota 86th 57th

Indiana 112th 14th

Reordered for rushing rank. The top third of the B1G does have better rushing stats than the Big 12. But the conference as a whole doesn't have *that* much better ground game.

BIG 12 Rushing Passing

Nebraska 9th 113th

Baylor 24th 19th

Kansas State 22nd 92nd

Oklahoma State 36th 2nd

Texas A&M 46th 20th

Texas 66th 50th

Missouri 57th 33rd

Iowa State 72nd 95th

Texas Tech 75th 7th

Oklahoma 83rd 3rd

Colorado 85th 59th

Kansas 87th 103rd

BIG TEN Rushing Passing

Illinois 11th 111th

Wisconsin 12th 75th

Michigan 13th 36th

Ohio State 14th 54th

Purdue 49th 112th

Northwestern 58th 48th

Michigan State 64th 46th

Iowa 70th 49th

Penn State 74th 52nd

Minnesota 86th 57th

Indiana 112th 14th

Reordered for rushing rank. The top third of the B1G does have better rushing stats than the Big 12. But the conference as a whole doesn't have *that* much better ground game.

Most of that is Iowas fault. 70th I mean come on. I know the rb problems they had and that made a BIG difference. Ill should still be good @running. Wiskey should still be, I can see Mich sliding (most of those yards were qb in non-conf games), Oh St might slip a bit but should be ok and Iowa should make a very large improvment, if they can stay out of trouble, stay healthy and keep their d!cks in their pants or atleast use some protection, I mean really. Mich St should post better than last year as well. Purdue is trying and doing fairly well at putting together a ground game and brings back some talent.

It could be a better year than last for the ground attack in the B10.

The rush attack is the core issue for our defense. We stop the run and we'll pretty much hold every offense down. If we struggle to stop the run...it's insight bowl here we come.

Fortunately, we have the deepest DT rotation we've had in several years. It really helps to be able to rotate throughout the game to give guys a breather. Unless you happen to have Ndamukong Suh on your team.

BIG 12 Rushing Passing

Nebraska 9th 113th

Baylor 24th 19th

Kansas State 22nd 92nd

Oklahoma State 36th 2nd

Texas A&M 46th 20th

Texas 66th 50th

Missouri 57th 33rd

Iowa State 72nd 95th

Texas Tech 75th 7th

Oklahoma 83rd 3rd

Colorado 85th 59th

Kansas 87th 103rd

BIG TEN Rushing Passing

Illinois 11th 111th

Wisconsin 12th 75th

Michigan 13th 36th

Ohio State 14th 54th

Purdue 49th 112th

Northwestern 58th 48th

Michigan State 64th 46th

Iowa 70th 49th

Penn State 74th 52nd

Minnesota 86th 57th

Indiana 112th 14th

Most of that is Iowas fault. 70th I mean come on. I know the rb problems they had and that made a BIG difference. Ill should still be good @running. Wiskey should still be, I can see Mich sliding (most of those yards were qb in non-conf games), Oh St might slip a bit but should be ok and Iowa should make a very large improvment, if they can stay out of trouble, stay healthy and keep their d!cks in their pants or atleast use some protection, I mean really. Mich St should post better than last year as well. Purdue is trying and doing fairly well at putting together a ground game and brings back some talent.

Yeah, Iowa's ground attack wasn't anything to write home about last year. But I’m surprised to see Penn State with such crappy running stats. For some reason I had the impression that the lions had a better ground game.
BIG 12 Rushing Passing

Nebraska 9th 113th

Baylor 24th 19th

Kansas State 22nd 92nd

Oklahoma State 36th 2nd

Texas A&M 46th 20th

Texas 66th 50th

Missouri 57th 33rd

Iowa State 72nd 95th

Texas Tech 75th 7th

Oklahoma 83rd 3rd

Colorado 85th 59th

Kansas 87th 103rd

BIG TEN Rushing Passing

Illinois 11th 111th

Wisconsin 12th 75th

Michigan 13th 36th

Ohio State 14th 54th

Purdue 49th 112th

Northwestern 58th 48th

Michigan State 64th 46th

Iowa 70th 49th

Penn State 74th 52nd

Minnesota 86th 57th

Indiana 112th 14th

Yeah, Iowa's ground attack wasn't anything to write home about last year. But I’m surprised to see Penn State with such crappy running stats. For some reason I had the impression that the lions had a better ground game.

Penn St is about two seasons from becoming bottom feeders. They can show up for some games and give a good fight, but over all if you struggle to much with them, your middle of the pack.

We will stop the run. We will stop the pass.

So your offense only needs to score FGs and you should have the national championship in the bag? I think they can find a way to put up at least a 3 spot on the board every game.

Almost took away Texas's shot to play in the NC game in 2009, and we only scored 4 field goals, so yeah, the defense is that good...

So your offense only needs to score FGs and you should have the national championship in the bag? I think they can find a way to put up at least a 3 spot on the board every game.

Almost took away Texas's shot to play in the NC game in 2009, and we only scored 4 field goals, so yeah, the defense is that good...

2009 != 2011.

I understand Nebraska has a good defense but some fans make it out to be the Steel Curtain....it isn't. Good defensive play isn't anything new in the Big 10. Don't take this as a shot at Nebraska football because it isn't.

I understand Nebraska has a good defense but some fans make it out to be the Steel Curtain....it isn't. Good defensive play isn't anything new in the Big 10. Don't take this as a shot at Nebraska football because it isn't.

What's wrong with celebrating the 2009 defense? You're telling me that if your team's defense was...

9th in Rushing Defense

1st in Pass Efficiency Defense

1st in Scoring Defense

7th in Total Defense

...that you wouldn't recall that with pride two years later?

This year's Blackshirts have the potential to be near these numbers, even more so than 2010, with legit first team All-Americans at each level. There's traditional good defense that you see in the Big Ten, and there's great defense that doesn't come along all that often. 2009 was great defense. 2011 has a chance at being great. I don't think saying so is out of line.

2009 != 2011.

Steel Curtain? Yeah, you’re right. The NU players are amateur athletes. Unlike some of the guys in the headlines these past couple of months.

2009 != 2011.

well here is the thing, the defense is that good, im not taking anything away from the big 10 but i honestly think that the big 10 will be shocked with how good the blackshirts really are, they know they are good, but idk if they realize just how good. i also think that the huskers might be a little surprised with just how physical some of the big 10 teams will be, all i know for sure is i am super ready for the season to see how things turn out!

:bigredn: GBR